Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How many hours instead of miles (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/289015-how-many-hours-instead-miles.html)

card 04-17-07 08:15 PM

How many hours instead of miles

Most seem to post how many miles they have ridden a certain day; however, some of us are old and slow. I try to ride 2-3 hours at a time, 3 to 5 times a week. Depending on which bike I'm riding, and the direction and strength of the wind, I average about 8.5 mph to 14.5 mph. Where I live is hilly and windy---summers are scorchers. When I'm touring, I'm even slower--I guess that's why I've ridden by myself all these years.

So, just curious how much time is spent putting in the miles you all do.

Big Paulie 04-17-07 09:55 PM

I usually average 10 MPH overall mileage..including all stops. Rolling average is usually between 13 and 15 MPH. But I've found that the number of hours you ride is a more meaningful number, because a fast ride is invariably wind aided, and a slow ride wind eroded. So a fifty mile ride with tailwind takes less time than fifty miles with a headwind. Rather than get all puffed up with a false "fast ride" or bummed out with a false "slow ride," the number of riding hours always reflects my true effort.

oilman_15106 04-17-07 10:16 PM

4 hour ride today. But mileage is still a good way to keep score.

DanteB 04-17-07 10:48 PM

So for this year I've ridden 2,098 miles in 125 hours.

Mojo Slim 04-17-07 10:59 PM

I keep track of total hours exercised in a week. My goal is to do 10 hours, at least, as I read that was a good goal. I count biking and trips to the health club where I might do either/or strength training or aerobic stuff. I was able to average 10.5 hours a week in 2006. A couple of long bike rides really help.

lhbernhardt 04-17-07 11:46 PM

Miles/kilometers or hours; doesn't matter. What gets measured gets done.

Greg Lemond used hours.

- L.

hayduke1 04-18-07 01:18 AM

hours vs miles

i also prefer hours, and use a pulse monitor to keep from slacking off too much

old and new 04-18-07 01:36 AM

card, that seems good to me, you've lasted for years,I'd guess you've avoided injury.Speed's not bad either.To me that's a good average all around regime in a season.In my 30's I'd do over 10 a week,only 8 months out of the year at best.I have much ,much more time now,way out of shape,lucky to get 5 hrs.a week. As for miles, maybe a little over a thousand in a summer.My riding started slow and late,autumn too.No winter riding hardly.I moved down south,that will change.Some of you average 10mph..kinda fast.I always lived in mountains,it's flat here on the coast. I feel a different type of fatigue so far,it takes time.

dauphin 04-18-07 01:39 AM

82 hours and 968 miles so far in 07

martianone 04-18-07 02:48 AM

don't pay huge attention to my time or distance,
weather, road condition and motivation are a factor,
half an hr or two hrs, not sure it matters-
the satisfaction of riding is my goal.

tonphil1960 04-18-07 03:00 AM

Boy, I wish I had the time to get in hours like that. If I can get 4 hours a week I am lucky. Not enough but better than nothing. Work sucks!
I think hours is a good way to go though, you are riding and regardless of the miles you are still getting the exersise.

T

rodrigaj 04-18-07 04:24 AM

In order of importance (to me): Hours...Cadence...Heart beats...Miles...Elevation.

Getting used to >90RPM makes for a great aerobic workout. Monitoring your HR allows for short (10min) Zone 4 workouts with zone 2 recovery. I find that to be a great endurance builder. Pedaling at >90RPM in Zone 3 for an hour makes you feel like Lance.

BluesDawg 04-18-07 04:33 AM

I don't track any of it. I'll notice my time, distance and speed for an individual ride while I'm doing it, but I don't keep a record of it.

BSLeVan 04-18-07 05:09 AM

My hours are less flexible than I would like. Hence, my riding times tend to be scheduled along with all of the other demands in my life. Hence, I know how many hours I'll ride this week, and how many next week. Mileage, however, will vary a fair amount from week to week, depending on the kind of shape I'm in, my training goals for the week, the weather, and other variables. I keep track of miles, but wish I had a need to keep track of hours!

DnvrFox 04-18-07 05:44 AM

Smiles per mile!

The Weak Link 04-18-07 06:00 AM

With all the Garmin 305 generated data, the one that seems to correlate most closely to how shot I feel at the end is the elevation. If I climb 1000-2000 ft. on the road I consider that a pretty good workout.

But I'm with DnvrFox on this one: an even better measure of the quality of a ride is the amount of endorphins generated. After my road ride yesterday evening I was actually in a good mood, not a small accomplishment given the times we live in.

PaulH 04-18-07 06:20 AM

last year, I rode about 2,500 miles. Two five mile trips, five days a week. My door to door average is about 10 mph, so 250 hours. As has been suggested, the best parameter is "smiles per mile."

Paul

Beverly 04-18-07 06:39 AM

I have a Garmin so it records everything. I report miles to the cycling club and hours to the park program. I think Denver's "smiles per miles" is probably the best way to measure our biking:)

RDW3261 04-18-07 06:40 AM

I do not record my mph. I try and average 13 to 16 mph, but on some days like yesterday I am lucky to average 9 mph. Rode on a very wet limestone trail. I wear a heart monitor and try and get in between 30 to 60 minute a day where my heart rate is in the zone.

stonecrd 04-18-07 07:43 AM

Last year I rode 5,334 miles and averaged 18.47mph = 288.8 hours. This year I have 1,332 miles at 18.39mph avg = 72.3 hours. My usual week is 20.5mi Tues-Fri at about 1.1 hours a day and then a 61mi ride on Sundays which takes around 3.5hrs for a total of about 8hrs/wk. I try to shoot for 100mi/wk minimum but there are plenty of times when I only get 50-80mi

George 04-18-07 07:55 AM

I wont have a full year in until July, but so far I have 2528 miles in with 82 hours of riding. The only reason I keep track of it is for maintenance as well as the work out. Like you said, with the wind and all the other factors mean a lot more than just speed.

George 04-18-07 08:09 AM

I think my figures are wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by George
I wont have a full year in until July, but so far I have 2528 miles in with 82 hours of riding. The only reason I keep track of it is for maintenance as well as the work out. Like you said, with the wind and all the other factors mean a lot more than just speed.

I copied the miles from the computer and the average, but the average doesn't look right. How do you figure it?

crtreedude 04-18-07 08:17 AM

I really only think in terms of days on bike. Since it is my vehicle for commuting, I get the kilometers in and since I can tend to be impatient at times, the speed uphill is there too.

George 04-18-07 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George
I copied the miles from the computer and the average, but the average doesn't look right. How do you figure it?

I changed bikes and computers so I'm averageing 10, WOW.

bobby c 04-18-07 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodrigaj
In order of importance (to me): Hours...Cadence...Heart beats...Miles...Elevation.

Getting used to >90RPM makes for a great aerobic workout. Monitoring your HR allows for short (10min) Zone 4 workouts with zone 2 recovery. I find that to be a great endurance builder. Pedaling at >90RPM in Zone 3 for an hour makes you feel like Lance.

Hi Rodrigaj,

Just got a Garmin 305 and am looking at cadence. For your 90 RPM, what is your course - mostly flat? I started observing cadence and I find if I'm not paying attention, I like to ride between 70 & 80. If I pay attention, I can get it up, but not on hills. Did you find it difficult to make a jump (assuming you started lower)?

Bob