Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fixin' to sell a bike -- why is it so hard?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 03:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking of putting my first bike, the Trek 3900 mtb, up for sale. I rarely use it. I could use the physical space, because if it's gone, then the Cypress and The Diego would fit on the rack.

Then, I'd probably sell The Diego in a while, and put the $$ from both of these bikes into a properly fitting road bike, keeping the Cypress as my backup, bad weather, not-quite-a-beater machine.

This is so logical that I can't understand why I hesitate to launch my plan. I took the 3900 in today and got the cables lubed and tightened, so it's really in perfect running condition. I like to sell things in as good a condition as I can, rather than try to hide defects from buyers.

But anyway...

Why am I hesitating? I can't seem to get the Craigslist ad written, or the pictures taken. What gives?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-21-07, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's because you've got BAD (Bike Accumulation Disorder). There is no cure but you can manage BAD by moving into a larger apartment.
Old 04-21-07, 04:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's because you've got BAD (Bike Accumulation Disorder). There is no cure but you can manage BAD by moving into a larger apartment.
Good suggestion Retro- But even Big bike sheds get full eventually. My two daughters are moving shortly so I have an extra 3 bikes in the shed- Along with the 5 that are already there.

Only one thing for it and when you Manage to place the ad- DG, can you put in an extra 3 bikes as these extras I have been lumbered with- look as though they haven't been used since I last serviced them a year ago. Might as well sell them for them as they won't have space to store them at their new houses, and the shed is now busting at the seams.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-21-07, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We guitar players call it GAS: Guitar or Gear Acquisition Syndrome, take your pick.
You get attached is all. I've had soft spots in my heart for every guitar I've sold but when they're gone, they're gone. The next one is always better. The word for it is "****" You just have to deal with it.
Old 04-21-07, 06:26 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Retro's got it right. I have given bikes away. I have loaned bikes for years at a time. But, for some reason, I can't sell a bike. They become like friends.

Now I have two bikes living in my home office, along with a bunch assorted herbs and vegetables that I'm starting under grow lights. I keep a bike on campus for short jaunts around town. There are three bikes in the shed out back, and there's a folding bike in a suitcase ready to fly to whatever far-flung destination at the drop of a hat. Yeah, I've got it BAD.
Old 04-21-07, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Good suggestion Retro- But even Big bike sheds get full eventually. My two daughters are moving shortly so I have an extra 3 bikes in the shed- Along with the 5 that are already there.
But won't that open up some additional bedroom space for bike storage? As a bonus, once you fill those rooms with storage, there won't be space for the girls to move back.
Old 04-21-07, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could donate it to a Boy's Club or equivalent and take it off your taxes.
Old 04-21-07, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
If you don't sell it you will become trapped in an earlier configuration of your life. In order to reach the next page, you MUST sell it. It's called moving on to bigger and better things. Pull the trigger, Gary. Just pull the damn trigger. bk
Old 04-22-07, 12:50 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
But won't that open up some additional bedroom space for bike storage? As a bonus, once you fill those rooms with storage, there won't be space for the girls to move back.
They moved out with their Boyfriends a few years ago and their bedrooms are still full up with the rubbish they left when they moved out. Problem is that as they are both packing like mad- They are using the rooms to store the stuff they don't need right now so lets store it at Dads.

Don't worry- I will get my own back as the first one to give me a grandchild is going to get the attic dumped on them. We still have all their old toys and clothes stored there so I will be able to clear it when I have a legitimate reason.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-22-07, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't worry- I will get my own back as the first one to give me a grandchild is going to get the attic dumped on them. We still have all their old toys and clothes stored there so I will be able to clear it when I have a legitimate reason.
Good plan, but not quite good enough. You need to buy different toys for grandchildren than you did for your own kids. When I had my bike shop, the parents would buy classy little bike bells for their children that went "ting, ting, ting". The grandparents would buy the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious sounding horns that they could find. Grandchildren are fun!

Uh - I'm in the market for a suitable car to park in my son's driveway but the sellers all swear that none of the ones I've looked at leak oil.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 04-22-07 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the last guy in the world to tell you how to part with your bike. I still have my campy, sew-ups, etc. Raleigh International from the 60's althought it so stiff to ride and 10 other bikes I've accumualted over the years. Our kids have left cars and belongings here but I miss them so much I cannot bring myself to hassle them about it. The real problem starts when they leave their boyfrinds here and take off for Arizona. Now I get to ride with the grandkids. What a joy! Any advice in finding a decent road bike for 26" inseam? Robert
Old 04-22-07, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Mayber it's hard to part with because it was the FIRST? I have considered, off and on, about selling my mtn.bike. Can't find it in me to do it. It also is the first (kind of)-it was a replacement frame for one which had a faulty weld. About the only thing left of the original bike is the replacement frame (so I guess there's really nothing left of the orig.bike). But even though the frame is a heavy GT Chromoly hardtail mtb frame, I just cant part with it. I haven't ridden much lately, trails are much futher to travel to than my home state, and the bike does OK for what riding I do, so can't justify another (still wouldn't get rid of it). Just couldn't stand to part with the original (it still is to me), maybe it's the same with you.
Old 04-22-07, 04:06 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Enough bikes and your daughter will HAVE to move out on her own because there is no room. It's natures way.