Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why I ride a bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why I ride a bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 10:03 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why I ride a bike

I read this on another cycling forum. Thought it was appropriate to share here.

A Bicycle Zen Proverb

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle"
The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said,
"Ahh.... I am your student!"

Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-19-07, 12:26 AM
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like your thinking

A teacher asks her class, If there are 5 birds sitting on a fence and you shoot one of them, how many will be left? She calls on little Johnny.
None, they all fly away with the first gunshot.

The teacher replies, The correct answer is 4, but I like your thinking. Then Little Johnny says, I have a question for YOU. There are three women sitting on a bench having ice cream. One is delicately licking the sides of the triple scoop of ice cream. The second is gobbling down the top and sucking the cone. The third is biting off the top of the ice cream. Which one is married?

The teacher, blushing a great deal, replies, Well I suppose the one thats gobbled down the top and sucked the cone.

The correct answer is the one with the wedding ring on...but I like your thinking.
Old 04-19-07, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neat. Your little story fits well with the thread the other day about biking keeping us sane or something like that. It really is just about the biking for me.