Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What weight problem!!

My body must have heard that I was threatening Lipo a few weeks ago..........

Over the past couple of weeks the extra pounds I've been carrying and have fussed about have flown away. I had lost at least 50 pounds from riding and plateaued a few years ago. I'm now seeing my weight drop even below those historic levels.

Not sure exactly why but suspect it is more the type of riding-longer rides at lower heart rates along with better nutrition. Maybe it's doing all these climbs at higher cadences, slow speeds????

Oranges-maybe they are the answer. I have added oranges to my diet and eat one whenever I get that mid-morning or afternoon- or evening craving. I've come to really love those things....

I'm excited about getting in terrific, mid-season shape this early in the year.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe that once you get into shape for longer rides that the body does more to burn weight off later in the ride.

I would guess that the theory is that easy calories go first, so more weight loss calories go in the second hour of a ride than the first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the riding is probably the key, but there might be something about the oranges, too. The Fat Cyclist (who, having gotten down to around 160 lbs, can't really be called fat anymore) swears by grapefruit:
    http://www.fatcyclist.com/2007/01/

Congratulations! It's nice to know that a long-standing plateau is not necessarily forever.
    <-- light beer

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started Weight Watchers in Sept 06 when I started bike commuting. I haven't been as good at WW as I have about sticking to the bike. I've gone from 193 to, as of last night, a new low of 143. I'm still losing! This bike thing really is the answer to life.
    So, carry on Mr. Weight Loss!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew
    I started Weight Watchers in Sept 06 when I started bike commuting. I haven't been as good at WW as I have about sticking to the bike. I've gone from 193 to, as of last night, a new low of 143. I'm still losing! This bike thing really is the answer to life.
    So, carry on Mr. Weight Loss!
    Good job! Question: Are you slower going down hills? That's the only possible downside to losing weight, that I can think of?