User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday Rides, 4/22

Well, with the first nice weekend here in the northeast I'm assuming everyone got a ride in. Let's hear about them.

My wife and I did about 20 miles along the Blackstone River in RI. Nice ride, beautiful day but the MUP was very crowded. I finally broke down and bought a new seat for the $299 Windsor ebay special. The seat that came with it was horrendous. Got a Specialized Body Glove (can't rememeber which model) but it is much better and I had a blast on the cheap low-tech bike.

Part of the MUP had washed away from the river overflowing during last weeks storm. We had to walk our bikes across a ravine about 10 feet deep and 20 yards wide. You could see the pieces of pavement about 30-40 yards into the woods. Amazing the damage water can do. Sorry I didn't have the camera with me.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather was perfect down here, we did our 61 mile road ride from Weston up to Parkland and back. Temps were in the 70s with low humidity and beautiful blue skies. We have been dodging the humidity so far this year which has been great. Finished the 61 miles with 17.9mph average which was just fine. The only downside to this ride is we end up with about 17 minutes in trafiic light stops by the time we are done.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the most of fabulous weather: A fast solo 20-miler on Saturday followed by a slow 20-miler with a friend later the same day. Then a 30+ endurance ride on Sunday. The lawn never did get mowed.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate and spent a couple days around Boone, NC where the roads were perfect, the weather was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect, the views were perfect, the traffic was.......well at least it was not at a seasonal peak.

I did about 70 miles on Saturday with about 6800 ft of climbing. It included 3 long climbs of 2-5 miles each. Sunday I did another 55 miles with about 3000 ft of climbing. It was just too perfect not to ride......I did rides on roads that are used for Blood, Sweat & Gears and Bridge to Bridge. The neat thing was I parked my van where I could do loops out of that stop so I was able to use it a Sag stop for about every 2 hours of riding!! I only had to take a single water bottle and grabbed snacks in the van as needed.

On one of the long 5 mile climbs I was about half way and a group of 20 motorcyclists came zipping past. This was a very curvy road and they were enjoying themselves. I made it to the top and a single Highway Patrolman had all 20 of them over to the side of the road.......They looked at me like they wanted to trade rides as I was easing on past them.

Truly a terrific weekend to be outdoors in the Carolinas.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, no pics today

Saturday was roadie day...did the Wasaga-Creemore-Glen Huron-Collingwwod-Wasaga loop...about 100km

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=on&zipcode=

Sunday, 3 hours on the home trails with the big bikes, then 2 hours on the roads in town, checking out the action at The Beach

and we're off...a new season
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather was fantastic here and I took advantage of every minute.

Saturday started with the "Bike for the Health of It" biking program. We had 56 riders and enjoyed a short 12 mile ride on one of the paved trails. We passed a group of 40+ Boy Scouts on bikes who were headed to the Earth Day river cleanup in downtown Dayton. A busy day on the local trails!

After the BFTHOI ride I headed to another park in town to join other patrol members who were assisting with the river clean-up. After a ride along the river to see if anyone needed assistance we headed off to the 2nd Street Market to meet other patrol members for lunch. We have a booth at the market to distribute information on the biking program, trails in the area and updates on the new mountain bike trails. I'm not sure how the park district became involved with this market but it's been a very successful project

http://www.metroparks.org/_2ndStreet...tOverview.aspx

I only managed 25 miles Saturday but it was great to see all the people involved in the river cleanup effort.

Sunday morning it was the 30 mile breakfast ride. It's always ride as hard as you can for the 20 miles to the restaurant, eat breakfast and then ride the 10 mile return at a more sensible pace. There were 6 of us and after 8 miles of a 18-20 mph pace the 3 older riders (that includes me) decided to drop off and let the youngn's have at it We must not have slowed down too much as the faster group was just getting their coffee when we arrived.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 30 miles of the Cherry Ride, out of town along The Columbia River and the dam, then wonderful hilly rural roads. Even saw a new vineyard (big) being put in, that is really cherry orchard and wheat country so very interesting that someone is also saying vineyard. Other than the week long ride last year, that I went we sisters, this was my first supported 1 day group ride. It was very enjoyable, met up with 2 women from Salem, going about the same speed, so I even had someone to ride with. I will definitely do more of them, seeing new country was very fun.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We rode the Chico Wiildflower century on the tandem. We ran the gamut as far as weather was concerned.

It rained heavily on Saturday, and there were lingering showers Sunday morning, as well as wet roads, but nothing too bad. As we climbed into the Sierra foothills we found the fog, then cold, then rain. We descended out of Paradise, out of the fog, cold & rain, into clearing skies & dry roads.

Had a bit of headwind after lunch, on the flatter part of the course, but the sun was warm & the scenery was very pretty. It was shaping up to be one of the more challenging centuries we've done from the standpoint of climbing and we were feeling spent but happy with our efforts.

Riding through downtown Chico, with about 3 miles to go, some rube opened his parked truck's door right into us. No way to avoid it. Hello, pavement! Aside from contusions & some road rash we're okay. The tandem's front wheel is taco'ed, the captain's seat & my bars terribly askew; we're taking it to the LBS today to assess other damage. Although we had witnesses, none of the cyclists left contact information. A local lawyer saw the whole thing & intervened in our behalf, so we left with the rube's contact info. The driver was insisting that the accident was our fault & complaining about his bent door -- never once inquired if *we* were okay. We're filing a police report but doubt that we'll recover the cost of repairs; the guy's a real asshat but that's a different post.

So today dawn's clear, calm & warm. I wanna go for a bike ride!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday I did a quick 15 miler before it was off to a social event. Sunday I did a 47 miler with my wife - beautiful day. Monday, I read what JPPE did and am humbled.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    Well, with the first nice weekend here in the northeast I'm assuming everyone got a ride in. Let's hear about them.

My wife and I did about 20 miles along the Blackstone River in RI. Nice ride, beautiful day but the MUP was very crowded. Sorry I didn't have the camera with me.
    Hey neighbor. Did you ride with the Wheelmen? I got two good days in and both are blogged with music. Here

I'll be riding the East Bay Path on Saturday for the breakfast ride with Catnorm. I hope.

See you around.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate all of you. The weather was perfect here too, but I did not get to ride either on Saturday or Sunday. Went to visit my Mother on Saturday which is an all day affair. I did get the chance to get out in the country for an hour or so and pick some fresh asparagus though! (Cannot beat really fresh asparagus, somehow that four day trip between California and Missouri affects it...) Sunday was perfect too, but I had to spend the entire day organizing a dog event (Purina Incredible Dog Challenge Jack Russell Racing) that is going to be held in Wichita KS on May 11 and 12. Thought I had everything pretty well lined out but am getting late cancellations and have to fill slots. Weather is not so nice today, a few showers and t-stroms are in the area. Today though, after work, rain or shine, I will be pedaling somewhere. My brain needs it. Actually I don't hate you, I just envy you, but I do hate that I wasn't able to ride on two really great days.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, there were cupcakes

I had planned on 40-60 miles or so, but a server maintenance project (always scheduled for Sunday mornings) stretched out until after 3pm.

My plans had been to ride out into the country to visit a friend, show off my completed new-to-me project/road bike, maybe take a spin on his new recumbent, then stop at my parents for dinner on the way home. Had to axe the visit/showing off/bent riding due to the late start.

I wanted to see what sort of bike traffic there was on the MUPs, so that's the route I chose to my parents. Mountain bikes, hybrids, and kids with training wheels all over the place. I spotted only one other road bike. (Which makes sense because, how many roadies want to deal with Sunday afternoon MUP traffic?)

And I learned that hybrid riders don't wave when you're on a road bike, even when you wave and say hello first. Reverse discrimination? Fear of lycra?

Came upon a mom and teenaged son on matching Trek hybrids. She had just faceplanted on the pavement. I did what I could, while I mentally kicked myself for not packing my first-aid kit in my trunk bag. A month ago after a rottweiller knocked me off my bike on the same MUP, I swore I'd always carry one. I even put some of the basics inside a Nalgene bottle for protection and easier carrying.

Further on, two or three moms were herding easily 20 kids on training wheels along the MUP. (Note: I did not word this "were easily herding".) Fortunately, that section is as wide as a two-lane road with shoulders, so I was able to thread through the gaps, without even cranking it up to 400 watts!

It's times like these that I love my Incredibell. (Yes, I even have one on the road bike. What's 50 grams?) Imagine one old guy instigating 20 kids to ring their bells, to the consternation of the herding moms.

Dinner was venison chops and steaks, marinated and cooked outside on the grill. A wild rice dish and beets on the side. This was followed by coconut cake. Yes, I had seconds. Packing carbs, don't cha know.

The afternoon's headwind had vanished and the ride home was wind-free with the setting sun at my back. I'm not sure whether to attribute it to the absence of headwind or to the coconut cake, but I was 1.5 MPH faster on the trip home.

And the cupcakes mentioned in the title? Four of them (chocolate chip with chocolate frosting) packed in the trunk bag in the space the first-aid kit might have occupied.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    We rode the Chico Wiildflower century on the tandem. We ran the gamut as far as weather was concerned.

Riding through downtown Chico, with about 3 miles to go, some rube opened his parked truck's door right into us. No way to avoid it. Hello, pavement! Aside from contusions & some road rash we're okay. The tandem's front wheel is taco'ed, the captain's seat & my bars terribly askew; we're taking it to the LBS today to assess other damage. Although we had witnesses, none of the cyclists left contact information. A local lawyer saw the whole thing & intervened in our behalf, so we left with the rube's contact info. The driver was insisting that the accident was our fault & complaining about his bent door -- never once inquired if *we* were okay. We're filing a police report but doubt that we'll recover the cost of repairs; the guy's a real asshat but that's a different post.

So today dawn's clear, calm & warm. I wanna go for a bike ride!
    Glad to hear the injuries weren't too serious. Sorry about the tandem
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn
    Hey neighbor. Did you ride with the Wheelmen? I got two good days in and both are blogged with music. Here

I'll be riding the East Bay Path on Saturday for the breakfast ride with Catnorm. I hope.

See you around.
    Nope, not with the Wheelmen, just me and my wife. I love the East Bay Path. We ride it often but my favorite ride is on the 4th of July. We ride it down and watch the Bristol parade, no parking hastle and it makes for a great day. Although average speed once you get down toward Warren is probably about 6mph. Some of our other favorite places are Newport and Block Island.

Nice Blog!
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bev - glad to hear you're OK. Not every day you are glad a lawyer's nearby!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already posted on Fantastic weather---And Ride. But 47 miles offroad yesterday on a perfect day for riding. Out for 5 hours and did 47 miles and a breakfast.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried mixing business with pleasure . . . with mixed results. After taking pictures of our local high school baseball team I decided to ride to a neighboring town to take pictures of their game. The route would end up being about 30 miles, a perfect Saturday afternoon ride. Weather was nearly 60 and partly sunny. Got to the ballgame and shot pix for 5 innings, watching the clouds get darker, the wind pick up and the temperature started to drop. Headed back home with a strong tailwind and some sprinkles. Got about 1/2 mile down the road when the heavens opened up. Stayed fairly warm, but my shoes and gloves were soon drenched.

Made it to within 4 miles from home when the winds shifted directly into my face, blowing the road spray into my eyes. First real moisture in weeks, and the spray started to sting my eyes (I think it is the ice melt left over from winter). Then the temps plunged to the 30s and my fingers were going numb. It just wasn't fun anymore. I wimped out and I called my wife to rescue me.

Got a nice 15 mile ride in and a miserable 11 mile cold shower!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redhat-

Sorry to hear about a Downed Tandem. The way they are built I hope you wrecked his door and a lot more on his vehicle. I ride an offroad Tandem- and the way that is built up front-I know the damage it can do to a car. Hope you are OK and that the T will be up and running with the trucker paying.

Cant suggest you get a full downhill wheel fitted to the front- But if that hits you- It goes through you. It is solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Friday I did about 40 miles that took me just inside the NW corner of Mt. Rainier National Park. Decent roads, not too many cars (almost zero the closer you got to the Park), surrounded by big pine forest. The weather was dry, but cloudy so no spectacular views of the peak. That's OK it was therapeutically (sp?) AWESOME.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I participated in my first organized ride of the year, the Girls With Gears event, "A Women's Cycling Event" was their stick, but quite a few guys were there. Since I retired I haven't been very fond of early wake up times, so I arrived to start my 25 miles about 30 minutes after the mass start. Weather was great, route not so great. Too many hills for this flatlander. At the hill by the ski slope, or maybe it was the actual slope, was the first place I saw some others. Two gals taking an extended break on the side of the road. I kept pedaling till I ran out of gears, down to maybe 3 mph, then dismounted and walked the last part of hill. Gals past me while I was walking. Got to top of hill only to discover it wasn't the top, the slope just dropped off a bit. Eventually climbed back on bike. From about mile 4 I rode entire event in the 34t bottom gear. I'm sure I came down a hill at some point, but mostly I was riding up hill. Around each turn was another hill. Must have gone up about 20 miles and down only 2. Actually any downhill was a coast to rest legs, no desire to pedal and go for fast speed. The first rest stop was at mile 12. Have no idea how long an old man should rest. Knew enough to eat a banana. Gave it 5 or 6 minutes and took off again. I felt a bit pooped out of the rest stop, probably something to do with stopping my riding and muscles shutting down. Took about 2 miles for muscles to wake up or banana to kick in. Then blessed with a mile or two of flatland. For some reason there was a water break at mile 16. Had quick drink and continued on. Finally caught up with some people around mile 22. On the last significant down hill my 248 pounds rolled by them all, but a stop sign and uphill slowed me to a craw again, and all but a few passed. At the end of this uphill I was pretty much done for the day. Unfortunately I was 2 miles from finish. Finally made it to the finish, my butt arrived about 5 minutes later. Had a couple 4" sandwiches and some pasta salad. Grabbed a soft pretzel and checked out the booths. Nice festive atmosphere at end. About 500 bodies my guess. Local Trek dealer had the 3 sp auto shift "Lime" there. Not getting much attention. At this point in time, I would NOT ride this event again; but hopefully next year I may actually be lighter. Or maybe I can sneak a little motor on the bike. Next for me is the Horsefarm Tour in Hanover, York Co., PA.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up with 69 mile ride on Sunday. One of 10 cloudless days we get here in W. Pa. Great.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Redhat-

Sorry to hear about a Downed Tandem. The way they are built I hope you wrecked his door and a lot more on his vehicle. I ride an offroad Tandem- and the way that is built up front-I know the damage it can do to a car. Hope you are OK and that the T will be up and running with the trucker paying.

Cant suggest you get a full downhill wheel fitted to the front- But if that hits you- It goes through you. It is solid.
    Thanks, Stapfam. Re the door: As we pulled away he was complaining about how we bent his door, and that we were responsible for it. Not! His truck was an older model, he'll most likely have to scour the junkyards to find a replacement. Heh.

That wheel looks mean. I'm so tempted...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.