Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cell H***, It Had To Happen.........

Today I was riding my new Coda, which I bought to replace the mtn. bike I gave away some time ago, along a riverfront bike path that I hadn't ridden in several years.

The evening was beautiful and there were walkers and joggers everywhere. The park has been expanded by several miles of trails and it was like falling in love all over again.

Out of the sun, and the bugs, she came towards me. Mostly in pink and riding a hybrid. Spinning along, looking as happy as everyone else....talking on a bloody cell phone.....

We are doomed.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was she over 49?

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was she cute? Good looks can forgive many things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very disappointing but, I guess, not very surprising. Ya just can't get away... dang
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are indeed doomed. My wife tried talking on the cell phone while we were riding together on our tandem. I stopped the bike and told her that I was willing to wait until she finished her call but I wasn't willing to pedal the bike while she chattered on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say she was in her fifties, about five feet tall and about two hundred pounds. Probably a nice lady, but I went there to get away from things like that. Cute is a relative term. I think I'm cute, but most girls half my age don't think so.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have operations going on I expect (or demand) a call and report from our foreman before the end of the work day. So if I go riding in mid-afternoon I put the cell phone in my jersey, set it to vibrate, and go. I'll slow down or stop as needed. Quite often in the hills around here I get the buzz that he called, but then have to stop on a hill and call him back. Also, my honey will often call to ask what time I'm coming home. Nothing strange at all about using a cell phone while riding, IMHO.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not blonde, 5ft tall nor 200 pounds but I'll fess up. I'll answer my phone and even read my blackberry while riding......However, I DON'T do it in a group, organized rides or on steep hills where both hands are needed. I will do it if I'm out on rural roads by myself and recognize the caller. I also don't respond to email messages while riding-I haven't quite acquired that skill just yet.

I'm not sure a customer wants to hear me breathing hard and the wind blowing across the microphone on the blackberry!! When you have 3 kids all driving age you never know when you're going to get that phone call about being in a wreck so I'm sensitive about hearing from them.......

The difference between the blonde and me is that I would not do it on a MUP where there are others riding.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was cruising my usual course a few weeks ago and saw a rider ahead, full kit moving at about 20-21mph. I thought I would give chase, I went after him and as I got closer I notcied he had a very nice Cervelo bike and was about 6' 130lbs strong looking biker. I was catching him and feeling rather proud of myself until I passed and saw he was chatting away on his cell phone.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    I was cruising my usual course a few weeks ago and saw a rider ahead, full kit moving at about 20-21mph. I thought I would give chase, I went after him and as I got closer I notcied he had a very nice Cervelo bike and was about 6' 130lbs strong looking biker. I was catching him and feeling rather proud of myself until I passed and saw he was chatting away on his cell phone.
    So did you have any problem with that?

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Out of the sun, and the bugs, she came towards me. Mostly in pink and riding a hybrid. Spinning along, looking as happy as everyone else....talking on a bloody cell phone.....

We are doomed.
    Maybe so. Why were her actions your problem? Because she was happy doing her thing?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take calls when I'm biking too. Since the phone rides in the under seat bag, it means I stop to answer it. Safer that way for everyone.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Last summer on a group ride we were climbing a demanding hill (Palmer Park)
    and I was working hard, but not in oxygen deficit, and watched the kid in front
    of me answer the phone. Not a memorable event, but I sure haven't forgotten.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    So did you have any problem with that?
    Nope, I was impressed with his ability to handle his bike at speed with one hand while speaking with someone on the phone. Me, I ride to get away from my cell phone.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take my Treo Smartphone with me, tucked into a jersey pocket. If I hear it I'll stop to answer it. I carry it mostly for emergencies, just twice in two years, and for others, not for myself.

I believe there are safety issues when driving a car and riding a bike while using a cell phone unless it's hands-free. I prefer not to use my cell on my bike at all, not only for the safety factor, but also because my ride is more enjoyable. I'll take talking to the person bike next to me over talking on a phone anyday.

Usually I don't have a problem with cyclists who ride & use their cells unless they become a danger to me. I try to avoid them as a safety precaution.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of work, and emergencies, I too carry a cell phone. That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Maybe I'm just old, but I just assume everyone is out there to get away from distractions like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Because of work, and emergencies, I too carry a cell phone. That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Maybe I'm just old, but I just assume everyone is out there to get away from distractions like that.
    You should try the ride our group did last year. It was so far out in the Ozarks that there are no cell towers, no cell signals, no cell anything. When you reach an area like that, you know you're where you want (need) to be.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each to his own. I operate my laptop computer from my bike if I'm not going over 25 mph. i once almost knocked over a squirel but otherwise I think it's pretty safe.

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I take calls when I'm biking too. Since the phone rides in the under seat bag, it means I stop to answer it. Safer that way for everyone.
    I have seen about 10 people this year on bike trails talking on cell phones... while riding. I think your strategy is a lot safer....

Besides that, is there anything sacred any more? Has multi-tasking consumed all human activity?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerv
    I have seen about 10 people this year on bike trails talking on cell phones... while riding. I think your strategy is a lot safer....

Besides that, is there anything sacred any more? Has multi-tasking consumed all human activity?
    I'll answer that as soon as I finish this email I'm working on. Ooops -- I'm getting a beep about that tune I'm downloading. Let me get that as soon as I take this call on the other line. You don't mind, do you?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Given the damage people are capable of doing, talking on a cell phone is pretty benign. I'm pretty sure the previous generation thought ours (mine) (we) was going straight to hell but here we are.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Given the damage people are capable of doing, talking on a cell phone is pretty benign. I'm pretty sure the previous generation thought ours (mine) (we) was going straight to hell but here we are.
    hey, there's still time...

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple years ago my wife and I were on a nude beach (don't ask) and this guy walks past, totally naked, talking financial stuff on his cell phone. I doubt the person on the other end had any idea.