Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forté Pro SLX Saddle *!#?*&@!%$

I just got a Forté Pro SLX Saddle through Performance. Seemed like a good deal. 200 grams, and it fits my buns really well. Happy buyer? NO!
    It turns out the raised stiching is rough as all get out. Not so i can feel it, but enough that it destroyed my bibs. It just abraded them to almost nothing in 200 miles.

I'm planning on sending back the saddle, and the Performance Elite Bibs (that I REALLY like) the seat ate and HOPE Performance will replace the bibs and credit the seat.

Does anyone else have a Forté Pro SLX Saddle? Is your Stitching a problem?
    I like the saddle except for this deal-breaker flaw.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Displaced Southerner polara426sh's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems with the stitching on mine, but I only use it for short distances. After about 20 miles it's really uncomfortable.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks , No stitching + smooth leather = no shredding of clothing or skin

My Bikes
    1993 Eddy Merckx Motorola (Phil Anderson), 1988 Eisentraut Rainbow Traut, 1989 Serotta, Nishiki Altron, Olmo Firenze, 1977 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1986 Santana Elan tandem, Univega Gran Premio, Colin Laing track, 1984 Stumpjumper Sport, Trek 420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care for most saddles with stitching. Puts raised contact points right where you don't want 'em, plus I see it as another step in the NASCAR-ization of bikes, with logos everywhere.

I have a Forte saddle on one of my fixed gear bikes. It's ok for rides up to about 30 miles, but not too comfortable for longer rides. I had tried it on my primary road bike, but on rides of 3+ hours it was miserable. It's still better than the SETTE Race TI from Pricepoint, though. That one has a smooth top, but it's super-flexi even at my weight of 160 lbs.

My local Performance store has been very good with returns. I've returned a saddle I didn't like that I had scratched in a mild crash & got credit, and had a broken Supergo Korso wheel replaced with a Performance Titan-the same wheel with different labels.
    Last edited by Straightblock; 05-01-07 at 08:10 PM.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightblock
    I don't care for most saddles with stitching. Puts raised contact points right where you don't want 'em, plus I see it as another step in the NASCAR-ization of bikes, with logos everywhere.
    Right, but without highly visible logos how will everyone else know that you paid a ton of money for your equipment?
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: I returned it by mail and included the bib shorts it destoyed. I'm hoping they replace the shorts.
    I have 2 other, older heavy performance seats I find very comfortable, but with a new light bike i thought a new light seat would be nice.
    Oh well....
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you sport a Brooks its a forgone conclusion that you dropped more than a couple of bucks on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditched my Fitzk Arione over the raised section wearing my shorts. Bling looks, dumb design.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew
    It turns out the raised stiching is rough as all get out. Not so i can feel it, but enough that it destroyed my bibs. It just abraded them to almost nothing in 200 miles.
    I'm sure glad that I wasn't behind you on that day! At least not close behind.

Hard to believe they could wear your clothes away over such a short total distance.

Admit it, you slide and bounce around on your seat a lot!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker
    Brooks , No stitching + smooth leather = no shredding of clothing or skin
    +1 on Brooks f/touring bike.

On road bike Specialized Alias.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried one and noticed the same issue.

I also have a hard "mass" in the muscle over one of my sit bones that I think has been caused by raised stitching. It wasn't caused by the Forte saddle but another brand. I have had all the top doctors review it and they don't think it's serious.........but I'm thinking I might have it removed this winter as I don't like this hard squishy thing moving back and forth while I'm riding......It get really large after a long ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew
    I just got a Forté Pro SLX Saddle through Performance. Seemed like a good deal. 200 grams, and it fits my buns really well. Happy buyer? NO!

I'm planning on sending back the saddle, and the Performance Elite Bibs (that I REALLY like) the seat ate and HOPE Performance will replace the bibs and credit the seat.

Does anyone else have a Forté Pro SLX Saddle? Is your Stitching a problem?
    I like the saddle except for this deal-breaker flaw.
    SORRY to hear that,glad that I did,I was considering that saddle,along with other racey cheapos.I hadn't heard of stitching problems on that one,stitching seems to be a problem on a few lesser saddles I've read.

My Bikes
    1993 Eddy Merckx Motorola (Phil Anderson), 1988 Eisentraut Rainbow Traut, 1989 Serotta, Nishiki Altron, Olmo Firenze, 1977 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1986 Santana Elan tandem, Univega Gran Premio, Colin Laing track, 1984 Stumpjumper Sport, Trek 420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    Right, but without highly visible logos how will everyone else know that you paid a ton of money for your equipment?
    Remember, you're talking about a guy who bought Performance & Pricepoint house-brand seats. My last 2 bikes came from thrift stores, too!