Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Tragedy

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's Tragedy

I know it's not cycling related but it's just too important to ignore.

My heart goes out to the families of the students at Va Tech. With 3 in college, I can only imagine what some families must be dealing with right now. Just unthinkable.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at the other big state university in Va. We're all just stunned.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no words. God, my heart is breaking over this. I'm about to ride, perhaps that will help but this is senseless and there's no way to understand it.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thoughts were of my son at ECU. What would I do if something like that happened at his school. All my prayers go out to the families of the fallen. This is a sad, sad day.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just so hard to imagine this can be going on. What the hell is wrong with people. I just can't believe it could be so bad where you have to shoot up a whole school. Something has to be done. It just like we were talking about earlier where the people are running people off the road, shooting at cars on the highways, man this is really getting crazy. What to do, I don't know.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stunned. This is a major tragedy, another horribly sad day in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable!! What must have been going through the perpetrator's mind while carrying out this hideous action? The epitome of self centered......

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a redneck from the Midwest and about the biggest 2nd amendment guy you will ever find. Today has me searching my heart to see if I'm still there. I am very sorry for the incredible and pointless loss this has brought to so many over what will I'm sure will turn out to be not much in the end. A sad day for our Nation and for Virginia.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I'm a redneck from the Midwest and about the biggest 2nd amendment guy you will ever find. Today has me searching my heart to see if I'm still there. I am very sorry for the incredible and pointless loss this has brought to so many over what will I'm sure will turn out to be not much in the end. A sad day for our Nation and for Virginia.
    +1
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I'm a redneck from the Midwest and about the biggest 2nd amendment guy you will ever find. Today has me searching my heart to see if I'm still there. ...
    Thanks for an honest and sensitive assessment. There must be a rational middle ground somewhere in the 2nd Amendment debate.

With one son in college (graduating senior at UCSD, poised to enter the PhD program in nuclear physics this fall) and one college-bound, I have alot of empathy for the parents of the victims.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us in the 50+ Forum are either the parents of college students, the parents of college-age kids, or could be. That's my perpsective. What it would be like to lose a child like this.

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some of us graduated from Tech. Class of '79. Lived in East AJ for a year.
    This has been a hard day.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heart goes out to everyone involved and those whose loved ones attend the school and former students alike. What a horrific event.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was such a senseless tragedy.

It's almost to the point that I hate to turn on the news. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Normal and Balanced people will feel sorrow and compassion for the victims and families.

Unfortunately there are Evil and Deranged people and animals out there. I am afraid that they will always be there. Some of these may even be in a position of power unless we recognize them and stop them.

Are we ready to empower authorities to stop them?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Digital Gee; 04-17-07 at 12:55 AM.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When this hit the news it was reported as the worst school death count in US history. When Columbine was in the news there was a word about a school massacre in 1905 or around there of 96 killed by a madman somewhere in Deluth or up North. I could find nothing on the net about it so I am wondering if it is true or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is a singer. She had a choice of outreach venues this spring. Virginia and Colorado. On purely musical considerations, she chose Colorado, and she has been sending me emails from there.

In my last email to her, I noted how ironic it is that, upon hearing today's tragic news, I breathed such a sigh of relief that she is in Colorado and not Virginia.

Of course, it's just a father's unjustifiable worrying/relief. Probably, she wouldn't have been close to the site of today's tragic occurrences, and, it isn't fair to continually think of Colorado in terms of the tragedy that occurred at Columbine (her tour took her through that community).

The news today is as sad as it gets. My heart and my prayers go out to those who lost friends/children in that tragedy.

Caruso

Too Many...Not Enough LaManchaDQ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am saddened deeply at not only the death of so many innocent lives. I am frustrated at the possibility that much of the carnage could have been stopped if campus authorities had acted quickly to lock down the campus and involve law enforcement.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us in the 50+ Forum are either the parents of college students, the parents of college-age kids, or could be. That's my perpsective. What it would be like to lose a child like this.
    Exactly my thought. As our sons and daughters are on the outset of discovering themselves and preparing for their future, I simply can't imagine the grief these parents are experiencing.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched as the police cars streamed towards Columbine - I was on a bike ride near the vicinity. We viewed the impromptu memorial of flowers and other memorabilia along the fences and grass around Columbine.

This brings back terrible memories. A sad day.

It keeps occurring to me that this happens daily in Baghdad.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It keeps occurring to me that this happens daily in Baghdad.
    Indeed. This is a sad reality that is often lost when the news concentrates only on American troop losses (as sad and horrible as they are). We have lost sight of just how devastating this war has been and continues to be.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from the horror and sadness that an event like this brings, it also brings, unfortunately, the media who demonstrate, time and time again, how insensitive and clueless they can be. I can't stand it when a reporter shoves a microphone into a grief-stricken mother or father in shock, asking for their reaction. It's just sickening and such a complete and total invasion of their privacy.

A moment ago, I heard a reporter revealing the name of one of the victims at Virginia Tech, saying, "So and so was among the victims. I'm told he was well-liked."

Excuse me??? WTF is that kind of comment? Whether he was liked, or not liked, is completely irrelevent. And this is just one small example of Journalism 101 from someone who clearly did not graduate near the top of her class.

I try to stay on top of what's happening, but I just can't watch the news. Those so-called journalists really bug me. Okay, rant over.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Aside from the horror and sadness that an event like this brings, it also brings, unfortunately, the media who demonstrate, time and time again, how insensitive and clueless they can be. I can't stand it when a reporter shoves a microphone into a grief-stricken mother or father in shock, asking for their reaction. It's just sickening and such a complete and total invasion of their privacy.

A moment ago, I heard a reporter revealing the name of one of the victims at Virginia Tech, saying, "So and so was among the victims. I'm told he was well-liked."

Excuse me??? WTF is that kind of comment? Whether he was liked, or not liked, is completely irrelevent. And this is just one small example of Journalism 101 from someone who clearly did not graduate near the top of her class.

I try to stay on top of what's happening, but I just can't watch the news. Those so-called journalists really bug me. Okay, rant over.
    +1K

My Bikes
    Street Machine, Rans Force 5, Cannondale R500, Schwinn Circuit, Dawes Double Blue
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one deserves this kind of loss, but as I heard if it, my first reaction was to think that this is what the people in Iraq live with every day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast