Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cheap bike tyre question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cheap bike tyre question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap bike tyre question

A real cheap bike......

$140; I needed something to ride with the kids (and to places my road bike won't go) but wasn't ready for a 'proper' MTB. In fact. it's better than I expected - simple steel frame, quill stem, Shimano mechs, SRAM shifters. The money's been saved on the fork (let's not go there) and the tyres - almost childishly knobbly and plastic.

I quite like this clunker, and (London being the bike theft capital of Europe now) it's also cheap enough to ride to work. I do really need some street slick tyres though.

The horrible tyres are marked 26x1.95 (150-559) which seems a common enough size. There are no markings on the rims.

Question from a relative newbie. Is it likely that I can fit slicks - all of which seem to thinner than the off road ones, to the rims? I know that most rims have a minimum tyre width - but how could I know? Don't incidentally suggest that I ask the vendor. Drug addled, minimum wage worker ants, there.

Oh and I want cheap - otherwise I might have been better off buying a proper bike in the first place.
Old 04-28-07, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like the knobbies I had on my MTB were size 1.95 with maximum pressure of 50 psi. Since I enjoyed the road better than the alternative, I installed some size 1.50 road tires on the same wheels. The maximum pressure on the size 1.50 tires is 80 psi. It made a big difference. Can't comment on price as it's been a while since I made the switch. There should be tires of that size at different prices. Perhaps you could try Wally World (Asda in the U.K.?) Good luck.
Old 04-28-07, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeh, my gut reaction is that a well inflated 1.50 would be OK - but I'm just guessing...I mean, there must be minimum width below which the bead will work loose. I'd rather not find out.

Asda's interesting. A well run, popular food&household UK retail operation swallowed by Wal-Mart. Curiously, it hasn't been a very fruitful marriage, yet.. This is because the Britain is largely run by Tesco, a store chain straight out of George Orwell. They do sell tyres - Asda don't.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-28-07, 06:50 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Near the bottom of the page is a sizing chart.

I would guess you could go as low as 26x1.25" (559-32mm) without problem. Finding a skinnier tube will be a bit more difficult.
I put 1.50's on my 20mm wide rim and they look like they belong there! Your current tube would probably be "usable" with that size.
Old 04-28-07, 11:25 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...othie-Tire.htm

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425
Old 04-28-07, 11:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know about a minimum Tyre size but I run 26x1.95's normally. Have gone up to 2.1's. Have gone down to 1.0 slicks on the same rims so I don't really think that for leisure or recreational riding you will have to worry. A good cheap tyre for road use as a slick is the Schwalbe Marathons. I use 1.4's on the tandem. but tyre size on these WIDE rims will go from 2.3 down to 1.3 slicks and that is a performance bike that takes a lot of punishment.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-29-07, 04:03 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might want to consider the wheel you have on the bike though before going too narrow. Some of these bikes come with very wide steel rims. Trying to put a 26 x 1 tire on there might cause the tube to push the skinnier tire off the rim. The safe bet would be a 1.50 width slick, which you could maybe use the original tubes with.
Old 04-29-07, 04:10 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Just search for sales. Some things I don't want cheap. Like tires, helmets, chamois'. Since flats ruin my ride, I'd go for the sales; when you can get a decent tire with flat protection , for not that much more. Stock up on the sales.