Thread: Blood Pressure

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood Pressure

I'm kinda new to cycling and I was wondering how or if cycling has effected your blood pressure (hopefully decreasing it). Mine is starting to rise and I want to get it back into the "normal" range through exerise and weight loss (easier said then done). thanks had a great day.
    Specialized Allez

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same situation. Have started walking more (3-3.5 miles per day with dogs). Have cut back salt, eating more veggies & fruits. Losing a few pounds is supposed to be one of the quickest ways to lower bp. Mine is coming down slowly. It's normal (120/72) at times but goes up to 150's over 80's at other times. It used to be 110/70 when I was younger & friskier. Good luck to you.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlake
    I'm kinda new to cycling and I was wondering how or if cycling has effected your blood pressure (hopefully decreasing it). Mine is starting to rise and I want to get it back into the "normal" range through exerise and weight loss (easier said then done). thanks had a great day.
    YES- weight loss, diet, exercise.

BTW, right after intense aerobic exercise, your blood pressure will go down temporarily for a few hours.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlake
    I'm fighting the same thing. Been cycling for 15 years. Got up to 205 lbs with the help of lots of beer and rich food. I'm now down to 185 and completely changed my eating. I try to ride 4-6 days a week from 1.5 to 4 hours.

Having said all the above, I think what helped lower my blood pressure the most was quitting drinking and eliminating all caffeine. Those were causing my blood pressure to spike.

This week my blood pressure medicine was decreased by a third. Hopefully w/the riding and eating correctly, I can lose another 15-20 lbs and take no medicine. BTW, I'm 60 yrs old.

Good luck w/the BP.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The secrets to blood pressure control are: 1) weight loss; 2) sodium restriction for those who retain salt (I do); 3) calcium; 4) low-fat diet, which lowers blood viscosity and helps with item 1; 5) stress reduction, relaxation, meditation (I listen to classical music); 6) alcohol and caffeine reduction (since I never started either, I can't quit ); 7) aerobic exercise. As usual, no simple single magic bullet, but many lifestyle-related adjustments working synergistically.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what works for you, work with your health care provider, don't expect instant results. Ride your bike.
    There is no medical consensus that caffeine contributes to cardiovascular disease. (As a caffeine-dependent RN, I try to keep up with these things.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    Do what works for you, work with your health care provider, don't expect instant results. Ride your bike.
    Above answers are correct, but remember there is also family history component. You may be "riding against the wind", so don't get too frustrated and keep doing the right things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My blood pressure has been "boderline" high for years. However, it's always within normal range when I get at least 5 - 6 hours of riding in per week. For me this has been a more effective than diet, weight control, other forms of stress management, etc.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They keep lowering "normal" blood pressure to "pre dead(hypertension)" status. Yesterday you were fit as a fiddle and the next thing you know your in trouble.

Exercise, diet, overall health may be the key to blood pressure control.