Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay wheel problem, advice requested..

I hope to get a more measured response on this board than the road bike fourm where many seem to think the sellers are Gods and can do no wrong. Anyway here is the deal.

Before I bid on a set of wheels I messaged the seller and asked if the wheel was Shimano 9 speed compatible. He responed that it was. Fulcrum 3 wheel had the old style hub in 2005/6 and went to the new 10 speed only hub in2007. I run all 9 speed.

Wheels show up and after getting the cassette off the stinking hub is 10 speed only. Have exchanged a set of messages to the guy and he is claiming he bought the wheels off ebay as 9/10 and his LBS says they will work with 9 but a 9 speed cassette will not go on the hub. His solution for me is to resell them on scambay. I messaged back that since his solution is unaccepable I would open a dispute with scambay.

I have used the dispute resolution several times and not lost a case yet. However it is a pain in the arse and takes a lot of time.

Any good ideas on how to resolve this? I tried to find some kind of conversion cassette and they don't seem to be making such an animal. I would keep the wheels if I can find a cost effective way to use them. Thanks in advance.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the threads I usually scan in any forum, the response in a case like this is always to do something severe like to hang the seller by his thumbs and have a large cannibal choose his favorite cuts... Where have you read a thread proclaiming the seller is always right?

Admittedly, almost any debates about feedback gets swamped with messages from the poor sellers that need to reserve their feedback for retaliation against unsatisfied customers, but other than that, I have not seen a leaning toward supporting the seller.

At any rate, you did not get what you wanted, after asking the proper clarifying question, and the seller is not willing to make it right. You are obviously not responsible for his misinformation. He could have answered "I don't know" very easily.

I know the conversion to 10 speed can get expensive, so changing your whole group isn't an option... but I wonder if someone makes wider spacers to use 9 of the 10 cogs in a 10 speed cassette... This seems like a potentially inexpensive approach.

If I recall correctly the ridges on the freehub are higher on a 10 speed requiring deeper notches in the cogs and spacers, and since all spacers do is hold the cogs apart, I would consider using the spacers from a 9 speed cassette and filing them to fit onto a 10 speed freehub (if this would indeed give the proper spacing.

Good luck however you choose to approach this.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a solution to the negative issues that came up with maybe 25% of my ebay purchases....

...I cancelled my account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    In the threads I usually scan in any forum, the response in a case like this is always to do something severe like to hang the seller by his thumbs and have a large cannibal choose his favorite cuts... Where have you read a thread proclaiming the seller is always right?

Admittedly, almost any debates about feedback gets swamped with messages from the poor sellers that need to reserve their feedback for retaliation against unsatisfied customers, but other than that, I have not seen a leaning toward supporting the seller.

At any rate, you did not get what you wanted, after asking the proper clarifying question, and the seller is not willing to make it right. You are obviously not responsible for his misinformation. He could have answered "I don't know" very easily.

I know the conversion to 10 speed can get expensive, so changing your whole group isn't an option... but I wonder if someone makes wider spacers to use 9 of the 10 cogs in a 10 speed cassette... This seems like a potentially inexpensive approach.

If I recall correctly the ridges on the freehub are higher on a 10 speed requiring deeper notches in the cogs and spacers, and since all spacers do is hold the cogs apart, I would consider using the spacers from a 9 speed cassette and filing them to fit onto a 10 speed freehub (if this would indeed give the proper spacing.

Good luck however you choose to approach this.

Looking into Jatek Shiftmate as a solution. Anyone using this device. You are correct, I am not investing in 10 speed group just to use the wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also when a problem like this is posted on the road section, the responses are always "you failed to ask, your problem" which I take to defend the seller. Well I asked and still got hozed.

Too Many...Not Enough LaManchaDQ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no bike mechanic so I can't give you any work arounds. As for ebay, you ran into one of the natures of that beast, I'm afraid. You bought from someone that probably thought the word cassette only applied to music tapes and their players.

Unless you get some knowledgeable person here to recommend a work around my advice is to never buy anything on ebay on which you don't know everything about. Sad truth is you should know more than the seller before you buy.

Good luck to you on your dispute resolution. I'd start that if only to get ebay officials looking at the seller and possibly getting his ranking lowered or rights limited or pulled, if offense was serious enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaManchaDQ
    I'm no bike mechanic so I can't give you any work arounds. As for ebay, you ran into one of the natures of that beast, I'm afraid. You bought from someone that probably thought the word cassette only applied to music tapes and their players.

Unless you get some knowledgeable person here to recommend a work around my advice is to never buy anything on ebay on which you don't know everything about. Sad truth is you should know more than the seller before you buy.

Good luck to you on your dispute resolution. I'd start that if only to get ebay officials looking at the seller and possibly getting his ranking lowered or rights limited or pulled, if offense was serious enough.
    Good greif Charlie Brown. The guy is selling a $700 set of wheels and does not know what kind of cassette can be used with them. Big mistake to assume that with this level of equipment the owner is knowledgable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your going to love this: After a series of email excahnges, the seller of the wheels says he is going to Italy until September and I would have to wait to try to resolve the matter. Spoiled rich brat is my take.

What he does not know is that I already have the info. and I am going to stick it to his credit report. Every dog has his day. Wait until he tries to buy a car or house.