Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Brooks believer

Yep I'm convinced I believe my Brooks B-17 is a winner. I have about 150 miles on it now and its more comfortable all the time. I'd bet by the end of the summer its gonna have my butt imprint on it
    Last edited by stringbreaker; 04-27-07 at 11:09 PM. Reason: remove post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker
    Yep I'm convinced I believe my Brooks B-17 is a winner. I have about 150 miles on it now and its more comfortable all the time. I'd bet by the end of the summer its gonna have my butt imprint on it
    Be sure to post pics!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker
    I have Brooks on all three of my bikes and can't believe how comfortable they are. The best ever!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 34 year old B-17N and a 1 year old B-17 on two bikes. I recently built and ridden a touring/road bike as a full commuter w/o a Brooks. On Fridays I ride my SS w/Brooks and my butt thanks me!
    I'm trying to buy a Brooks equipped off of craigslist and resell with another saddle just to upgrade on the cheap. Brooks is the best return per extra lb you can put on a bike.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reason they have been around for so long. Mine was perfect out of the box also.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with the Brooks saddles a person has to learn how to sit on the bike. I found out really quickly that I needed to adjust my riding position to put the weight on my sit bones and not my butt cheeks if that makes sense also a bit more weight forward to the handlebars seems to have helped too. I guess its getting your riding form tuned that will make these saddles feel better. Not that I haven't had a few thoughts of how hard this thing is but when I started adjusting my riding position it seemed to start coming around. I have a Raleigh Cadent series bike and granted its new but a Brooks on a Raleigh just goes together.

My Bikes
    Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key to comfort on a Brooks saddle is how your weight is distributed over it. And the key to that is saddle tilt. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the 'sweet spot', but by fiddling with the nose up/down
    and a little left or right, depending on how you 'dress', you can find saddle bliss in short order. It will probably take less that 50 miles to find the perfect arrangement for you.

My 'sweet spot'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm patiently waiting for mine to get comfy. After ~300 miles it's tolerable but not great. Maybe I'll try a slight tilt like Davet's photo.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davet
    The key to comfort on a Brooks saddle is how your weight is distributed over it. And the key to that is saddle tilt. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the 'sweet spot', but by fiddling with the nose up/down
    and a little left or right, depending on how you 'dress', you can find saddle bliss in short order. It will probably take less that 50 miles to find the perfect arrangement for you.

My 'sweet spot'!

Beautiful looking setup. Love the colors. I am saving my pennies to get that saddle, which prompts me to ask about the bar wrap. What is that? A bronze sheath? Leather? Cork? Its a perfect match visually.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two bikes with Brooks and two without, I don't ride the two without very often and when I do I wish I could afford more Brooks saddles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treks, 79-710, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that having a slightly higher nose angle, similar to Davet's, was the "sweet spot" for me with the B-17, too. For many other saddles, that's not the case. I sometimes wonder how many people that aren't happy with Brooks saddles never try this position because it doesn't "look" right.

Never have had any numbness issues, even with the nose a little high.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longstanding forum members know how I feel about Brooks saddles.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too!

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks B17N black on sale at Nashbar. After commuting two days on another (free) saddle - only 36 miles total has convinced me to spend the cash.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost no one ever comments on the Brooks w/springs. How is the ride on those as compared to the standard springless Brooks?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Almost no one ever comments on the Brooks w/springs. How is the ride on those as compared to the standard springless Brooks?
    It's springier.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I like them.

(L to R, honey colored pebble grain B-67 on Schwinn Transit hybrid/tour with a couple of thousand miles, honey colored Champion Flyer on Trek 520, black Champion Flyer on Fuji Absolute road bike)
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All seriousness aside, the sprung Brooks saddles are great on bikes where you are sitting upright enough to make the springing come into play. They don't really do much on a normal road bike.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that. When I played around with the B67 in a store, the springs seemed very tight.

I suppose the user's experience would vary greatly between a 150 pound road biker vs a 250 pound hybrid biker.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that. When I played around with the B67 in a store, the springs seemed very tight.

I suppose the user's experience would vary greatly between a 150 pound road biker vs a 250 pound hybrid biker.
    The experience can vary quite a bit, in fact. Heavier riders will get more benefit from a sprung Brooks than lighter one. The springs are pretty stiff, but they do the job, with the leather taking up the rest of the load. Because of a very severe back problem, I actually replaced the springs on one of my B67's with those off a Huffy comfort saddle. An excellent move. Spring steel is pretty much a done-deal, as far as manufacturing is concerned - cheap ones are as good as expensive ones.

Another B67 got the thinner springs off an old B73 I have. Another good move.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Brooks too.

It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown
    Brooks B17N black on sale at Nashbar. After commuting two days on another (free) saddle - only 36 miles total has convinced me to spend the cash.
    I have a B17N and a B17 standard. I really prefer the standard. Unless you have a really narrow butt, you may be better served with a standard width B17.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm convinced, ordered a B17 from Nashbar today to replace the saddle that came stock on my '84 Univega Speciallisama touring bike. I have started riding again and need ro rid myself of numb nuts and sore but bones. Then I'm going to work on the pain in the lower back. I'm 63, 5'9", and weigh 180 and need to get into better shape.
    Last edited by boston blackie; 04-30-07 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite an interesting article I found when I was snooping around on Craztguyonabike. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...oc_id=2432&v=Z