User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a decent moutain bike?

I'm in the process of buying a mountain bike to use on some soon-to-open dirt trails in the area. I've been watching the local Craigslist and found this one:
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/bik/320506305.html

In case the link doesn't work this is a Specialized Hardrock, 21 speed MRX gripshift in excellent condition.

I'm not familiar with mountain bike sizing. This one is an 18" and appears to have the relaxed geometry frame. I have a 54cm relaxed geometry road bike and a 51cm standard geometry road bike. Does the 18" sound like it might fit? The Specialized website says it has a 29" stand-over and I have a 31" inch inseam. What is the suggested clearance for stand-over on mountain bikes?

Is $148 a good price for this style bike?
    Last edited by Beverly; 05-01-07 at 11:44 AM.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've learned while looking for a bike for my wife, a MTB frame should come in about 10cm under a roadie. For example, my LeMond is a 55cm and my Fisher a 44.cm... which is 17.5". By that, I'd say this one might be a bit big for you. I think a 2-3" standover is recommended for MTBs. All from memory and, well, you know what a 54 year old memory is like...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent bike for light duty work. Price seems a little high. No way do I believe they paid $700 for it. It appears to be a 2003 (or older) Hardrock Cr-Mo Women's model. Listed for $290 new. <edit> rigid fork and 21 speeds means this bike is several years older than I thought.
    http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_200..._Cr_Mo_Women_s

I would guess a 16 or 17" would be your MTB size (have you looked at your LBS to determine your size?), but in a women's model you might get by with a larger size.

If you think you'll ever want to do anything beyond very casual offroad riding, I would suggest something else. But it would probably be a reliable, comfortable bike for very easy dirt paths.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-01-07 at 09:01 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way to check for size is to sit on it. All manufacturers size their bike differently and a Speccie 18 " is not the same as a Trek, Giant- or any other. I would say that the price is high and Couple of pointers. 21 speed. That is not a problem but Gripshift is. The crank set is definitely one of the Cheap ones and rings wear out very fast on these. It is not worth just changing rings so a new crankset would be required and if it is the one I think it is- New bottom bracket aswell.

For trail riding it will be OK but any thing remotely serious and I would look elsewhere. I still think it is overpriced though.

Edit----Forget the suspension seat post. Very cheap unit that I replaced on the Tandem after 2 months. It never did save my butt from anything.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-01-07 at 01:16 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the $700. figure is bogus. I bought a MTB in the fall and looked at Hardrocks, the new ones aren't even $700. I see these around the Boston area for $100. or less all the time. Don't know what your budget is but take a look at the Gary Fisher bikes, I got a Wahoo (around $400.) and love it.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    I'm pretty sure the $700. figure is bogus. I bought a MTB in the fall and looked at Hardrocks, the new ones aren't even $700. I see these around the Boston area for $100. or less all the time. Don't know what your budget is but take a look at the Gary Fisher bikes, I got a Wahoo (around $400.) and love it.
    Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll go to my LBS and checkout some mountain bikes since I know zilch about them. They carry Trek and Gary Fisher. My budget is around $500 so I'm sure they will have something suitable.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trek 4500 WSD and the Gary Fisher Marlin GS are female specific models right around $500. Both are similarly equipped and should be good bikes very capable of getting you started offroad and allow you to progress quite a bit toward serious offroading if you choose.
    There are differences in the geometry of the two bikes which may make one fit you better than the other. Happy shopping!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    The Trek 4500 WSD and the Gary Fisher Marlin GS are female specific models right around $500. Both are similarly equipped and should be good bikes very capable of getting you started offroad and allow you to progress quite a bit toward serious offroading if you choose.
    There are differences in the geometry of the two bikes which may make one fit you better than the other. Happy shopping!
    +1 good choices!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, I'll be blunt, that price is too high for that bike. It's value in Central NC is about $50 to 75, maybe $100 on a good day. Note: it has no suspension fork and converting an old bike is expensive or requires quite a bit of knowledge. A rigid fork will limit how fast you progress. I tried it and will never go back.
    Consider this: Add $100 to the $148 and you've got a new Trek 820, built for trails, with a suspension fork (granted it's a low end fork). Personally, I like the recommendation to buy a new Hard Rock or the Trek 4500 mentioned before. Also, for $500, consider a Rockhopper, great frame on the Rockhopper.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, consider the smallest frame you can fit on for a mountain bike. Like a road bike, the most important dimension is the reach, (top tube). You're probably going to want a more upright position than on a road bike, and the short top tube will help. You can get a 350mm seatpost, and more standover room is better. You can put riser bars on any bike, too. I also suggest going as lightweight as you can afford, as some cheaper mtb's go way over 30 lbs. Don't forget tires, some tires are over 2 lbs each, and light tires are around 1 pound, (knobbies). I use a semi-slick on the rear and run the front tire @ 35psi or so, for traction.
    A hardtail should be fine for casual dirt use, but a suspension fork will enhance any off-road ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john
    Beverly, consider the smallest frame you can fit on for a mountain bike. Like a road bike, the most important dimension is the reach, (top tube). You're probably going to want a more upright position than on a road bike, and the short top tube will help. You can get a 350mm seatpost, and more standover room is better. You can put riser bars on any bike, too. I also suggest going as lightweight as you can afford, as some cheaper mtb's go way over 30 lbs. Don't forget tires, some tires are over 2 lbs each, and light tires are around 1 pound, (knobbies). I use a semi-slick on the rear and run the front tire @ 35psi or so, for traction.
    A hardtail should be fine for casual dirt use, but a suspension fork will enhance any off-road ride.
    You've been riding my bike again- No wonder the tyres are wearing out
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    You've been riding my bike again- No wonder the tyres are wearing out
    Well, you know great minds think alike.