Thread: Panaracer tires

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panaracer tires

I'm probably to late to ask this question, but have any of you tried Panaracer TG,touring tires and if you have, how did you like them? What I'm looking for is a low preasure tire and more comfort over a longer distance. Thanks for any replys, George
    George

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No such a thing as too late

I put some 32c Pasela TG on Sis' bike last year. If you aren't a Clydesdale they
    are a great tire. They roll amazingly fast for their size, they are also quite light for the
    size and spin up faster than you'd think.

But the weight is also it's liability. If you are a Clyde, or want a high mileage tire,
    then look at the Pasela T-Serv. I am planning on trying the 32c T-Serv next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can only speak to the 26"(559bsd) size, but fwiw a strong rec. here. I've used both 1.5" and 1.75"; a pair has lasted me typically about 4000kms before any significant rear tire wear; one flat over about 9000kms so far, and that was a thumbtack sitting nicely upright - what can you do.
    I've found: in the TG folding version, what I use, that they are very fast-rolling, very comfortable, really quite light considering the protection offered. I would strongly rec. the folding version -- these are very easy on/off if you do run into a problem.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys, they sound just what I'm looking for. I have Conti 4 seasons on there now, but I wanted something a little smoother and softer, plus a little more flat protection, thanks again, George
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had two sets of Paselas TG's, 35 and 32, and loved them both. Few flats, good rolling resistance, and pretty light for their mass. I have the 32's now, but will go back to 35's when these wear out in 2016...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    No such a thing as too late

I put some 32c Pasela TG on Sis' bike last year. If you aren't a Clydesdale they
    are a great tire. They roll amazingly fast for their size, they are also quite light for the
    size and spin up faster than you'd think.

But the weight is also it's liability. If you are a Clyde, or want a high mileage tire,
    then look at the Pasela T-Serv. I am planning on trying the 32c T-Serv next year.
    Question for late or BP: Are your Paselas labeled as 32 or 35's? I understand that, in the past at least, their tires measured one size under what they were labeled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Thanks for the responses guys, they sound just what I'm looking for. I have Conti 4 seasons on there now, but I wanted something a little smoother and softer, plus a little more flat protection, thanks again, George
    George, I thought you'd be looking for studded tires after that crash a some weeks ago!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that the sizing was different as well, but I read yesterday that's not the case with the newer ones. I'll know in a few days and let you know, thanks George
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    George, I thought you'd be looking for studded tires after that crash a some weeks ago!

I tried them, but they were to rough. Oh, I went 40 miles yesterday and my ribs still hurt a bit, but that's what got me thinking about the tires and a smoother ride. I can say that the steel frame and the carbon fork make a very, very good pair. I'm trying to get all the comfort I can get, for longer distance.
    George

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for late or BP: Are your Paselas labeled as 32 or 35's? I understand that, in the past at least, their tires measured one size under what they were labeled.
    Yup,
    they are labeled 32 but look like a 30. I have heard they are closer to true now, but
    I haven't gotten any recently.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pasela TG Kevlar bead 26 is what I run on my road bike. Good Japanese tires, fairly light, fast rolling, no flats, cheap. I always find them for $16 to $20 at Nashbar. I run the 32 size on my tandem with good results also.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all I've used (except one set of Rivendell Roly Polys that came on my Rambouillet) for at least five years. I even have a 26-inch set on my ex-mountain bike, now commuter. They're pretty cheap, last a long time, roll well, and I can run the 35mm ones at 75psi even though I weigh 230.
    I normally buy the TGs, with the Kevlar bead, but occasionally you see the wire-bead ones on sale for $12.95 or so, and I snapped up a few of those last year. I can't feel a difference.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 27"x1.250" Pasela TG's on my World Sport. Good, strong and cheap. I get them from Nashbar.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered the 32s and the way it sounds, I'll be liking them a lot, thanks a lot guys.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question: comparing Paselas with & without the Kevlar belt....I wonder if those without the belt might be a little more supple and noticably lighter...and with the probable thickness of the tread...might they be puncture resistant enough to make lighter weight worthwhile? Anybody ridden both?

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced Pasela 700x35 with Pasela TG folding 700x32. The Pasela's were rated at 70psi, I think, and the Pasela TG's at 90psi. The TG's seem a little zippier. And a bit rougher. Not a problem. Just put a pair of Pasela 700x35 on my wife's bike and these are labeled 90psi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the old 35's and the new 32's, and although there's not much difference in the width, the old 35's were much "fatter" in terms of the side to side dimension. So they are very different. I want to try the new 35's next...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question: comparing Paselas with & without the Kevlar belt....I wonder if those without the belt might be a little more supple and noticably lighter...and with the probable thickness of the tread...might they be puncture resistant enough to make lighter weight worthwhile? Anybody ridden both?
    Havn't run both, only the folding, but I did look into this when switching to these; fwiw tread/compound/casing/tpi is, as I recall, identical, so puncture resistance and 'ride' should be the same. I think the real advantages to the folding are: distinctly lighter (I think around 40/50 grams each) and (so I was told) that for some reason they are really easy to off/on for repair, compared both to the non-folding and to other tires. I can confirm that: had to change out tube for my one flat, and it was a snap w/o tire levers - they came off/went back on really easily, AND were easy to seat accurately once back on.

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,
    I have a set of Panaracer TG folding tires. I put about 300 miles on them in two weeks and found them to be a good tire: easy to mount, lightweight, smooth riding. I rode them on some roads that are flat makers and had no punctures. The sidewalls seem very light/thin so I decided that they would not be my primary long distance touring tire, but one of them is packed in the panniers for a spare. For training they seem to be a great tire.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just mounted the new tires, and yes they are the size they say they are, 32s. I can't wait to ride them now, but I got a few stitches to get rid of first. I would sure like to stick around some, but this BF web site is really acting up for me so I'll talk to you whenever, safe riding, George
    George

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, I ride on Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard Aramid Belt, 700x32, max PSI is 90. With my 170 weight, I could probably get by with riding on 75 PSI.

I ride on 90 PSI to keep up in club rides. I'm usually in last place on my Trek hybrid ... but even at max pressure, my Trek 730 is a comfortable ride on the Pasela Tour Guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George:

Did I read your post correctly? The 32's actually measure 32 now?

I hope not, I so need a passela/T-serv that's 30...

Thanks George,

dan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danf58
    George:

Did I read your post correctly? The 32's actually measure 32 now?

I hope not, I so need a passela/T-serv that's 30...

Thanks George,

dan

Yes what you read is true, I took off Continental 4 seasons 28mm and If, they are not as fast, they are pretty close.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply George!

dan