Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many hours instead of miles

Most seem to post how many miles they have ridden a certain day; however, some of us are old and slow. I try to ride 2-3 hours at a time, 3 to 5 times a week. Depending on which bike I'm riding, and the direction and strength of the wind, I average about 8.5 mph to 14.5 mph. Where I live is hilly and windy---summers are scorchers. When I'm touring, I'm even slower--I guess that's why I've ridden by myself all these years.

So, just curious how much time is spent putting in the miles you all do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually average 10 MPH overall mileage..including all stops. Rolling average is usually between 13 and 15 MPH. But I've found that the number of hours you ride is a more meaningful number, because a fast ride is invariably wind aided, and a slow ride wind eroded. So a fifty mile ride with tailwind takes less time than fifty miles with a headwind. Rather than get all puffed up with a false "fast ride" or bummed out with a false "slow ride," the number of riding hours always reflects my true effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 hour ride today. But mileage is still a good way to keep score.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for this year I've ridden 2,098 miles in 125 hours.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep track of total hours exercised in a week. My goal is to do 10 hours, at least, as I read that was a good goal. I count biking and trips to the health club where I might do either/or strength training or aerobic stuff. I was able to average 10.5 hours a week in 2006. A couple of long bike rides really help.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miles/kilometers or hours; doesn't matter. What gets measured gets done.

Greg Lemond used hours.

- L.

My Bikes
    serotta klein ironhorse kestrel softride
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hours vs miles

i also prefer hours, and use a pulse monitor to keep from slacking off too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    card, that seems good to me, you've lasted for years,I'd guess you've avoided injury.Speed's not bad either.To me that's a good average all around regime in a season.In my 30's I'd do over 10 a week,only 8 months out of the year at best.I have much ,much more time now,way out of shape,lucky to get 5 hrs.a week. As for miles, maybe a little over a thousand in a summer.My riding started slow and late,autumn too.No winter riding hardly.I moved down south,that will change.Some of you average 10mph..kinda fast.I always lived in mountains,it's flat here on the coast. I feel a different type of fatigue so far,it takes time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    82 hours and 968 miles so far in 07

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't pay huge attention to my time or distance,
    weather, road condition and motivation are a factor,
    half an hr or two hrs, not sure it matters-
    the satisfaction of riding is my goal.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, I wish I had the time to get in hours like that. If I can get 4 hours a week I am lucky. Not enough but better than nothing. Work sucks!
    I think hours is a good way to go though, you are riding and regardless of the miles you are still getting the exersise.

T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order of importance (to me): Hours...Cadence...Heart beats...Miles...Elevation.

Getting used to >90RPM makes for a great aerobic workout. Monitoring your HR allows for short (10min) Zone 4 workouts with zone 2 recovery. I find that to be a great endurance builder. Pedaling at >90RPM in Zone 3 for an hour makes you feel like Lance.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't track any of it. I'll notice my time, distance and speed for an individual ride while I'm doing it, but I don't keep a record of it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hours are less flexible than I would like. Hence, my riding times tend to be scheduled along with all of the other demands in my life. Hence, I know how many hours I'll ride this week, and how many next week. Mileage, however, will vary a fair amount from week to week, depending on the kind of shape I'm in, my training goals for the week, the weather, and other variables. I keep track of miles, but wish I had a need to keep track of hours!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiles per mile!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the Garmin 305 generated data, the one that seems to correlate most closely to how shot I feel at the end is the elevation. If I climb 1000-2000 ft. on the road I consider that a pretty good workout.

But I'm with DnvrFox on this one: an even better measure of the quality of a ride is the amount of endorphins generated. After my road ride yesterday evening I was actually in a good mood, not a small accomplishment given the times we live in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last year, I rode about 2,500 miles. Two five mile trips, five days a week. My door to door average is about 10 mph, so 250 hours. As has been suggested, the best parameter is "smiles per mile."

Paul

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin so it records everything. I report miles to the cycling club and hours to the park program. I think Denver's "smiles per miles" is probably the best way to measure our biking
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Pilot 5.2 and Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not record my mph. I try and average 13 to 16 mph, but on some days like yesterday I am lucky to average 9 mph. Rode on a very wet limestone trail. I wear a heart monitor and try and get in between 30 to 60 minute a day where my heart rate is in the zone.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I rode 5,334 miles and averaged 18.47mph = 288.8 hours. This year I have 1,332 miles at 18.39mph avg = 72.3 hours. My usual week is 20.5mi Tues-Fri at about 1.1 hours a day and then a 61mi ride on Sundays which takes around 3.5hrs for a total of about 8hrs/wk. I try to shoot for 100mi/wk minimum but there are plenty of times when I only get 50-80mi
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wont have a full year in until July, but so far I have 2528 miles in with 82 hours of riding. The only reason I keep track of it is for maintenance as well as the work out. Like you said, with the wind and all the other factors mean a lot more than just speed.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my figures are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by George
    I wont have a full year in until July, but so far I have 2528 miles in with 82 hours of riding. The only reason I keep track of it is for maintenance as well as the work out. Like you said, with the wind and all the other factors mean a lot more than just speed.

I copied the miles from the computer and the average, but the average doesn't look right. How do you figure it?
    George

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really only think in terms of days on bike. Since it is my vehicle for commuting, I get the kilometers in and since I can tend to be impatient at times, the speed uphill is there too.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I copied the miles from the computer and the average, but the average doesn't look right. How do you figure it?
    I changed bikes and computers so I'm averageing 10, WOW.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj
    In order of importance (to me): Hours...Cadence...Heart beats...Miles...Elevation.

Getting used to >90RPM makes for a great aerobic workout. Monitoring your HR allows for short (10min) Zone 4 workouts with zone 2 recovery. I find that to be a great endurance builder. Pedaling at >90RPM in Zone 3 for an hour makes you feel like Lance.
    Hi Rodrigaj,

Just got a Garmin 305 and am looking at cadence. For your 90 RPM, what is your course - mostly flat? I started observing cadence and I find if I'm not paying attention, I like to ride between 70 & 80. If I pay attention, I can get it up, but not on hills. Did you find it difficult to make a jump (assuming you started lower)?

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast