Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom, you asked to see pics of the Coda

So here they are. This is my '07 Coda Elite. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've raised the angle on the stem, changed the bars, put on SPD pedals, added the bar ends in the unusual spot, taped them, changed out the suspension seat post for a carbon one and put on a B-17.

This is the bike in riding trim, without water it weighs 28 1/2 pounds. It seems to me to be a nice ride, it fits me well and is comfortable with the steel frame and carbon fork. It is by far the nicest bicycle I have ever owned. The biggest problem I have now is finding enough time to ride it as much as I would like to. I don't like getting off of it a bit.

This is the view from my usual spot.

A little closer view of the bar-end and the Terrierman special 3 watt luxeon LED mini-mag custom mount.

And from the back of the bike. I do like those B-17 saddles. They are comfortable for me from day one.

It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike. I love the color and this is from someone who owns black or grey bikes
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good show Terrierman, I know I guy that has one of those, and he loves it. Have fun riding and I know you will.
    George

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo.. that's a pretty one, innit? I spotted that B-17 straightaway, I'm thinking of getting one for the Reno. Interesting, where you have the bar ends... they "usually" go outside of the grips. What does that placement offer you? I've thought of getting ends for my Fisher. Those BB-5's or 7's?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those bar ends look comfortable, I'm surprised more riders don't mount them that way.

As a fellow MacGyver, I love that flashlight holder.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Those bar ends look comfortable, I'm surprised more riders don't mount them that way.

As a fellow MacGyver, I love that flashlight holder.
    Ever tried fighting up a rocky uphill 20% er with your hands close together?

Fine for just a more aerodynamic road position but most bar ends are fitted to MTB's and the Maximum control is required on these thigs. Still, a good position for a road staright bar bike- but something longer might be nbetter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Thanks Beverly, I like the color too. I think I've gone over the OCP edge, my shoes match the cream color on the bike. And did you notice my water bottle matches too? But I swear I had them both before I bought the bike.

2. Thanks George, you know how I started looking at Coda's in the first place.

3. RE: The bar ends. They are there to give another comfortable place for my hands when I'm just cruising around. I tried them first in the usual spot and it was just too wide for me to use them much, so I thought why not try moving them in. I did and I liked it. They're taped because to avoid an interference with the shifter, I had to put them on backwards and upside down with the hardware on top and the hardware was just a little irritating to my hands as I don't wear gloves. Now that I've tried the tape on them, I don't think I'd ever have them without tape. I've had them there long enough now to know that I really do like them and they will be staying. As Stepfam rightly points out, it's not like I struggle up many 20% rocky hills with that bike.

4. Sorry SKT, I don't understand the question regarding BB5 or BB7? And I would say both your butt and the Reno deserve a nice Brooks saddle, I think they are attractive as well as very comfortable. Thanks for the kind words.

5. Louis, simple is good isn't it? Thanks.

My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice looking bike. I was looking for this type of bike, but ended up with Kona Dew Deluxe, similar in appearance, but aluminum frame/steel fork. It is, however, blue... which is the most important thing!
    I tried bar ends mounted in the inner position like yours... although I love having the optional hand position, whether I mounted them properly or reversed, as yours are, they interfered with the shifter, unless i moved the combi brake/shifter pod further toward the stem, and then braking became awkward. Currently, I have the bar ends on the end, although they are a bit wide... maybe i will cut down the bar.

I also am running a brooks saddle-- 34 year old b-17...that saddle has been under me everywhere!

Enjoy you bike...

Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Ever tried fighting up a rocky uphill 20% er with your hands close together?

Fine for just a more aerodynamic road position but most bar ends are fitted to MTB's and the Maximum control is required on these thigs. Still, a good position for a road staright bar bike- but something longer might be nbetter.
    Yup, true...I was seeing it from a roadie's perspective. It's in my blood, I guess.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SKT was referring to your brakes. They are Avid BB-5.

It looks nice. The Brooks saddle looks nice on it.

The position of the bar "ends" looks intriguing. That may work out well. I use mine when just cruising, for another hand position.

Overall it looks like a very good quality, comfortable, multi-purpose bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In casually looking over bikes, not being in a hurry to buy anything as I'm not sure I need anything that I don't already have covered, the Jamis Coda Elite strikes me as one of the bikes that is closest to what I would want in a bike.

- With a steel frame the ride would probably be nice.
    - The carbon fork would help to hold the weight down to a reasonable number
    - It comes in my size (17.5") and has 170mm cranks at that size.
    - It has some standard options that I would otherwise have to purchase, like an adjustable stem and suspension seat post.
    - The geometry looks right.
    - It has mountain bike gearing on the rear cassette and a triple crank.
    - The standard 700x28 tires might be rugged enough for a limestone trail.

I'd still have to do some mods, like replacing the flat bar with a riser bar, and ditching the Crank Brothers pedals for platforms. Perhaps a LBS would give me a little credit if I made that swap.

Or maybe the Coda Comp would be a closer match. Most of the upgrades from the Coda to the Elite wouldn't do much for me.

It is still a bit on the heavy side at 25 pounds. That's not a big issue for me.

How is the bike working out for you.

ATL
    My Bikes
    some old Gary Fisher Aquila frame with very high handlebars for commuting luxury -- but currently out of commission
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beautiful

Beautiful bike and setup. I'm interested in this bike, too - and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. I recently recovered from an impulse purchase of a cannondale bad boy ultra, which helped me be more careful about considering what I wanted in a new commuter/general use bike.

