Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay off the roads!!!!

While I'm trying to do a recovery ride. I really want to keep my heart rate down and just cruise along. Why do other cyclists have to interfere?????

I was just about at the end of my ride yesterday with only the longest and steepest hill remaining. It is about 1 mile long and averages about 10% so it can get you breathing pretty good. My goal was to ride as easily as I could up that darn thing to keep the HR down. Plus I had over 10,000 ft of climbing over the past two days and didn't want to add to the already somewhat tested legs.

About 1/4 mile from the base of the climb what do I see??? It is another cyclist that is just about at the base of the climb going the same direction as me. The first thing that enters my mind is I wonder if I can overtake the guy that has a substantial lead by the time we get to the top??? What happened to the idea of taking it easy?????

Another out of body experience. The legs and body cannot be controlled and off I go......It is if the bike knows what is going on and lunges ahead. I'm out of the saddle pumping like mad. I hit the base of the hill with a good head of steam and settle into a good cadence for climbing but several gears harder than what I'd planned. I lock in on the other cyclist and he's moving along pretty good but I can tell I'm gaining ground and closing the gap. The HR is soaring, the legs are screaming but there is another rider ahead who needs to be caught!!!!

Up we go both quickly closing in on the top. The fellow ahead hears me coming and picks up the pace. Oh NO!! Find another gear and off I go.

About one bike length from the top I'm able to inch past him. We have a little conversation and off I go.

Paid for it but hey, how often do you get a chance like that????

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Up we go both quickly closing in on the top. The fellow ahead hears me coming and picks up the pace. Oh NO!! Find another gear and off I go.

About one bike length from the top I'm able to inch past him. We have a little conversation and off I go.

I saw you coming, jppe, but I had a flat tire and that was as fast as I could go on 20 pounds of pressure.

But, I enjoyed our little conversation.

I hope you weren't winded.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-23-07 at 03:46 PM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    While I'm trying to do a recovery ride. I really want to keep my heart rate down and just cruise along. Why do other cyclists have to interfere?????

I was just about at the end of my ride yesterday with only the longest and steepest hill remaining. It is about 1 mile long and averages about 10% so it can get you breathing pretty good. My goal was to ride as easily as I could up that darn thing to keep the HR down. Plus I had over 10,000 ft of climbing over the past two days and didn't want to add to the already somewhat tested legs.

About 1/4 mile from the base of the climb what do I see??? It is another cyclist that is just about at the base of the climb going the same direction as me. The first thing that enters my mind is I wonder if I can overtake the guy that has a substantial lead by the time we get to the top??? What happened to the idea of taking it easy?????

Another out of body experience. The legs and body cannot be controlled and off I go......It is if the bike knows what is going on and lunges ahead. I'm out of the saddle pumping like mad. I hit the base of the hill with a good head of steam and settle into a good cadence for climbing but several gears harder than what I'd planned. I lock in on the other cyclist and he's moving along pretty good but I can tell I'm gaining ground and closing the gap. The HR is soaring, the legs are screaming but there is another rider ahead who needs to be caught!!!!

When I chase I have one rule, if I catch someone I have to be prepared to keep the same pace it took to catch them. I feel pretty silly if I chase someone and pass them only to have no gas left and get passed by the same rider I passed. I will sometimes chase and stop prior to the pass because I know I can't maintain the pace it took to catch them. Down here with nothing much to look at and no hills to challenge you but overpasses you have to take your fun where you can get it. Did you go for the lean at the finish and raise your arms for KOM title?
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discipline, man, discipline! Where is your discipline? Perhaps one of the most challenging things for me is sticking to the recovery ride plan. I know the demons that drove you to the top all too well.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't you just love it when someone pushes you so hard( it is unimportant whether or not they know that they are pushing you) that you will ride till you drop.

The challenges that you issue to yourself are the toughest ones to leave alone.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the guy in the distance that everyone drops. I consider it a public service.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

seattle based cyclist merlinman's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep doing this and encouraging everyone else to do it too! ;-).
    Andiamo!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Did you go for the lean at the finish and raise your arms for KOM title?
    Ha!!! I was doing all this very stealth like...trying to be cool like I WASN'T killing myself-Although it was pretty obvious with my gasping for air when I hit the top!!!
    Last edited by jppe; 04-23-07 at 02:22 PM.

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    I'm the guy in the distance that everyone drops. I consider it a public service.

me too!
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever catch & pass someone only to be stopped by a red light & have barely enough breath left to grunt an answer when they pull up & start chatting? Probably how we get a reputation of "retrogrouch"! Don

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Caught one yesterday, turned out to be a girl. (give me a break, she had about 40 years on me) I killed myself building about a 30 second lead in the next 3 miles. I hope she didn't see me at the trailhead trying not to throw up in the bushes.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bastige! I would never make you have to work that hard.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rest of my life is (I think) very non-competitive but there is just
    something wrong with a bike in front of me. I have to fix it too.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thread.
    Just Peddlin' Around

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats it- I ain't riding with you unless you get on the back of the Tandem- And if you overtake me from there- then we are both in trouble.
    Last edited by stapfam; 04-23-07 at 01:00 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is that why tandems are so fast? The guy in back wants to pass the guy in front?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Caught one yesterday, turned out to be a girl. (give me a break, she had about 40 years on me) I killed myself building about a 30 second lead in the next 3 miles. I hope she didn't see me at the trailhead trying not to throw up in the bushes.....

I've come to the conclusion there is a defective male gene causing this reaction
    There is one man in the group I ride with that just can't stand it when a woman passes him. If I pass him on a hill he'll bust his ____ to catch up and pass me.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suffer from no dilusions of grandeur . . . I'm faster than I used to be, but not fast enough to catch anyone worth catching!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly

I've come to the conclusion there is a defective male gene causing this reaction
    There is one man in the group I ride with that just can't stand it when a woman passes him. If I pass him on a hill he'll bust his ____ to catch up and pass me.
    Hate to say it but that one man has a lot of defective genes. If he can't sit behind a female rider and enjoy the view- then he cannot be normal.

Sorry about the sexist bit- but I have also had females follow my butt, thighs and calves up a hill. Good job they never overtook me to see if the face matched the parts they could see.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday was my recovery ride as well and when I caught up to a female on a tri-bike I decided not to pass since I was watching my heart rate. Guess I wasn't watching the road when I rode into a pothole...

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Hate to say it but that one man has a lot of defective genes. If he can't sit behind a female rider and enjoy the view- then he cannot be normal.

Sorry about the sexist bit- but I have also had females follow my butt, thighs and calves up a hill. Good job they never overtook me to see if the face matched the parts they could see.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam

You're right, stapfam. This man does have several defects

I have to admit that there is one member of our group who has the most muscular calves I've ever seen on a cyclist and he's one of the oldest members.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to say that I didn't notice it was a girl untill after I was passing. She was pretty fast and I think that I was begining to black out overtaking her..........

The really funny part of the story is when she sailed by at the trail head not even noticing if I was going to die.

DG is right Grey hair is invisable

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post - a 1,000 feet would have done me in.

Some young rider I have 25 years and 75 lbs on passed be on my commute home today. Before I realized it he had a 300 yard lead. I caught up by bringing my speed somewhere over 20mph for a while but ended up backing off to conserve energy. Three quarters into my ride I have a 1.5 mile stretch on 6 lane high speed highway and like to minimize my time - so this old fart has to conserve his energy.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I caught one just at the top of the hill...it was a mailbox!!! I hate it when I do that!!
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only in my dreams.........
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast