Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-07, 08:04 AM   #1
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fantastic weather---And Ride.

Time to get out and ride offroad today. Only me and Martin, one of my normal co-riders, and he only has a mountain bike. So off to the hills. Within 2 miles we are offroad so up on our normal route taking in the easy climb to the top of 1 mile at 12%- Honest this is the easy way to the top. Across the top and we decided that for some reason- the ride was easier. Course it was as this is the first ride this year without the 3 layers under the goretex and leggings. We were so light, we were flying. Into the forest and we actually saw other mountain bikers. I took a picture of one of the groups, just to prove it. Into the forest and a bit of wide track to travel. It was rock hard so not the most comfortable but as most of it seemed to be uphill- The saddle did not cause a problem. Time for a few more photos and I am the one in the blue top. All of the pics were taken on hills but the steepness does not come out very well. Plenty more bikes in the forest but not many walkers- Until you get to the remote spots and there they are. You come round a corner to find 6 or so blocking the tracks. Funny how quick they move when they realise the speed you are going at downhill.

Down for breakfast and Summer has commenced. We got there just before the rest and got our order in. I was going to have a Sussex Cream Tea- scones with clotted cream and jam- but the smell of breakfast was too alluring- Two breakfasts later and we were on our way. Took a pic of a cottage on the way back- Real old building with a typical cottage garden in front of it. The tarmac only lasts for about 500yards up to the church, but the cost of this cottage-if you want to buy it- is offers in the region of 600,000. ($1.2 million). The view of the country side shows the type of hill we cover, and that track running across the middle to the right is hard. We did not do that one today.

So time to go home- take in a few more hills and the scenery. Total milage was 47 miles and only 5 of that is the smooth black stuff. Fantastic ride and Time to get in the garden and rest my eyes as the hammock is up. Did that yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Friston1.jpg (53.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg friston2.jpg (49.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg friston3.jpg (30.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg friston4.jpg (28.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg friston5.jpg (27.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg friston6.jpg (48.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg friston7.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg friston8.jpg (49.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg friston9.jpg (44.4 KB, 8 views)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 08:15 AM   #2
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
Stapfam-
Great commentary & pics on the ride. Makes me homesick for Illinois Prairie Path rides I did while living in W suburban Chicago. Nothing like that here in NC. I really miss that.
PAlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 10:29 AM   #3
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Are those blue gloves with a blue jersey on a blue bike?

Ok your faster that the others, you can get away with it. Nice pics and it looks like a nice ride.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 10:45 AM   #4
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx

Ok your faster that the others, you can get away with it. Nice pics and it looks like a nice ride.
How do you figure he's faster? The photographer was always ahead of him!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 11:56 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx

Blue gloves on a white jersey and as its a Bianchi- its a Celeste bike. Don't know where the yellow hubs came in but that was the only colour for Crossride wheels at the time I bought them. Just happens that most of my gloves are Blue- Most of my jerseys are white But the Tandem is blue.

While we are on Blue- Had to photograph the bluebells while I was out. The red one is an Orchid but I haven't identified it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bianchi2.jpg (41.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bluebells.jpg (60.2 KB, 6 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 04-22-07 at 12:02 PM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 12:25 PM   #6
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Loved the report and pics!

For once we had great biking weather here this morning, too

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote