Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Forté Pro SLX Saddle *!#?*&@!%$ (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/292769-forte-pro-slx-saddle.html)

cccorlew 04-29-07 12:44 PM

Forté Pro SLX Saddle *!#?*&@!%$

I just got a Forté Pro SLX Saddle through Performance. Seemed like a good deal. 200 grams, and it fits my buns really well. Happy buyer? NO!
It turns out the raised stiching is rough as all get out. Not so i can feel it, but enough that it destroyed my bibs. It just abraded them to almost nothing in 200 miles.

I'm planning on sending back the saddle, and the Performance Elite Bibs (that I REALLY like) the seat ate and HOPE Performance will replace the bibs and credit the seat.

Does anyone else have a Forté Pro SLX Saddle? Is your Stitching a problem?
I like the saddle except for this deal-breaker flaw.

polara426sh 04-29-07 01:00 PM

I haven't had any problems with the stitching on mine, but I only use it for short distances. After about 20 miles it's really uncomfortable.

stringbreaker 04-29-07 02:20 PM

Brooks , No stitching + smooth leather = no shredding of clothing or skin :)

Straightblock 05-01-07 08:01 PM

I don't care for most saddles with stitching. Puts raised contact points right where you don't want 'em, plus I see it as another step in the NASCAR-ization of bikes, with logos everywhere.

I have a Forte saddle on one of my fixed gear bikes. It's ok for rides up to about 30 miles, but not too comfortable for longer rides. I had tried it on my primary road bike, but on rides of 3+ hours it was miserable. It's still better than the SETTE Race TI from Pricepoint, though. That one has a smooth top, but it's super-flexi even at my weight of 160 lbs.

My local Performance store has been very good with returns. I've returned a saddle I didn't like that I had scratched in a mild crash & got credit, and had a broken Supergo Korso wheel replaced with a Performance Titan-the same wheel with different labels.

roccobike 05-01-07 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Straightblock
I don't care for most saddles with stitching. Puts raised contact points right where you don't want 'em, plus I see it as another step in the NASCAR-ization of bikes, with logos everywhere.

Right, but without highly visible logos how will everyone else know that you paid a ton of money for your equipment?

cccorlew 05-01-07 08:28 PM

UPDATE: I returned it by mail and included the bib shorts it destoyed. I'm hoping they replace the shorts.
I have 2 other, older heavy performance seats I find very comfortable, but with a new light bike i thought a new light seat would be nice.
Oh well....

stringbreaker 05-01-07 09:17 PM

If you sport a Brooks its a forgone conclusion that you dropped more than a couple of bucks on it

oilman_15106 05-02-07 08:57 AM

Ditched my Fitzk Arione over the raised section wearing my shorts. Bling looks, dumb design.

Tom Bombadil 05-02-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew
It turns out the raised stiching is rough as all get out. Not so i can feel it, but enough that it destroyed my bibs. It just abraded them to almost nothing in 200 miles.

I'm sure glad that I wasn't behind you on that day! At least not close behind.

Hard to believe they could wear your clothes away over such a short total distance.

Admit it, you slide and bounce around on your seat a lot! ;)

card 05-02-07 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Brooks , No stitching + smooth leather = no shredding of clothing or skin :)

+1 on Brooks f/touring bike.

On road bike Specialized Alias.:beer:

jppe 05-02-07 09:19 PM

I tried one and noticed the same issue.

I also have a hard "mass" in the muscle over one of my sit bones that I think has been caused by raised stitching. It wasn't caused by the Forte saddle but another brand. I have had all the top doctors review it and they don't think it's serious.........but I'm thinking I might have it removed this winter as I don't like this hard squishy thing moving back and forth while I'm riding......It get really large after a long ride.

old and new 05-02-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew
I just got a Forté Pro SLX Saddle through Performance. Seemed like a good deal. 200 grams, and it fits my buns really well. Happy buyer? NO!

I'm planning on sending back the saddle, and the Performance Elite Bibs (that I REALLY like) the seat ate and HOPE Performance will replace the bibs and credit the seat.

Does anyone else have a Forté Pro SLX Saddle? Is your Stitching a problem?
I like the saddle except for this deal-breaker flaw.

SORRY to hear that,glad that I did,I was considering that saddle,along with other racey cheapos.I hadn't heard of stitching problems on that one,stitching seems to be a problem on a few lesser saddles I've read.

Straightblock 05-03-07 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by roccobike
Right, but without highly visible logos how will everyone else know that you paid a ton of money for your equipment?

Remember, you're talking about a guy who bought Performance & Pricepoint house-brand seats. My last 2 bikes came from thrift stores, too!