Thread: Please help me

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help me

I've riden a mountain bike on the road for two years now, and I think I'm ready to buy a road bike. I'm looking for a compact geometry frame and of course a triple crank. I ride 20-40 miles at a pop but don't worry about speed unless I'm trying to keep up with some folk. I wnat to do 2 or three centuries a year. I have some joint issues but nothing severe at all.

I'm indecive, I think. I want to buy a new road bike but I don't know whether to go 'inexpensive', like a LeMond Reno or Pilot 1, or lots more expensive, like a Pilot 2.1, or even more expensive, like a Felt Z 85, or try an on-line bike like a Fezzari Catatonia (heh). Would someone make this decision for me? If it runs over $1000, would you help make up the difference (I have a Paypal account)? I'm sorry to burden you with my problems but everyone on this site just seems so dog-gone understanding.

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    I've riden a mountain bike on the road for two years now, and I think I'm ready to buy a road bike. I'm looking for a compact geometry frame and of course a triple crank. I ride 20-40 miles at a pop but don't worry about speed unless I'm trying to keep up with some folk. I wnat to do 2 or three centuries a year. I have some joint issues but nothing severe at all.

I'm indecive, I think. I want to buy a new road bike but I don't know whether to go 'inexpensive', like a LeMond Reno or Pilot 1, or lots more expensive, like a Pilot 2.1, or even more expensive, like a Felt Z 85, or try an on-line bike like a Fezzari Catatonia (heh). Would someone make this decision for me? If it runs over $1000, would you help make up the difference (I have a Paypal account)? I'm sorry to burden you with my problems but everyone on this site just seems so dog-gone understanding.
    We ARE very understanding here, but if I see you on the road, I will beat the crap out of you, and take your bike (unless you are still riding that mountain bike) just to amuse myself. I hope you understand!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please, please here in the 50+ forum we must try to be genteel and polite to others at all times. This is after all a bicycle forum first and formost.

Under no conditions can we approve of you taking his bicycle.

Thanks for your attention on this matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't mention it, but take a look at the Specialized Sequoia.......touted as one of the most comfortable road bikes available which IMHO would be an asset for "centuries".

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Please, please here in the 50+ forum we must try to be genteel and polite to others at all times. This is after all a bicycle forum first and formost.

Under no conditions can we approve of you taking his bicycle.

Thanks for your attention on this matter.
    Okay, okay, but the least he could have done was to offer to send us any surplus monies in case he chose a bike under $1000.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike fit is the most important thing, more so than the model or type of bike. The only way you can check the fit is to be on the bike, preferably riding it but stationary trainers work too. This means a lot of looking around for you (there has to be an upside to this ) and listening to a lot of bulldust from snotty young salestaff trying to sell you what they have on the floor rather than what you need.

Mate, go to as many bike shops as you can. Drool, yarn, test ride, test sit, annoy the bejesus out of all the salesmen. At first, you will be swamped with information, misinformation and outright lies. You'll feel hopelessly lost and confused and taking up naked cliff climbing will seem like a sensible alternative. HOWEVER, if you persevere, things will start to fall into place. Your bulldust detector will become fine tuned and you will start to recognise the nuggets of golden information amid all the tosh. You find yourself entering shops and going straight to a particular type of bike ... that's when you'll start to get a grip on what your heart wants (but watch your responses - I always go straight to the top line racers but would never own one, I just think they're lovely).

Don't buy any bike you haven't fallen in love with. Like any search for a lover, this can happen in the first shop or it can take months of patient searching. Eventually though, you'll KNOW that that bike is the one for you. If you're lucky, you'll also have found the bike shop that suits you, the one that listens to you and understands your unique needs.

So get out there and have fun with the hunt.

Richard
    yes, this advice did work for me - check out the story of my Trek520 on my website - www.richardspurling.com
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    We ARE very understanding here, but if I see you on the road, I will beat the crap out of you, and take your bike (unless you are still riding that mountain bike) just to amuse myself. I hope you understand!
    Promises, promises.

My Bikes
    Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand this understanding you speak of. Is your dog gone? Where did it go? Why do you pay your friends?

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more bikes I test drove, the more money I was wiliing to shell out. Just a warning.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, even though you beat me to the punch in posting a Burma Shave jingle on another post, I'll forgive you and offer up my ideas.

I was in the exact same situation with my mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock) serving as a roadie. I looked at a Specialized Sequoia, a Specialized Sirrus, a Giant OCR3, a Raleigh Cadent, and a Fuji Newest. I felt like I wanted drop bars, but I still wanted a more upright posture than I would get on an aggressive geometry road bike.

I got a brand new '06 Fuji Newest on closeout. Of all the bikes I tried, this one felt the best. It has a triple chain ring and adjustable stem. After I made a couple of adjustments on height of seatpost and position of saddle, it works well. No problem with stock saddle, and thus far the oft-maligned Sora drive train has performed admirably. 120 miles so far. All this talk about multiple hand positions relieving numbness of hands is true! It helps. For now I will stay with toe-clip pedals. My Hardrock has plain old pedals, so I'm learning to use toe clips to get a little more advantage from each revolution of the crank.

I looked for quite a while, read reviews, and test drove a few. The Fuji seems to fit me well. 6'2" 175 lbs.

That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck on the hunt. I think you will enjoy a roadie.

John

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the expert on this forum on which bike to buy. Ask anyone.

Just sayin'
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weak,

I ride a '69 Peugeot U08 reasonably fast and in tri's. My wife has a nice Sequoia and the 20 something daughter bought a Lemond Reno. The difference between the Reno and the Sequoia is night and day. For about the same price, the Reno had better components vs the Specialized and the Trek equivalent. Most importantly it is noticably faster than the Sequoia. I have never told my wife this, but her Sequoia is slow! Compared only to the Reno, it is surprising, because they both have the same wheels and 25mm tires.

Look closely at the Reno. It's fast and reasonably priced and I find the relaxed geometry to be very comfortable without the severely sloping top tube of other builders.

IMHO

Tyson

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this friend in Nigeria, who most certainly can free up some funds for this very worthy cause. But I think he'd need, say, $200 bucks to get the paperwork pushed through in proper fashion. Just PayPal me the dough and I'll have him wire you the funds, down the road...