I really like that leather saddle, btw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, I've got about 300 miles on Kermit now. Yes, the bike has a name. It's a nice shade of frog green, and Kermit is a name with a solid and honorable history in Jack Russells. Farmcliff Kermit started it. He was a National Racing Champion, he sired Wild Goose Kerm, another fine racing dog who in turn was sire to the dog Bucky in my avatar who also has been a very good racing dog so there it is.

It is hard for me to imagine being much happier with the bike. You know how I changed it around a bit, it's in final configuration now as posted above. It's a very comfortable bike to ride and to me, the components seem to work very nicely together, it is a very smooth ride.

I considered the Coda Comp too, but as I am a big guy (6'1", 250) I could not get past the low spoke count wheels. You also lose the disc brakes by going to the Comp, which is not that big of a deal, some would say an improvement. The frames are made from different tubing which I wondered about. I presume the tubing is a better grade on the Elite. The one thing you need to be aware of is while the Jamis blurbs say the bike has plenty of fender and rack mounts for full accessorizing (fred to the core we are) in reality it has none. I wound up making some leather straps to hang my rain coat off the back of the B-17. I like that solution better than the rack I had anyway so no problem, but if you want to add fenders...

The Coda's are nice bikes. I say ride one and if you like it, then buy it!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear racks without Eyelets- I use a seat post mounted rack on the Tandem and it works for up to about 5Kgs offroad. Good way of mounting a rear top Bag if you want to carry more than a few tools and a waterproof.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a stem extension coming and it will push the handlebars out some, but not up. I'll post a picture.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I considered the Coda Comp too, but as I am a big guy (6'1", 250) I could not get past the low spoke count wheels. You also lose the disc brakes by going to the Comp, which is not that big of a deal, some would say an improvement. The frames are made from different tubing which I wondered about. I presume the tubing is a better grade on the Elite.
    Yes, Reynolds 631 tubing allows you to build a stronger, lighter bike than the 520 tubing found on the Coda Comp.

Although Jamis does play games with their frame descriptions. They don't use the 631 tubes for the entire frame. They use hi-tensile steel on the seat and chain stays, the head tube, and maybe the seat tube too - I can't get a straight answer on this. They use 520 or 631 on the top tube and down tube (and maybe the seat tube). In the USA and Canada they do not have to divulge this in their advertising, but they do have to in certain other countries. So if you read a description of the Coda Elite in the USA, it will reference their 631 cro-mo frame. But if you read one in Japan, it will say the frame uses 631 cro-mo in its main tubes.

Here's an example:
    http://www.01bike.com/crossbike/jami...oda_elite.html

Jamis is not alone in this practice, a number of other manufacturers do the same thing.

Of course, the important thing is the ride itself, so if one loves the ride & the stays are hi-tensile, no big deal!
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-15-07 at 01:05 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top tube on the newer bikes is part carbon fiber, ( the middle part). That's why I went with the 2005 model. On the new bikes they used BB5 brakes, the older models used BB7, the forks are diferent as well. As far as I know, or care, they are both nice bikes, and compared to a lot of other bikes, you get a lot for your money.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Terrierman, I just called the factory and the dealer and they said that both bikes were all steel. The top tube is a different gage in the center, but I just told the dealer he should try the truth, it's easier. Anyhow enjoy the bike. I went down going 25 mph and nothing happened to the bike. I did find out the frames are made in the same place as the Ranndona and the LHT. Enjoy.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Hey Terrierman, I just called the factory and the dealer and they said that both bikes were all steel. The top tube is a different gage in the center, but I just told the dealer he should try the truth, it's easier. Anyhow enjoy the bike. I went down going 25 mph and nothing happened to the bike. I did find out the frames are made in the same place as the Ranndona and the LHT. Enjoy.
    I think it's just the Coda Supreme that has carbon bits in the frame. Next time you go down, do like I do and have it at zero mph, easier on man and machine. I am definitely enjoying the bike, was able to get out last night for a couple of hours, and will again tonight if it is not storming too bad.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have over a 1000 miles on the bike already. The trekking bars are great, but I have to move them out with a longer stem. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and still don't have it. They must work through Gary's bike shop out in Cal. Hopefully I wont have to deal with them to much after this. I would still like to get a road bike, but I'm just kind of looking now. I really like the looks of Gary's, but I'm leaning towards steel. I just can't believe the ride in this bike. Anyhow take care, and ride safe.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Hey Terrierman, I just called the factory and the dealer and they said that both bikes were all steel.
    Everything I've seen says they are all steel (except for the carbon fork) but not all the same type of steel. Did anyone you spoke to address that? It would be interesting to see how informed/truthful they were, because there are parts of the frame that are definitely not made of 631 cro-mo. For if they were, then their advertisements in Japan and certain European countries would state that they were 100% cro-mo frames.

There have been admissions by Jamis company reps in the past that they use hi-tensile steel in the frame, but I don't know if they are always upfront about admitting this. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their USA dealers don't know this.

But that's a technicality. As I wrote before, the real issue is the ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have both of you kept the Crank Brothers pedals? If so, how are they working out for you?

In my survey of a couple hundred posts on clipless pedals, the "eggbeaters" had the highest overall satisfaction scores, significantly better than SPD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    So have both of you kept the Crank Brothers pedals? If so, how are they working out for you?

In my survey of a couple hundred posts on clipless pedals, the "eggbeaters" had the highest overall satisfaction scores, significantly better than SPD.
    I'm using SPD's because Stepfam says they are the best.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got Crank eggbeaters standard on the bike and then swapped them out???

Did you try them out first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast