Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another new LeMond

I don’t know that I have ever bought anything based on a magazine review, but when I read Bicycling’s review of the LeMond Buenos Aires, I knew I had to at least give it a try. This from someone who wasn’t even bike shopping and who had never ridden a road bike seriously before. I am a 65-year-old, hybrid kind of guy – currently a Cannondale Road Warrior 1000.

So I rode the LeMond and several other bikes in the two grandish category (Specialized Allez and Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, Jamis Xenith Comp—you get the idea). Not a bad one in the bunch (the Roubaix was a dream).

But the Buenos Aires…..wow. On the (long) test ride, I was tempted to get off and check to see if there was some sort of secret motor hidden inside the bike to make it go so fast so easily.

Anyway, I picked it up today and set off on one of my favorite 30-mile rides—which I did 15 minutes faster than I had ever done on the Cannondale…or any other bike. Improving from 2 hours to 1:45 may not impress the roadies, but for me it was a quantum leap.

Photos and more reports to follow, once I have figured out how to tell my wife that I just dropped two large on another toy…..
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats,

Don't forget the photos.

You are tempting me to look into a road bike, but touring gear will eat up more than my budget as it is.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a pleasure to find the right bike that makes it all happen.

Just don't get the (bike buying) fever because there are at least another 2 - 3 that you might like more than the BA. Just think what the Mrs. will think with $10K of bikes in a year or two. Then you can move on to tandems and recumbents and vintage and fixed and ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice, I think you'll be glad you chose the Buenos Aires over the other fine bikes you rode.

Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Photos and more reports to follow, once I have figured out how to tell my wife that I just dropped two large on another toy…..
    I always mention how most other interests cost more and are not healthy like cycling is. It's working so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highest end new bike is around 12 grand. That's less than the cheapest new car, I bet...

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LeMond Buenos Aires is a very nice bike in my mind.

Last night I was looking one over at a shop when a customer brought his LeMond back in to have the shop
    look it over. He was a little upset that it said Lemon on the Downtube on one side. 4 Huge Lemond decals on that bike and they messed up this one. It's mounted right and clearcoated too. I wonder what they will do for that fellow?
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tim,

Congrats! That's good and bad news - means you'll be kicking my butt soon. I'd like to get out this Saturday on the same ride again - you available? If you're feeling too frisky, we'll have to lower your air pressure.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you used the "this bike costs less than the deductable for a bypass" line?

It hasn't worked for me, but it ought to. I'd rather buy a LeMond than a bunch of staples in my sternum.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Have you used the "this bike costs less than the deductable for a bypass" line?

It hasn't worked for me, but it ought to. I'd rather buy a LeMond than a bunch of staples in my sternum.
    Unfortunately didn't work for me- 9 years biking and then the bypass.

I have had many hobbies over the years- but a GOOD bike is an investment. It will always remain a good bike- OK in 5 years time a better investment may come along but look at the other main household expenses that are around. A $2,000 new computer is out of date in 6 months. And the new better one will be required, and the old one has a value a lot less than you paid for it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    But the Buenos Aires…..wow. On the (long) test ride, I was tempted to get off and check to see if there was some sort of secret motor hidden inside the bike to make it go so fast so easily.
    Welcome to the BA Club!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! I bought mine first and I don't even have anything to show for it, yet
    Don't know about the BA -I just (will) have a lowly Reno- but I felt the same way. Once I stopped wobbling around on the darned thing and go to riding it. It felt so much more a part of me that the Synapse 4 Sport I tried (I REALLY would've loved to try the '06 Alloy 4 but they didn't have any in either location).

Now, on Saturday, I'll get to find out if that all was an illusion and I just made a horrible mistake
    Somehow, I think not
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt
    The LeMond Buenos Aires is a very nice bike in my mind.

Last night I was looking one over at a shop when a customer brought his LeMond back in to have the shop
    look it over. He was a little upset that it said Lemon on the Downtube on one side. 4 Huge Lemond decals on that bike and they messed up this one. It's mounted right and clearcoated too. I wonder what they will do for that fellow?
    I just checked and mine has all the words spelled right. I can't imagine how such a thing could happen--must have been a Monday morning bike.....
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grampster,
    I love my BA for sure, it was my first road bike and now has 12,000+ miles. They sure do have a lot of decals on them. I had to get mine powdercoated after some hard miles cross country and all decals are now off. I kind of like it all red with no decals. Still a sweet bike. Good luck with yours.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no greater feeling than getting a new bike. Enjoy the ride!!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Man, I love this bike! Madridjoe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 LeMond tourmalet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking up a LeMond Tourmalet tonight! A huge step up from my 25 year old Univega Super 10, and I am pretty excited. Looking forward to setting some new personal bests of my own.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Unfortunately didn't work for me- 9 years biking and then the bypass.

I have had many hobbies over the years- but a GOOD bike is an investment. It will always remain a good bike- OK in 5 years time a better investment may come along but look at the other main household expenses that are around. A $2,000 new computer is out of date in 6 months. And the new better one will be required, and the old one has a value a lot less than you paid for it.
    Yours is a sobering story. I'd like to think I'm forstalling CAD but Iknow there are a lot of factors that you can't control.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmmm, good luck with the wife.
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARRRRGGGG... is it only Wednesday? I still 3 more days to go before I get my Reno. It's killing me

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madridjoe
    Picking up a LeMond Tourmalet tonight! A huge step up from my 25 year old Univega Super 10, and I am pretty excited. Looking forward to setting some new personal bests of my own.
    My good bike is a Tourmalet. I think you're going to enjoy yours. The only problem I had getting used to mine was pacing myself. The bike kept saying, "Faster, faster, oh God, go faster!"
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Man, I love this bike! Madridjoe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 LeMond tourmalet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After just 20 miles, I can see what you mean, I will post again after I get more time on it, but I think I will be very happy with this bike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat
    <snip>The bike kept saying, "Faster, faster, oh God, go faster!"

That's it! I've read this a few times here and I never quite grasped it but that's exactly what the Reno made me feel like when I test rode it last week. It just made me push -but I never really felt like I was *working* at it- and took what I had to give without even approaching it's limits. Before I tried it out, I thought this bike was too good for me. I still do but... that just means I'll have to get better so I can justify the purchase. Why not? It's worked for every guitar I have.