Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A year later, it's 20 years ago (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/289232-year-later-its-20-years-ago.html)

SaiKaiTai 04-18-07 12:13 PM

A year later, it's 20 years ago

Memory's a funny thing and maybe I don't really remember things as they were. I thought, at my peak, I was doing 25 miles a day, 3-4 days a week. I'm not so sure anymore that that was true but I DO know that I had reached a point where I went looking for climbs. Don't remember how long they were -not very, I'd guess- or how steep -quite so, in many cases- but I went after them. That was 20 year and 30-40 fewer pounds ago.

Fast forward to now: 54 years old, struggling to keep it under 200lbs, a year back in the saddle and it hit me that I'm doing 10-15 (20 max. Once) miles a day, 3-4 days a week and I'm looking for the climbs. Oh gawd, they're hard -harder, I'm sure- but there I am, climbing on my hybrid (can't wait to try a roadie on our hills). If they're anything over a mile and 6 or 7%, I have to stop to catch my breath but I'm not backing down either. I also try to make at least half my ride some kind of climb. I take the hard way home. I try to make it harder. I'm picking climbs and taking them on the pedals all the way up; then I go back around and do it again. Why? Because I can! Life is grand. The only bad thing is that it takes time away from my playing. But I don't mind a bit 'cause I'm out riding. What could be better?

Meanwhile, I've dropped 20 of those 30-40 lbs and gone from a 40" waist to a 38 (almost 36)" waist.
Long live the bicycle.

bobby c 04-18-07 12:15 PM

Great post! BTW - did you decide on your road bike? I remember you were looking at a few - wondering what you decided on.

stapfam 04-18-07 12:19 PM

I am 17 years into my resurgence on cycling- But in my teens- I never thought of cycling as a sport or thing to do- It was my mode of transport.
I live 30 miles from work and on the occasional Saturday I commute but It is a bit too far. Can't wait till the mode of transport becomes the bike again but that is just at weekends at present- Or holidays. Roll on 2012.

SaiKaiTai 04-18-07 12:59 PM

Oh yeah, as a kid, it was either the bike or the skates - those were my wheels. It all came so easily then.

No decisions on the roadie yet.
The LBS where I bought my Kaitai is having its annual SALE but they're having it durring the worst possible week for me to try and schedule some test rides. I don't really want to buy blind (duh). They have a LeMond Reno in stock -which is looking better and better at $750- and a Specialized Allez Triple Elite, which is a bit beyond my price range. The Reno looks like a real value. The sale runs through Saturday and there's supposed to be rain tomorrow and Friday. I can't go tonight and I'd be VERY hard pressed to go on Saturday.

WalterMitty 04-18-07 03:20 PM

Where did the time go?

Nice post.

BluesDawg 04-18-07 07:13 PM

Way to go, Ken. You've come a long way in a short time.

Beverly 04-18-07 07:49 PM

This past year has been a good one for you....here's to many more just like it.
Congratulations! I love reading posts like this. It reminds me of why I love to ride.

Terrierman 04-19-07 08:52 AM

Ken, that is a way cool attitude you are sporting there.