Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrate!! Hydrate!!

With warmer weather finally getting here, it is just natural that your body requires more fluids. If you are challenged with remembering to drink fluids while riding, keep an eye on your watch/timer and take 2-3 swallows on regular intervals-like every 10 or 15 mins. Also, you probably want to consider something other than just water for the longer rides and warmer days.

I felt puny yesterday pm after two longish rides Saturday and Sunday and I'm sure it's related to not hydrating properly!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    With warmer weather finally getting here, it is just natural that your body requires more fluids. If you are challenged with remembering to drink fluids while riding, keep an eye on your watch/timer and take 2-3 swallows on regular intervals-like every 10 or 15 mins. Also, you probably want to consider something other than just water for the longer rides and warmer days.

I felt puny yesterday pm after two longish rides Saturday and Sunday and I'm sure it's related to not hydrating properly!!
    You can hydrate as much as you like on the ride and even after a ride- but the day after- I live at the water cooler at work. Same with food. One hard ride on Sunday and it is extra food on mondays.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to do just that and I can feel the difference when I forget to drink on a ride.
    But, like, stepfam, I just canNOT drink enough after I get back home. I drink like a fish for the rest of the day.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Schwin Caliente,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water?

other than water...what is good?
    The pump dont work caus the vandals stole the handle

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wait to drink until you're thirsty - you're doing it right. Drinking before you're thirsty can put you at risk for hyponatremia.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    If you wait to drink until you're thirsty - you're doing it right. Drinking before you're thirsty can put you at risk for hyponatremia.
    I've read much more often to NOT wait until you are thirsty. But Hammer Nutrition does list excess hydration as number one in the top ten nutrition mistakes cyclists make, so while it is important to down enough fluids, you don't want to overdo it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you drink at regular intervals and a prescribed amount, hyponatremia is not an issue. From what I've read, people who drink WAY too much plain water are the ones that are the most susceptable to hypo.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports drinks don't protect from hyponatremia, if you are at risk. Here's a fact sheet on the problem, aimed at distance runners - the info is pertinent to cyclists: http://www.amaasportsmed.org/programs/qasheet.pdf.
    Most of us won't ever have serious trouble with dehydration or hyponatremia, with a little knowledge and prudent behavior.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set my timer at ten minutes and everytime it beeps, I have a sip. If I feel thirsty at another time, I take a sip. Works for me and I'm one of nature's great sweaters living in a hot environment.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

MAK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports drinks don't protect from hyponatremia, if you are at risk. Here's a fact sheet on the problem, aimed at distance runners - the info is pertinent to cyclists: http://www.amaasportsmed.org/programs/qasheet.pdf.
    Most of us won't ever have serious trouble with dehydration or hyponatremia, with a little knowledge and prudent behavior.
    I heartily disagree with much of what JanMM is saying. Ask a physical therapist or trainer and they will tell you that once you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. Perhaps only slightly but dehydrated never-the-less. Athletes who don't drink regularly in hot weather during exertion have a very real possibility of dehydration. Regarding hyponatremia, JanMM is correct because it requires "mass quantities" of liquid, not the few regular sips over a period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    With warmer weather finally getting here.....
    I wish, I wish. Today we had >50 miles of interstate 25 shut down.
    Some blame the snow. I blame the Colorado drivers. Never-the-less,
    at 7,400 feet we had some real accumulation. In the spirit of 'what
    have you done for me in the last 15 minutes' I can't remember the
    terrific weather last week.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you wrote, "Hydrate! Hydrate!" lest one misinterpret "Drink! Drink!"
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what hyponatremia is- but presume it is over hydrating.

So how much liquid do you need on a ride? On a normal ride I drink at least one bottle per hour. when it gets hot it is 2. On our 12 hour ride- We take 24 litres of water for the two of us but by the 5 or 6 hour mark- you don't want to drink and you don't need to pee. Luckily our backup keeps standing in front of us and won't let us go till we have taken 500mls of water- in front of him- when we get to this stage. He knows how much we have stopped drinking and lack of water has never been our downfall. Too much lying on the tracks and clogging up the bike with mud has though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAK
    I heartily disagree with much of what JanMM is saying. Ask a physical therapist or trainer and they will tell you that once you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. Perhaps only slightly but dehydrated never-the-less. Athletes who don't drink regularly in hot weather during exertion have a very real possibility of dehydration. Regarding hyponatremia, JanMM is correct because it requires "mass quantities" of liquid, not the few regular sips over a period of time.
    I'm not making this stuff up.....how about info from the American College of Sports Medicine? http://www.acsm.org/Content/ContentF...ming_Races.htm

Highlights: 1.Work to Minimize Risk of Both Hyponatremia and Dehydration.
    2.Drink to Match Fluid Loss and On a Schedule. 3.Consume Salty Foods and Beverages.

Thirst does not equal dehydration. It's a signal that it's time to drink.
    Drink up! Just don't overdo it.

MAK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An argument here is counterproductive. A sore muscle is the bodies way of signaling that the muscle need to recover and possibly rest. Thirst is the bodies way of signaling that the body needs fluids. If the body needs fluids, the body is dehydrated. Thirst is the first signal of dehydration no matter how mild. I think that we are getting caught up in the definition of dehydration which can be mild (discomfort and annoyance) or severe (life threatening). Note that the site you reference (while accuraate) discusses prevention of dehydration but doesn't name or discuss the symptoms. Take a look at any definition of dehydration and the symptoms include thirst. For example, see the Mayo Clinic site below.

The other source for my information comes from a coaching clinic that I took for a State youth soccer licensing course taught by the head trainer for the United States National team. This trainer guided the team through the World Cup three times, one being the Cup played in the USA where temperatures were in the mid 90's for almost every game. The point that he stressed continuously was that athletes need to hydrate before and during the games before they got thirsty because once they became thirsty dehydration (albeit mild at the onset) had set in and the problem went from maintaining hydration to recovery.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deh...561/DSECTION=2

Why don't we just agree to agree that proper hydration is important and leave it at that.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydration is important. Indeed. The rule of thumb that I've seen in a lot of references is that you should take in about as much fluid as you lose in sweating. If you consistently lose weight during exercise, you might not be drinking enough, and if you gain weight during exercise, then you might be drinking too much.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Recently bought a Camelback so that I can have more water easily at hand during longer summer rides - my recumbent only accomodates one bottle in a convenient location)