Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rode My Age-60-A Great Day (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/288729-rode-my-age-60-great-day.html)

Mojo Slim 04-17-07 12:10 AM

Rode My Age-60-A Great Day

Today is my 60th birthday. Yesterday, 7 members of our bike club joined me for a 60 mile ride to commemorate.

We started at 10:00 am downtown, in 42 degree weather. The plan was to ride up toward Bucks Lake, here in Plumas County, CA, until we hit the snow line. The ride was at a nice, moderate pace, with lots of socializing.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...alleycropr.jpg Here's the group chugging along. We hadn't seen a car for miles.

We hit the snow at mile 14, after a 4 mile climb, that had been preceded by several small hills. A breeze had come up, and it was darn cold.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...eSnowLiner.jpg

We started back down the hill. Now, usually, one can cruise at 30 to even 40 miles an hour on this road. The headwind was so bad, we had to keep it closer to 20. There a few "whoas" as the gusts hit us, making balance a challenge.

We detoured for another little 2 1/2 climb, then back to the starting point, where, at 35 miles, the Beautiful Mrs. Slim waited with birthday cake for all.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...keatDSPIIr.jpg

After cake, we proceed for the remainder of the ride, mostly flat, with three short, steep hills to keep us honest. The wind died and the sun tried to come out. All-in-all, it was a great ride. I felt like I could have done another 60 miles. Not every one knew everyone at the beginning of the ride, but I saw lots of conversations, hand shaking and laughing as we rode. I like rides like that. For me, the day was near perfect. And a great way to spend one's 60th birthday.

Digital Gee 04-17-07 12:17 AM

:bday:

Great report! Hope my 60th is as much fun as yours...

Mojo Slim 04-17-07 12:19 AM

DG. You spend too much time here. I hadn't even finished editing my story (I messed up the pictures). But I'm glad someone's up and reading!

Digital Gee 04-17-07 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
DG. You spend too much time here. I hadn't even finished editing my story (I messed up the pictures). But I'm glad someone's up and reading!

I was up finishing my taxes. Ugh. Took a break to read some GOOD news! :)

Bill Kapaun 04-17-07 12:36 AM

So how's it feel to be a Sexagenarian?:)
Next January for me.

Mojo Slim 04-17-07 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Next January for me.

Is that what I am? I thought I was a Methodist. Actually, if feels great. As has been said elsewhere on this forum, 60 is the new 40 and cycling has made a world of difference in my retired life. I'm in great shape and have made many new friends because of my bike.

BluesDawg 04-17-07 04:07 AM

Nice!

maddmaxx 04-17-07 04:46 AM

Welcome to the club.......happy birthday

Jet Travis 04-17-07 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

Sexagenarian? Now, that sounds like fun.

Floyd 04-17-07 05:29 AM

Sounds like a great ride to me, cept for the wind... and even that is better than rain... glad you had fun.............peace

Beverly 04-17-07 05:53 AM

What a wonderful way to celebrate the big 60!

jppe 04-17-07 07:25 AM

Great, great ride for a Birthday ride!!! It doesn't sound like you couldn't have had a better "event" -the nice thing was it just evolved into a terrific day. For me, those are real keepers for riding days. One of the reasons we ride!

MichiganMike 04-17-07 07:34 AM

Nice scenery. Very cool ride. Happy Birthday. Nice you could share the ride with some friends.

Bud Bent 04-17-07 08:04 AM

Happy Bday, MS. Great ride!

Louis 04-17-07 09:29 AM

Happy 60th Birthday Mojo Slim. :beer: Nice ride report for a sexagenarian.:D

LynnH 04-17-07 09:51 AM

Happy Happy Birthday!

card 04-17-07 09:55 AM

Happy B'day, Slim. Welcome to 60!

Great ride report.

Terrierman 04-17-07 10:22 AM

Happy Birthday and great ride. Sure looks like you had some good fun there.

cheeseflavor 04-17-07 10:37 AM

Congratulations Mojo! Wonderful scenery and good friends on a bike ride. Can't ask for more than that.

Steve

George 04-17-07 11:18 AM

Beautiful ride, but everytime I see snow I get cold. I worked outside in the north country and I like it warm now. Summer is another story. Anyhow happy birthday, and many more, it looks like you had a good time.

bac 04-17-07 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Today is my 60th birthday. Yesterday, 7 members of our bike club joined me for a 60 mile ride to commemorate.

Good for you, and what great pix!!! :)

... Brad

stapfam 04-17-07 12:42 PM

Whats with the hamper? On a cold day like this it should have been a cafe- but The sun looks as though it was worth a picnic. Well done on the ride and Many more of them.

papedaler 04-17-07 02:49 PM

Yesterday was my 56th birthday and I had hoped to do my 56 mile ride, but i woke up to rain, cold and wind gusts up to 50 mph, so I rolled over and went back to bed.
By the weekend it is supose to get up into the 50's and 60's so I'll give it a try then.

Congrats on your 60th.

doctor j 04-17-07 06:12 PM

Mojo, congratulations on the memorable birthday and the ride! Great pix!

Terex 04-17-07 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papedaler
Yesterday was my 56th birthday and I had hoped to do my 56 mile ride, but i woke up to rain, cold and wind gusts up to 50 mph, so I rolled over and went back to bed.
By the weekend it is supose to get up into the 50's and 60's so I'll give it a try then.

Congrats on your 60th.

I'm scheduled to lead a 2x56 ride in May for my birthday. If my Grandfather could do a headstand every year on his birthday until he was about 90, I figure I can do a 2x my age ride standing on my head! Supposed to be mid-sixties here this weekend. Finally! How I long for the 70 degree weather of January.