wheelio
    My Bikes
    trek madone,santa cruz blur, curtlo cyclocross touring, spot singlespeed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

post prostate cancer riders

Im having robotic surgery to romove my prostate next week,just wondering if there are any PC survivors out there ? How long before you were back on your bike? I know all cases are different just trying to get a general idea of time off the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this thread:

Anyone Have A Prostate Needle Biopsy?

I think that everyone is different on the time needed for recovery. The variation is very large. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bike experience, but a friend was back on his cutting horse in I think three months. He runs a kind of dude ranch/wild west show/cattle operation in Virginia City, and he recovered completely in six months or so. As the other post said, though, lots of variation.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know 2 guys that had it and both are fine now. I just got done with colon cancer, and they have come a long way. I hate going back every year for the test, but if I want to live it's got to be done. Anyhow good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine, George
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelio
    How long before you were back on your bike? I know all cases are different just trying to get a general idea of time off the bike.
    6 weeks before I sat on the saddle and I got off it pretty quick. That hurt but 2 weeks later with a new ergonomic saddle with the pelvic cutaway and I did a 30 miler offroad. Most of the hills were done standing and I took the weight off the saddle downhills and I think in fact that this time was when I learnt that I could do most of a ride out of the saddle.

Good luck but look out for buying a new saddle on a frequent basis till it settles down. Mine took at least 18 months. By the way- Now 6 years on and announced clear pf Pc last year.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheelio,

This is an email I sent to another BF member on February 19, 2007.

My experience is as follows:
    My family Doctor referred me to a Urologist in April, 2006. The Urologist, who was to be my surgeon later, confirmed with a biopsy on June, 29, 2006. I was a Gleason Scale 8 and the cancer was confined to the prostate. I then had a full body bone scan and a MRI to look for signs of metastasis... results were negative. After further consultation with my Brother (a prostate cancer survivor), my Doctors and a Radiation Oncologist, I decided to have a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy and was admitted on October,1 2006.

I had some complications, possibly due to my age (61) and the newness of the procedure and equipment at that hospital. The procedure was supposed to take 5 hours but it took 10. This is not a complaint... It's just the way things worked out for me. I had a fever due to an infection of the drain in my abdomen and some bleeding which was probably caused by my being more receptive to the effects of an anti inflammatory than expected. My blood/oxygen saturation was not up to the desired level. As a result, I was in the hospital for 5 days instead of the normal 1-3 for this procedure.

When I was discharged, I was not allowed to lift more than 4 pounds for the first two weeks. I was allowed to drive and after a couple of days, was making short trips to the store and the mailbox. By the end of the first week, I was walking (very slowly) up to a mile a day. I still had a catheter installed at this time.

Two weeks and 2 days after the surgery, I had the catheter removed and at that time I asked the Doctor when I could begin to get some real exercise, as in gym workouts. He said I could do as much as I felt was prudent but warned me that incontinence would be the limiting factor. The next two weeks was the most trying time so far. The best I can say about it was that things got noticeably better each day but it was still an ordeal I would not want to repeat. It may not be the same for you but be aware that it might.

After the two weeks was up... now it's 4 weeks post surgery... I began some light workouts at the gym. As is my tendency, I over worked myself the first day and had to cut back on the level of effort in order to keep relatively pain free and still make some progress. I was working out twice a week, with 2 days off between workouts. a typical workout was: 15 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical, a reduced weight lifting routine (3 or 4 exercises at 60% of the pre surgery effort and weight), then 15 more minutes on the treadmill etc. I continued at this reduced level until about the first of December and then tried a 20 minute stint on a recumbent stationary bike. Not a good idea. I had significant pain at four of the seven incision sites much, too soon for the abdominal muscles. I took a week off and then went back to the gym workouts as before.

By the end of December, I felt I was ready to ride a real bike. I put on a soft, cushy saddle and hit the road. Pre-surgery, I was riding five times a week... four rides of 15-20 miles and 1 ride of 30-45 miles at an average speed of 15 mph. My first ride after the surgery was 3 miles... a flat out and back at 9 mph. It was plenty for me at that time. Since then, weather permitting, I have been getting out 2 to 3 times a week and ride 12 to 18 miles at 12 mph. I stop and rest my butt every 3 miles for 1-2 minutes. Improvement has been slow but steady and I feel I could ride more if the weather was better. My current goals are a metric century on April 29th and a 40 miler (a Livestrong ride) on September. I feel I will be able to make both of these rides... the biggest obstacle will be losing the weight I have managed to find in front of the TV during my convalescence.

To sum up:
    Go slow. Listen to the Doc. Recognize that there will be minor setbacks. Remind yourself that it is easier today than it was yesterday. Try not to get too impatient... folks who have been here before tell me that it will take 9 months to a year to get back to where I was before the surgery.

