Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the job kills you????????

Ok guys, thought I would put this one here as I am not 50 but almost there. What to do when the Job is literally killing you? I drive a Tri Axle Dump truck, I am up at 3:30-4 am and home by 4 usually. the. All day I am getting beat to a pulp by the truck, dizzy and wasted. By the time I get home I am damn near comatose, let alone in any shape to ride a bike. As usual there are other things to do in life on weekends besides ride. The question is if I can get in a ride on Sat and Sun almost every week will that be enough to stay in shape and actually gain in performance?? I will be getting my new bike in a week or 2, Fuji Newest 2.0 and am really thinking I made a mistake buying it. Anyone in a like situation??

Thanks Tony

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Start simple. Take it out for a ride on weekends. Try short rides some weeknights after getting home.

Hopefully you will find it a stress reliever. The exercise is also different from what you get in the day and may in fact make you start to feel better after a few weeks.

all the while you will slowly be building bicycle fitness which will allow more agressive rides. Mostly have fun. Ride around and look at things, feel the spring weather. The bicycle will become a mini vacation every day.

good luck and good riding.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I am in a job that makes me wish away 5 years of my life by wanting to retire now. At the end of a Day I am shattered. and most of my riding is at the weekends. However- I did for a couple of years manage to get the evening rides in once or twice a week. That is hard again- but I do two rides in the evenings. Tuesday I go out for a quick blast on a 5 mile route. I am now up to sprinting that distance and it does seem to be working. Then on Thursdays I go out for a few hills. Normally around 20 miles and it is hard to get home- get the bike out and exercise. I forced myself to do it at the start of the winter- but now it is part of my riding week.

As to only doing one ride a week. I had to do this for many years but it does work on weight control and fitness. Not as good as getting a little extra in but it does help to keep the Medics at bay.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a car mechanic and during the summer it's over 100 degrees here, plus I work under the hood while the evil things are running. I am cooked after a long summer day running around in the sun and my performance on the bike suffers. Still, if I can go out for an hour or two once during the week, it makes me feel better, at least mentally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking, is that the more you ride, the better shape you'll be in and the less your job will take out of you. Then of course, there is the mental aspect. Riding does something good to your positive well being.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfrance
    My thinking, is that the more you ride, the better shape you'll be in and the less your job will take out of you. Then of course, there is the mental aspect. Riding does something good to your positive well being.
    That's the point I was trying to make, the mental aspect. It really helps me face the thought of going to work the next day to suffer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to keep 17 and 18 year olds interested in Chemistry is exhausting. Throw in coaching Science Olympiad for three quarters of the school year and I feel like I run marathons each day. I love it, but by the end of the I am wiped out. I still try to ride at least 20 miles a day.

When I get off the bike I am ready for the next day. I feel refreshed and calm. The mental calming helps me with the interactions with the kids, the parents and the administration. Sometimes things get so crazy in high schools, that without the bike rides I wouldn't be able to do it.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,

As someone who lived in NJ most of my life and also loved cycling, I found it a remarkable tonic to move to Virginia, where the roads are more open and beautiful. Here in the Charlottesville area, unemployment is well under 3 percent and housing, by Jersey standards, is affordable. PM me if you want some job leads. I'l see what I can do.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can not be in any worse shape than I was after a 14 year layoff from almost all sports. Today I am still trying to figure out why I did that. Anayway. Take it slow.
    When I started out I would come home looking like heck and proud to have done 10 miles. If you have a rail trail or path that may be a good place to get going without the issue of traffic.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonphil1960
    ... there are other things to do in life on weekends besides ride.
    What language is this written in? I don't understand what it means.

It does not compute
    It does not compute
    It does not compute
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Familiar story here: I work in an unairconditioned machine shop in Texas. It's brutal from June to September, but I get in two or three weekday evening rides every week, and longer rides on the weekend.

Being in great aerobic shape helps with everything. I'm convinced I tolerate the shop conditions better because of my riding, and I don't worry about keeling over with a heat attack while mowing my yard on one of those 105 degree evenings.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, Yes I guess you are right, the better shape I am in the easier the job will be on me. I did try that route once and it was next to impossible but I will try it again. Maybe when I get the new bike my drive will increase?

Jet, Thanks, I have heard that about old Virginee, there are alot of people moving there from here, NC too. Unfortunately with my daughter in college I will have to wait a few more years to finally get out of this mad house NJ.

Thanks Tony

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    What language is this written in? I don't understand what it means.

It does not compute
    It does not compute
    It does not compute
    Sometimes you have to oil the chain or true the wheels or replace the brake pads

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya. I have a stressful job in high tech in the Boston area. Add to that a 1.5 hr commute each way. By the time I get home it's 7:00PM and I would much rather sit on my deck and have a beer. But last year I started riding and also quit smoking. My normal routine then was to do a short 3 mile route of hills around the neighborhood and maybe 10-15 miles on weekends. But then I ventured out of the hood and 3 miles became 5, then 7, then 10. I now try to do the 10 miles at least 3 nights a week and at least 30-40 on weekends. I have to admit that I feel better than I did when I was 40. Just start slow and let it happen.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Tony,

