Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back from my big roadie adventure

Yep, just got from from test-riding a LeMond Reno Triple and a Cannondale Synapse Sport 4 (hmm, except it was supposed to be a Synapse Alloy 4). First impression? Wow. There really IS a difference between a hybrid and a road bike. Quick, reponsive... almost twitchy in comparison. You step on the pedal and these babies MOVE. Found a couple of small but sort of longish climbs and, ya know?, they weren't that bad. I'll never be a climber, really, but either of these guys'll get me closer to that. I don't really know how different a Sport 4 is from an Alloy 4 (both have the same frame but the Alloy has better components?) but I imagine -in terms of comfort- thet're the same. I found the Reno to be more comfortable and pretty responsive, too. I rode the Reno first so I'm not sure how that colors my perception but, to me, the Reno for $750 is a deal and a half. The Alloy 4 they list is an '06 for $799 which might be a better deal but -I don't know- I think I liked the LeMond more. So what if the Cannondale frame is US made?. And the Reno is the nicest shade of blue
    What fun that was! I just didn't want to stop riding but I had to bring the bikes back to the shop
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former hybrid rider I know exactly what you were feeling with the first road bike ride Great feeling isn't it?

When will you make your final decision?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful. Whatever you buy, I'm going to buy one too (hearing all sorts of good stuff about the Reno).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    As a former hybrid rider I know exactly what you were feeling with the first road bike ride Great feeling isn't it?

When will you make your final decision?
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the other thing: I got to find out -literally first-hand- what the whole Sora/Tiagra thing was all about. The LeMond had a Tiagra FD and shifters with a 105 RD; the Synapse had a Sora FD and shifters with a Tiagra RD. Both felt pretty weird to me. The last road bike I owned had stem mounted shifters so this whole thing with twisting the brake handle to shift was odd. Almost killed myself once when I went to shift the LeMond and grabbed the brake handle a little too vigorously

So, what it comes down to is this.
    The LeMond has better componentry and price, the Cannondale has a better frame and costs more.
    I found the Reno to be more comfortable overall.
    I like the Reno's color
    The LBS thinks for the riding I'll do with it (Saturday rides on 20-50 miles); either bike'll be more than fine.
    Every LeMond owner they've sold a bike to has been wildly happy with their bikes.

I think I'm going with the LeMond.

Funny, isn't it? Before I rode them that was the one I thought had the least chance of me owning it.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're making a good choice--especially since the LeMond fits you well. I also think you won't find it "almost twitchy" once you've been riding it a few weeks. I reckon it will feel stable but responsive.

PS--ya gotta like a bike's color.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful bike, the LeMond. Buy it, and enjoy the hell out of it!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Lemond. I think you will enjoy the Tiagra shifters more and if you ever go to higher grad component you will already be familiar with the mechanism.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty bike, my LBS had a teal colored Lemond in their window last time I was in. All I'm saying is Lemond has more than 1 nice color! May you ride like the wind!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Le Monde is sold to me. Couple of points from a mountain biker that changed to road. Make certain that the bars are high enough- Level with the saddle seems to be about right for a lot of us here. It will only be a change of stem-but the shop will probably change it FOC- or nominal charge if it is going to be an upgrade.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnH
    That's a pretty bike, my LBS had a teal colored Lemond in their window last time I was in. All I'm saying is Lemond has more than 1 nice color! May you ride like the wind!!
    Sure, I'll buy that... figuratively and literally!
    I think LeMonds in general are just beautiful bikes...I find so many modern liveries to be bit "over the top". Not so, LeMonds; they are elegant and understated. Just so nice to look at. I've always been a blue freak (except my guitars. My guitars have always been black. At least until I went acoustic) and the Reno -for me- is just "it". I'm calling the LBS today to tell them to ring it up. I might get to pick it up this weekend, I don't know.

Being able to "carry forward" the Tiagra shifters if I upgrade is a nice thing. I just wonder how long it'll take me to adjust to them? They feel pretty awkward. I more or less had them figured out (The big lever works the bigger gears; the little lever works the little gears) but the mechanics themselves just feel weird. Twisting a brake handle to shift is an odd concept for me. Still, I'm prety stoked to take my first Saturday ride with this baby next week!

Stepfam - I'm with you! I'm going to ask the LBS to flip the stem before I pick it up which reminds me, I need to have them order a new stem for my Kaitai). I'm also having them throw on a pair of SPDs and some Armadillo Elites.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't take long to sort the gear levers. I just took a gentle ride up a hilly area so I had to keep using the gears or struggle and I soon had them sorted. One thing you will find on a road bike is that it is so easy. I know you had a hybrid but for distance road work- then Full road bike works. Don't forget the pedals by the way. I am right in thinking you went clipless and An extra pair of pedals might swing the sale for your shop. Worth a try at least.

Just noted you have ordered the pedals but I would forget the armadillos. They are a heavy tyre and unless you have bad thorns or are always getting punctures- I think they will detract from the ride. I just put Michelin 23's on mine and I am not on good roads. No problems at all and the ride is not harsh.
    Last edited by stapfam; 04-20-07 at 10:30 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be so hasty in picking out your bike yet. You really haven't considered the most important implication - how is it going to effect you screen name? SaiKaiTai just won't cut it any more.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point on the tires, stepfam... I wondered how much they would degrade the ride. My old Gitane just had plain ol' tires on it. I had a couple of flats along the way but nothing too serious. I guess that's what patches are for. Gee, I haven't patched a tire in over 20 years. I wonder if I still know how?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    I wouldn't be so hasty in picking out your bike yet. You really haven't considered the most important implication - how is it going to effect you screen name? SaiKaiTai just won't cut it any more.....
    Hahahahahahaaaaa... No, I'm keeping the Fisher, for sure. That'll be my weekday ride. The LeMond'll be my weekEND ride.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bike, enjoy it and keep it on 2 wheels !!!!!!!!! I ride a Hybrid too. I am getting mine new roadie next weekend, can't wait..

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, then... it's mine now. I just dropped the dime. I can pick it up anytime after Monday.
    Realistically, it might -probably will- be next Saturday (if the wait doesn't kill me before then)... the LBS closes at 7PM and it's a pretty long haul from where I work. I *can* make it in time but I might just go down next Saturday, park the car, pick up the bike and go for a ride... there are a million paces to ride in Palo Alto. There will be pictures, of course.

Let the next chapter begin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well having extra time would be good, they may need to do some last minute adjustments so showing up right before they close isn't a good idea. Like you may want to change the pink streamers coming out of the handlebars to green or something.

Congrats!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well crap, that does it. I'm going out this next week and get me a Reno. I talked to someone who was a Trek 1000 devotee and he said "Why would anyone spend so much money on a bike?"

I suppose I could buy a Pilot 5 instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that Weak Link... I know you warned me and all but I just ahd to do it. I'm pretty excited.
    And tell you Trek friend that the Reno just ain't all that expensive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    Hahahahahahaaaaa... No, I'm keeping the Fisher, for sure. That'll be my weekday ride. The LeMond'll be my weekEND ride.
    We'll see how true that one is in due time my friend, in due time.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am envious!

You could always change your name to SaiKaiTai-Blue! Blue for the color of the Reno.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your last thread on this topic, I stated that I thought the Reno was a very good bike for $750. As long as the LeMond long top tube geometry fit your upper torso. And if it was too long, then go with a Trek Pilot - you can get the same components from the same company on a very similar bike except it isn't quite as long. Both are very nice.

I say go for it!

I also like the blue. Blue is my favorite bike color, but since I keep buying used bikes, I've been getting red and silver bikes. Which are okay. I keep expecting to find a great deal on a black bike, which would leave me in a quandry. I hate black (although I know many people like it best).
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    We'll see how true that one is in due time my friend, in due time.
    Well, sure things change and all -I get that- but I do take the Kaitai places where I won't take the Reno
    And, really, I enjoy the bejeebers out of that bike. That, plus it was a birthday present -and a DAMN thoughtful one, at that- from the Mrs. Were it not for her and that bike, there'd BE no Reno (ha! "be no Reno", I like the sound of that). I will not disrepect her or the intent behind that gift by letting it lay fallow. Now, I do see where it could be more 50/50 rather than 75/25 but we'll see.

Of course, right now, I only see half the equation, so I'm arguing a little bit blind.

I might mention, though, that she my first Martin for me 14 years ago. I have bought many guitars since then -guitars I would not have bought had there not been that first Martin- and many of them are "better guitars" but I still play that D-18 and love it. In fact, were I to have to pare down to one guitar, that one would be the one. Bikes. Guitars. What's the difference?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the Armadillos -

The newer ones are a heck of a lot better than the older models of ARmadillo. They will be just fine.

We grow goatheads (puncture vine) as a crop around here, or so it seems. I wouldn't be without my armadillos AND goop in the tires.

And, I love my Lemond - had it since 1999. I still get comments from bike shop employees about how much they wish they had my bike.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast