User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a steel at a yard sale

My wife found a performance indoor trainer at a yard sale and asked me if I was interested in looking at it. I told her not really, since we live in Florida, if I want to ride I usually just go. She said she might use it and the guy also had a bike and some biking shoes. I went to look for her and ended up buying the whole works from the guy. The bike looked like it hadn't been used much at all. It is an older Specialized Sirrus with a chromoly lugged steel frame. It has all 105 components including the crank, and a nice set of 700 x 23 continental tires. It has the shifters on the down tubes and a 7 speed cassette. I have read about steel supposedly having a smoother ride than aluminum. When I took it for a test ride it did seem smoother than my aluminum Tourmalet. Well, this morning I put 120 psi of air in the tires and rode it 13 miles and I was impressed with the ride. This afternoon I rode it 27 more miles on the same roads I normally ride on and it definitely rides better than my aluminum bike. Using the shifters on the down tubes is a little different, but it is indexed and shifts very smoothly. My wife has already asked me which one I am going to keep. I think a lot more riding and comparing is in order first. I am not sure I will be able to keep up with her on the Sirrus, but will find out tomorrow. After much testing, studying and comparing I may decide that I need a titanium bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one to keep?
    I hope you don't miss your wife too much.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H'mmmm, now you have really got me thinking....................................... .........................................................not really, she's put up with me for 29 years, I better keep her

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you've ridden carbon fiber, you won't look back (except to see who you've dropped).
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Once you've ridden carbon fiber, you won't look back (except to see who you've dropped).
    Until you've dropped your carbon fiber bike

Gimme steel! (or Ti)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel is real is no joke. Just explain to you wife the N+1 bike ownership theory. With N being the number of bikes you presently own and +1 being the number you need to own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still riding my '87 Specialized Sirrus (my first serious bike). I've acquired other bikes, but could never sell my baby. Can't begin to figure out how many total miles on it. Expect to be buried with it. (Riding in the afterlife!)

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mid 80's steel road bike that had down tube shifters. The conversion to brifters didn't cost much. It isn't as nice a ride as my carbon Trek but I still enjoy it a lot. Congrats on the find.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhhhhh, the sweet single life. 2 steel bikes, one aluminum and one ti------------and I have heard not one word of dissent.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might like switching to bar end shifters, as I did. Everything is easily reached without further bending.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Wheres the pics and how much???

Some of these old bikes were good. I still have a 12 year old Kona Explosif that rides a dream so why I do not use it more often, I cannot understand.

Pity about the wife going though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when is a 12 y/o bike old? This 15 y/o is just getting broken in good.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    My wife has already asked me which one I am going to keep.
    Why that's easy. You are going to keep both of them because you've caught BAD. Check digital's thread on selling a bike. It's all your wife's fault for telling you about the yard sale so don't let her emasculate you over this. Be the man!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Why that's easy. You are going to keep both of them because you've caught BAD. Check digital's thread on selling a bike. It's all your wife's fault for telling you about the yard sale so don't let her emasculate you over this. Be the man!
    Exactly - think of what else you have two of - and use them to preserve your stable.

p.s. - you have a great find & I'm not talking about steel bikes
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an 86 Sirrus I keep on the trainer, and I just recently rebuilt a 90's Sirrus frame I got off of e-bay. I also have an S-Works Roubaix that is full carbon. I rode both for a total of 68 miles yesterday and today. I really like both rides. They are different, but both are high quality rides. No way I'd get rid of either bike.... at least not for now. Enjoy your find, and let me know how the "ti" bike rides when you get one.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of the sirrus and other stuff from the yard sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under no circumstances should you part with that cool RED bike. It's RED for crying out loud!! I finished putting together an early '80's Trek 400 for my wife recently--105 shifters, deraileurs, and new wheels so's I could put a 9sp cassette on it. Didn't cost too much and it rides DEVINELY!! Steel is pretty darn cool.

Besides, don't you need a backup bike for accidental cataclysmic upheavals and other unforseen circumstances?????

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RoMad: Does that frame have a single set of eyelets on the rear seat stays and is it the "Direct Dirve" Tubing? If so, this is the same frame I just built up with Ultegra nine speed brifters. Works like a charm.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it has the eyelets and on each chain stay near the rear it says "Direct Drive CR-MO". Do you know what those eyelets are for? Maybe a rear rack?

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind seven speed, pick up some Sora seven speed brifters. They are cheap! But very reliable. I replaced my bar-ends on my eight speed commuter with Soras and love them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    Yes it has the eyelets and on each chain stay near the rear it says "Direct Drive CR-MO". Do you know what those eyelets are for? Maybe a rear rack?

Yeah, they put them there for the installation of a rear rack. I don't believe there is enough clearance for a mud guard. This frame, IMHO, is much better than the same model from the early 80s. In comparing my two versions of the bike, I note that the chain stays are a little larger. Additionally, the seat stays are attached to the downtube in a stronger way. You've got yourself a very sweet steel ride!

If you follow Sheldon Brown's instructions found here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html you should be able to put in a 9 or 10 speed. I used a nine speed that I had laying around and it works perfectly.