Since February, there have been further developments.

On March 4th, I went for a 22 mile ride on my road bike (high pressure tires, stiff ride, hard Brooks Pro saddle). I experienced some numbness and soreness of the perineum and took 2 days off from bike riding. On the 6th, I took another 22 mile ride... more soreness and passed some blood. Four hours later I was in the ER with a urinary blockage. I had to have a catheter installed and after a couple of weeks, My Doctor determined that the cause was scar tissue at the site of the surgery and that the bike ride was an additional irritant but not causal. He advised not being so aggressive with the biking, using a softer saddle and using a more upright riding position to put less pressure on the perineum. After a month, I felt I was ready to try the bike again and have been riding my Single Speed MTB. It has soft tires, a soft (Serfas RX) saddle and an upright riding position. I started with an easy 8 mile ride and have worked my way up to 15 miles, as of this week. I stop and rest (off the bike) every three to five miles, for a couple of minutes. So far, all is well and I think I can make my goal of completing the 40 miler in September... the Metric Century this weekend has been scrubbed.

On a positive note, my PSA level remains at zero and my Doctor is quite pleased with that aspect.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. As you know, my experience will probably not be the same as yours. Just go slow when you get back on the bike and keep your Docs informed of your progress. If you want to discuss this further via PM or email, don't hesitate to get in touch
    Last edited by Dogbait; 04-28-07 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be a 4 year Gleason 8 survivor as of May 1, this year. Mine was done the old fashioned way and I couldn't ride a regular bike for 12 weeks. I was allowed to ride recumbents at 6 weeks.
    Dennis T

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelio
    Im having robotic surgery to romove my prostate next week,just wondering if there are any PC survivors out there ? How long before you were back on your bike? I know all cases are different just trying to get a general idea of time off the bike.
    One thing I forgot to mention is that while you are off the bike- You will need to get exercise in. Just walking initially but work it up to a fast pace to get the calves calling. Calling? don't get then to the state that they are screaming as that is the danger time for pulled muscles and that will not help exercise for a few days.
    Other exercises - Rake the lawn- dig over the flowerbeds- OR as a final resort- do the hoovering inside the house.

If you can get down to a gym for a couple of sessions a week- then so much the better. They do have other machines that will exercise without sitting on a saddle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a similar post to yours last February. The responses that I received were very helpful in obtaining a better understanding of the recovery process. Thanks to all!

I had the robotic surgery on March 12th of this year. Dr. Turck and his terrific team at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA completed the surgery. Interestingly, Dr. Turck was a decathlon alternate on the 1980 East German Olympic team and is now a world-renowned surgeon.

My surgery ended sometime between 5PM and 6PM and I was wide-awake and relatively pain free a few hours later. I was up and walking the next morning and was released from the hospital before noon. This doctor is a great believer in exercise and his recovery orders included two walks of 20 minutes duration each beginning the following day. He also gave me the green light to begin exercising, as long I was comfortable. Gym work was allowable as long as I did not do any violent twisting and did not lift more than 50 lbs. at a time. I actually went to the gym with the catheter attached to my leg. I was able to get rid of the catheter seven days after the surgery.

Since then, I have done lots of walking; used an elliptical trainer; lifted weights and have recently begun to swim. Standing for too long a period appears to cause more discomfort than exercising. As the other posters noted, you need to pay attention to your own body and try to accurately read the signals. I have probably overdone the exercise a time or two, but taking a day or two off seems to bring things back into balance. I suggest that you avoid stretching those muscles around the groin area, as that seems to cause some discomfort as well.

Although Dr. Turck is a great advocate of exercise during the healing process, he was quite clear in his recommendation that I delay getting back on the bike for 8-10 weeks after the surgery. Frankly, I have not been driven to ride at this point because of the tenderness that I have experienced in the sitting area. I plan to give it a go in another month or so.

The hospital performed my first PSA test after the surgery and the results indicated that I am now cancer free. I hope that you experience the same result. Best wishes and feel free to contact me directly if you have further questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sallison
    Although Dr. Turck is a great advocate of exercise during the healing process, he was quite clear in his recommendation that I delay getting back on the bike for 8-10 weeks after the surgery. Frankly, I have not been driven to ride at this point because of the tenderness that I have experienced in the sitting area. I plan to give it a go in another month or so.
    I think most doctors recommend that you stay off the bike for 5 weeks. My doctor said thst I could do anything after 3 weeks. I was kind of surprised when he said that but I followed his advice. So, I started riding again after 3 weeks. Now, at 12 weeks, I'm riding as much as I did before the operation. I haven't done a century, but 50 mile rides don't seem to bother me. I feel that the riding has helped me avoid some of the side effects of the operation by keeping my muscles in shape.