Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

We made the evening news!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-18-07, 07:28 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And it was good news

Some of the local organizations held a press release today to kick off a "Drive Less, Live More" campaign in the area. The park district is one of the sponsors and asked the volunteer patrolmen to attend. You certainly couldn't miss us in the crowd. Our high-visability yellow jackets stood out amongst the business suits The local news covered the event and asked for pictures of us riding the nearby trails.

They've scheduled quite a few events and I'm looking forward to participating in a few of them.

https://www.drivelesslivemore.org/

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-18-07, 08:03 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done, Beverly. The world needs more people like you.
Old 04-18-07, 08:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Way to go, Beverly. Keep on putting positive images of bicycling out there in front of the public.
Old 04-18-07, 09:35 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great! I notice many more bikes now that I have my new bike. Now, it seems everywhere I look, there goes a cyclist. I can't believe it took me this long to catch on!
Old 04-18-07, 09:37 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
That's great! I notice many more bikes now that I have my new bike. Now, it seems everywhere I look, there goes a cyclist. I can't believe it took me this long to catch on!
And with your new helmet, they're noticing you, too!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-18-07, 09:38 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Well done and congratulations.
Old 04-18-07, 09:38 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
And it was good news

Some of the local organizations held a press release today to kick off a "Drive Less, Live More" campaign in the area. The park district is one of the sponsors and asked the volunteer patrolmen to attend. You certainly couldn't miss us in the crowd. Our high-visability yellow jackets stood out amongst the business suits The local news covered the event and asked for pictures of us riding the nearby trails.

They've scheduled quite a few events and I'm looking forward to participating in a few of them.

Too cool, Bev!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-18-07, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Excellent. We have some good trails up here near Akron, but I'm not aware of any kind of bike to work program. You guys are way ahead of us. Maybe the idea will spread.

I rode part of that trail from Dayton to Miamisburg on XOBA '05 when we camped at a school in Miamisburg on our way south. Very nice system, lots of rivers, bridges to go over and under etc. as I recall.
Old 04-19-07, 06:16 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Excellent. We need you over our way!!
Old 04-19-07, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go. Nice to see the positive pub. It seems like every year there are more and more people (and entire families) out enjoying their bikes. I know that's the case in my neck of the woods. People like you help make that happen. Nice job.
Old 04-19-07, 06:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
GOOD STUFF.

We have a newly organized "trail bicycle ranger" program on our local trail system. I considered going to the recent organizing meeting, but their recruiting emphasis seemed to be on the high school student.

The other thought that I had was that I already do everything that the rangers were supposed to do. I talk to folks, assist as necessary with tire repairs, give directions, etc. I just don't have a cool shirt to wear.

ANy thoughts?
Old 04-19-07, 06:31 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great group and a nice website. We could use that here in metro Detroit.

Got me thinking...I really should get a small pannier or basket for those milk runs to the local Rite-Aid...

Last edited by bcoppola; 04-19-07 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-19-07, 11:37 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
GOOD STUFF.

We have a newly organized "trail bicycle ranger" program on our local trail system. I considered going to the recent organizing meeting, but their recruiting emphasis seemed to be on the high school student.

The other thought that I had was that I already do everything that the rangers were supposed to do. I talk to folks, assist as necessary with tire repairs, give directions, etc. I just don't have a cool shirt to wear.

ANy thoughts?
Many of our volunteer patrol members are retired. We have very few people under the age of 40 in our group. In order to become a member we went through an interview process with the park director and some of the park rangers. We also need to be certified in CPR and first aid each year. We also attended biking skills and maintenance courses. We carry radios that keep us in contact with the rangers and other local law enforcement. The emphasis is on being the eyes and ears for the rangers and "park ambassadors". We have no authority to enforce parks rules - we simply remind people what they are when we see dogs off leashes, kids skate boarding in off-limit areas, etc. Even those park perverts drive off when they see the yellow jerseys with radios

In addition to the patrol rides we head-up a weekly biking program, assist rangers with crowd control and parking at special events, hold bike rodeos and training rides for kids and participate in many different programs to promote biking in our area. We've also worked with neighboring counties to setup trail patrol groups in their counties. We've traveled to other cities in Ohio to observe their programs and exchange ideas. I may be a little biased but I think we have one fantastic bike program in our area We have a few honorary members such as a local weatherman who is an avid cyclist and a local newspaper reporter who's mother donated money to build a rest area along the local trails for cyclist.

I'm not sure how cool are shirts are - they're just bright yellow but those high-visibility jackets they provide are really cool

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-19-07, 11:48 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Excellent. We have some good trails up here near Akron, but I'm not aware of any kind of bike to work program. You guys are way ahead of us. Maybe the idea will spread.

I rode part of that trail from Dayton to Miamisburg on XOBA '05 when we camped at a school in Miamisburg on our way south. Very nice system, lots of rivers, bridges to go over and under etc. as I recall.
They did a great job when they built the trail through the city of Dayton back in the 70's. It only requires a couple side street crossing as most go under bridges along the river. One of the original people involved in building this trail was Horace M. Huffman, Jr - think Huffy bicycles This article is a little outdated as it states the trail ends in Dayton but it now continues into West Carollton, Miamisburg and into another county. https://www.miamivalleytrails.org/gmiami.htm#History:

-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-19-07, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice, gives much food for thought, for each of us in our own area. Thanks.
Old 04-19-07, 12:47 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
And it was good news

Some of the local organizations held a press release today to kick off a "Drive Less, Live More" campaign in the area. https://www.drivelesslivemore.org/
Cool. Drive Less, Live More is a great slogan.
Old 04-19-07, 04:17 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
And it was good news

Well done! Enjoy those events and thanks for sharing your good news!
Old 04-19-07, 06:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Many of our volunteer patrol members are retired. We have very few people under the age of 40 in our group. In order to become a member we went through an interview process with the park director and some of the park rangers. We also need to be certified in CPR and first aid each year. We also attended biking skills and maintenance courses. We carry radios that keep us in contact with the rangers and other local law enforcement. <snip>
Thanks for all the info!
Old 04-19-07, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is one fine web site! Almost makes me wish I lived in Florida!
Good work. You should be very proud of what you're doing
Old 04-19-07, 08:35 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTG, Bev!