As someone who lived in NJ most of my life and also loved cycling, I found it a remarkable tonic to move to Virginia, where the roads are more open and beautiful. Here in the Charlottesville area, unemployment is well under 3 percent and housing, by Jersey standards, is affordable. PM me if you want some job leads. I'l see what I can do.
    I hope you would include our Charlottesville's office in that group I keep asking my manager to send me there for a month or two this summer but he keeps insisting the online "meeting place" can handle all the required meetings
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't listen to that voice in your head when it tells you you are too tired or have too little time etc. Make the effort and once you get out on the bike everything gets better. After riding awhile you will develop guilt for not riding which easily overcomes the voice that says you are too tired, its too cold, its raining ...
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my two cents: I think it's important to build some new behavioral patterns, and to do so slowly, with realistic expectations,and a high level of consistency. Many people find it difficult to stay with a new routine, despite knowing "it will be good for me". I'd encourage you to set some modest goals for when the new bike arrives. Something like ride at least 15 to 20 minutes three times a week. Do this for three weeks and then gradually increase the time and/or frequency. I wouldn't worry about distance, speed, etc. In the early stages you're just trying to build a new habit into your routine. You may find the first few weeks the hardest (most habits don't really take hold untill we've been consistent with them for at least 15 days. Good luck with your efforts.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About these extra rides in the week most of us do. Very often you do not feel like riding- but set a night to go. No matter what you feel like on that night- get the bike out and ride it. You do not have to go fast and you do not have to go far. Only thing is that once you get out there- the tiredness seems to disappear. The lethargy of not wanting to do anything has gone- because you are doing something.

Before you know it- the legs are not too tired so push the speed up a bit. You are not going far so as you are out there you might as well take in a hill, and the breathing gets easier and the Heart rate is well under control. Thats it- you might aswell get a decent ride in as you are out there- but more to the point- The ride you did not feel like doing is left far behind.

I often get spells when I do not want to get out. I have forced myself out on a ride that I did not want to do- but 10 minutes later and I am enjoying it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I hear all of ya, I do know for a fact then once you get on the bike it's enjoyable. Getting moving to get on the bike is the hard part. I still am smoking ( SSHHHHHH) but you smokers know how that goes. I am hoping that a higher fitness level halps me here too. BUT, I attended school 3 years ago to be a Personal Trainer and did not manage to quit then either, but cig. usage was down as I was in the right environment and not working. We'll see what happens.. Thanks

Tony

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my secrets to happiness, along with marrying wisely, getting a good education, seeking out a great career path, enjoying worthwhile hobbies, and raising good kids, is aerobic commuting. Bicycling, jogging, or walking has always been an important part of my workday commute since I graduated from high school in 1968.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to a friend about how I'm not riding as much as I used to. His advise: Get a new bike, nothing will make you want to ride more than a new bike. Your on the right track with your new bike on the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a break. My wife wrote 10 books while working full time, raising two kids and making time for me to ride alone AND the two of us to ride together at a slower pace.
    I don't mean to be unsympathetic (I'm NOT unsympathetic, really), but all of us except those lucky enough to have retired before they died have conflicts that interfere with our riding. The big eye-opener for me was when I was complaining to a friend and he said, "How much TV do you watch?" I'm not a big television fan, but I figured it out and realized I was doing 90 minutes or so a night, plus an NFL game or two on weekends.
    This time of year it's light until nearly 8 p.m. where I live. If you get home at four, that's a lot of time. One thing that often works for me is to go IMMEDIATELY when I get home: Don't sit down "just for a minute," don't turn on the TV--get a drink of water, change clothes and get on the bike. If you only do half an hour, that's half an hour more than you're doing now. usually I feel pretty good five minutes out the door and manage to get in an hour or so (winters are much tougher--then it's dark and 17 degrees when I get home). And buy my wife's books for your kids: www.phantomstallion.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    Give me a break. My wife wrote 10 books while working full time, raising two kids and making time for me to ride alone AND the two of us to ride together at a slower pace.
    I don't mean to be unsympathetic (I'm NOT unsympathetic, really), but all of us except those lucky enough to have retired before they died have conflicts that interfere with our riding. The big eye-opener for me was when I was complaining to a friend and he said, "How much TV do you watch?" I'm not a big television fan, but I figured it out and realized I was doing 90 minutes or so a night, plus an NFL game or two on weekends. This time of year it's light until nearly 8 p.m. where I live. If you get home at four, that's a lot of time. One thing that often works for me is to go IMMEDIATELY when I get home: Don't sit down "just for a minute," don't turn on the TV--get a drink of water, change clothes and get on the bike. If you only do half an hour, that's half an hour more than you're doing now. usually I feel pretty good five minutes out the door and manage to get in an hour or so (winters are much tougher--then it's dark and 17 degrees when I get home). And buy my wife's books for your kids: www.phantomstallion.com
    Soapbox in place: Get rid of your TV.

I did that 34 years ago; I've never regretted it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride after work, you'll feel a lot better about everything the rest of the evening and all day next day if you do. Just get on it and ride. I work all day everyday too. It's Wednesday night and I've ridden three nights so far this week. It's FUN man, getting on the bike for a nice ride in the evening is not hard to do, it's hard not to do.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Start simple. Take it out for a ride on weekends. Try short rides some weeknights after getting home.

Hopefully you will find it a stress reliever. The exercise is also different from what you get in the day and may in fact make you start to feel better after a few weeks.

all the while you will slowly be building bicycle fitness which will allow more agressive rides. Mostly have fun. Ride around and look at things, feel the spring weather. The bicycle will become a mini vacation every day.

good luck and good riding.
    I agree with with maddmaxx's post. This is more or less how my riding has developed.

By the way, good choice on the bike! I just got a Fuji Newest a couple of months ago, and I really like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast