Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You never forget how to ...

... fix a flat... but you DO get rusty.
    I haven't dealt with a flat in over 20 years. 'Course I wasn't riding during those 20 years; that's one way around the problem. Two miles from home last night, something didn't feel right. The bike felt loose and bouncy in the back end. I looked down at the tire and -yep- it was awfully low. Not knowing why I should have a flat -visual inspection didn't turn up anything- I pumped the tire back up and off I went. After about 150-200 yards it was down again. So, I figured I'll just keep stopping and pumping and limp back home; it's not that much farther to go. It didn't take long to figure out that wasn't gonna cut it and there's no way I'm climbing the 11% grade home on a loose tire, it's hard enough as it is.. So, I started walking it home but I thought "Damn! I'm not walking back - I have patches. I have a spare tube", so I plunked down on a bus top bench, pulled out my tire "irons" and yanked of the wheel. Hm. Now what? I haven't done this in a while... OK, pop the bead loose -CAREFUL of that tube, don't pinch it. Tried to pull the tube out and find a hole... nope. OK, just take the whole tire off the rim... hm. still can't find the leak. Alright, then, just replace the tube and deal with patching after I get home... And there it was. I remembered how but I was fighting it, just like the very first time I had to do that on the road. Probably -surely- would've gotten home faster had I walked

I did find the leak but it was in an odd place.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An "odd place"? where was it, simple minds want to know.
    Was it in such and odd place the you need to look closer at the tire or rim to inspect for damage?

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After riding BIG Tire bikes for many years I made the switch a few years back to an old Peugoet that needed some work. I rebuilt it using some new stuff like a Carbon fork and more modern brakes, but went the retro-grouch way and left the gearing and downtube shifters intact.

I had many a flat with that beast. I LOVED it when it was up and pumped, but my roads were marginal at best due to the Winter pounding they get. Went to a slightly wider 25C tire and that helped, but those old rims had a really tight bead/sidewall which made for very careful tube changes.

I loved the speed of that old Peugoet! That is one I should not have sold off and I'm still looking for a replacement!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *knew* I should've just said... it was on the "underside" of the tube
    Before I started, I checked for cuts or punctures on the tire... saw none... so I checked the rim to see if any spokes were poking through the rim liner. Didn't feel any. So, I'm not sure why it went flat but the new tube seems to be staying up so far.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    I *knew* I should've just said... it was on the "underside" of the tube
    Before I started, I checked for cuts or punctures on the tire... saw none... so I checked the rim to see if any spokes were poking through the rim liner. Didn't feel any. So, I'm not sure why it went flat but the new tube seems to be staying up so far.
    Sounds as though you do have "Rare" puncture. You will have to get offroad more often. We have on average 3 punctures per ride in our group. But it is a "Group" thing to change a tube. One gets the irons and patch kit out- Another the tube and puts some air in it. That is where you find out that you will need the patch kit as the owner of the tube has not repaired it after his last puncture. I normally take the wheel out but at the same time I swear at the owner cos he hasn't greased his brake cable in years and it is stiff. Tyre off on one side and I pass the wheel to someone else to check for thorns- I am not that stupid to put my hand round the inside of a tyre looking for a thorn but we do have newcomers that haven't learnt yet. Then it is tube back in that has had a few pumps to inflate a bit a bit and the tyre on. Then the one that has been looking at the rest of us changing the tube is given the pump. By the time he has finished that, the old tube is patched- packed and we are ready to go. Time- should be under 2 minutes but if it is raining- has been done in 1 1/2.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan