Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been having too much fun

I found an old trek road bike and a sport dlk centurian at a yard sale. I had to buy both because the trek was about the right size but had 27" wheels and the centurian was to small but had the 700 c wheels which I wanted so that I could get the type tires that I wanted. So my next stop is the bike shop/skateboard shop. There are about 7 teenagers in the shop working on skateboards and having a good old time. I ask the owner if I can use his pump to check out the wheels and tires. He said sure have a blast. Little did he know. I had never used any presta valves and this is what was on the wheels. I got the valves opened for filling and then screwed the hose connector onto the valve. I started filling the tire and checked with a just a little air to make sure that the tube was not trying to bulge out. Everything went great with the first tire. Then on the second tire the valve need to be pushed back into the tire and then I started inflating the tire. I looked at the tire at about 30 pounds and everything seemed ok. I checked again at about 60 pounds and still ok. I checked again at 100 pounds and I see a huge bulge. I start trying to get the tire deflated but before I can disconnect the tube blows. All the heads in the shop snap to see what has happened. I start laughing and tell the kids that I didn't even see them jump. It was quite funny to me except that now I ended up buying a tire and tube and then I was on my way.

Now since I am only 54 and have not learned to track stand yet it seems only logical that this is a skill that I need to know. Even though I have not had to have this skill in the last 54 years I know that at any time now it is going to be very important that I be able to track stand. So for the last week I have been attempting to track stand after I finish my ride. Today I set up on my dirt drive way and maybe stand for 2 seconds. I move a little and try a few more with about the same results. Then I try and all of a sudden and I really don't know how the bike is shooting out backward from under me and I am going over the handle bars. As I am in the air I am thinking that this is going to hurt. I land on my forearm and do a tuck and roll type fall with me rolling up into the bushes. My arthritis in my right shoulder is telling me that I am not dead but that it is considering killing me. I get up and I don't even have a scratch but it takes a couple of minutes for the arthritis to let up. I get back on and do about a 4 second track stand and call it a day. I am still not sure how all of this happened but it sure was interesting after the pain went away.

I hope you are all having as much fun as me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the laughs, Jim.

Some time ago, right after my wife and I had a big spat, I beat a fast retreat to my basement workshop to change a set of tires. All went well with the first tire but the second tire exploded like a shotgun blast. Geez it about blew the wax out of my ears. My wife came flying down the steps thinking I had killed myself. Hell, I don't even own a ***, nor would I know which end was which, if I did. She even got a chuckle out of that and the fight was over.

Trackstands? Never tried one but I'm cheering for you.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not a man until you practice doing trackstands clipped in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    My wife came flying down the steps thinking I had killed myself.
    So...tell us...did this lead to M.U.S. ???

If so, please post photos...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    So...tell us...did this lead to M.U.S. ???

If so, please post photos...
    If I had MUS after every li'l spat...there would be nothing left of me but a pulsating ball of protoplasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still to chicken to try clip or clipless pedals. I was on platform pedals. Maybe I can get this trackstand down and then maybe I will be brave enough to clip in but I probably wont do a trackstand after clipping in unless I have to. I was lucky today that I did not even get a scratch. Crashes at zero speed are much better than my crash at about 10 mph where I lost some valuable knee skin.

Things have been fun lately and I am glad to be able to entertain you with my foul ups.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all fun and games 'til somebody gets hurt. Then it's hilarious! Good luck Jim P, you're a better man than I, I'm sticking to putting a foot on the ground when I'm at zero MPH.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to learn to trackstand in traffic, but sunday Tried it on theTandem with a new stoker. Nearly worked but have to admit that I was just inching forward at a snails pace for about 15 seconds till the lights changed. Then I found out that the NEW stoker had his foot down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh now that sounds like a plan. Get the stroker to put a foot down and not tell you. I am thinking about getting the training wheels back out. If I can only remember where I put them 50 years ago. I had a little more fun today when I saw that my new tire had a good cut in the sidewall. I guess that one of the sharp rocks in the drive way got it. I got my wife to pick up two new but cheaper tires today and if she ever gets home with them I will attempt to get them on and aired up hopefully with no more explosions.

life is good.

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Will I be a man if I do trackstands clipped in?

--Not that I can track stand, but I am a woman, and always wondered how being a man would feel. I already know how feeling a man would be. . .
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    For how long?