Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-07, 11:24 AM   #1
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a decent moutain bike?

I'm in the process of buying a mountain bike to use on some soon-to-open dirt trails in the area. I've been watching the local Craigslist and found this one:
http://dayton.craigslist.org/bik/320506305.html

In case the link doesn't work this is a Specialized Hardrock, 21 speed MRX gripshift in excellent condition.

I'm not familiar with mountain bike sizing. This one is an 18" and appears to have the relaxed geometry frame. I have a 54cm relaxed geometry road bike and a 51cm standard geometry road bike. Does the 18" sound like it might fit? The Specialized website says it has a 29" stand-over and I have a 31" inch inseam. What is the suggested clearance for stand-over on mountain bikes?

Is $148 a good price for this style bike?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Last edited by Beverly; 05-01-07 at 11:44 AM.
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 11:44 AM   #2
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From what I've learned while looking for a bike for my wife, a MTB frame should come in about 10cm under a roadie. For example, my LeMond is a 55cm and my Fisher a 44.cm... which is 17.5". By that, I'd say this one might be a bit big for you. I think a 2-3" standover is recommended for MTBs. All from memory and, well, you know what a 54 year old memory is like...
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 12:04 PM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Decent bike for light duty work. Price seems a little high. No way do I believe they paid $700 for it. It appears to be a 2003 (or older) Hardrock Cr-Mo Women's model. Listed for $290 new. <edit> rigid fork and 21 speeds means this bike is several years older than I thought.
http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_200..._Cr_Mo_Women_s

I would guess a 16 or 17" would be your MTB size (have you looked at your LBS to determine your size?), but in a women's model you might get by with a larger size.

If you think you'll ever want to do anything beyond very casual offroad riding, I would suggest something else. But it would probably be a reliable, comfortable bike for very easy dirt paths.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-01-07 at 09:01 PM.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 01:10 PM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Only way to check for size is to sit on it. All manufacturers size their bike differently and a Speccie 18 " is not the same as a Trek, Giant- or any other. I would say that the price is high and Couple of pointers. 21 speed. That is not a problem but Gripshift is. The crank set is definitely one of the Cheap ones and rings wear out very fast on these. It is not worth just changing rings so a new crankset would be required and if it is the one I think it is- New bottom bracket aswell.

For trail riding it will be OK but any thing remotely serious and I would look elsewhere. I still think it is overpriced though.

Edit----Forget the suspension seat post. Very cheap unit that I replaced on the Tandem after 2 months. It never did save my butt from anything.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-01-07 at 01:16 PM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 02:08 PM   #5
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
I'm pretty sure the $700. figure is bogus. I bought a MTB in the fall and looked at Hardrocks, the new ones aren't even $700. I see these around the Boston area for $100. or less all the time. Don't know what your budget is but take a look at the Gary Fisher bikes, I got a Wahoo (around $400.) and love it.
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 07:03 PM   #6
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
I'm pretty sure the $700. figure is bogus. I bought a MTB in the fall and looked at Hardrocks, the new ones aren't even $700. I see these around the Boston area for $100. or less all the time. Don't know what your budget is but take a look at the Gary Fisher bikes, I got a Wahoo (around $400.) and love it.
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll go to my LBS and checkout some mountain bikes since I know zilch about them. They carry Trek and Gary Fisher. My budget is around $500 so I'm sure they will have something suitable.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 07:33 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The Trek 4500 WSD and the Gary Fisher Marlin GS are female specific models right around $500. Both are similarly equipped and should be good bikes very capable of getting you started offroad and allow you to progress quite a bit toward serious offroading if you choose.
There are differences in the geometry of the two bikes which may make one fit you better than the other. Happy shopping!
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 07:39 PM   #8
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The Trek 4500 WSD and the Gary Fisher Marlin GS are female specific models right around $500. Both are similarly equipped and should be good bikes very capable of getting you started offroad and allow you to progress quite a bit toward serious offroading if you choose.
There are differences in the geometry of the two bikes which may make one fit you better than the other. Happy shopping!
+1 good choices!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 08:29 PM   #9
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Beverly, I'll be blunt, that price is too high for that bike. It's value in Central NC is about $50 to 75, maybe $100 on a good day. Note: it has no suspension fork and converting an old bike is expensive or requires quite a bit of knowledge. A rigid fork will limit how fast you progress. I tried it and will never go back.
Consider this: Add $100 to the $148 and you've got a new Trek 820, built for trails, with a suspension fork (granted it's a low end fork). Personally, I like the recommendation to buy a new Hard Rock or the Trek 4500 mentioned before. Also, for $500, consider a Rockhopper, great frame on the Rockhopper.
Old 05-03-07, 10:57 AM   #10
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Beverly, consider the smallest frame you can fit on for a mountain bike. Like a road bike, the most important dimension is the reach, (top tube). You're probably going to want a more upright position than on a road bike, and the short top tube will help. You can get a 350mm seatpost, and more standover room is better. You can put riser bars on any bike, too. I also suggest going as lightweight as you can afford, as some cheaper mtb's go way over 30 lbs. Don't forget tires, some tires are over 2 lbs each, and light tires are around 1 pound, (knobbies). I use a semi-slick on the rear and run the front tire @ 35psi or so, for traction.
A hardtail should be fine for casual dirt use, but a suspension fork will enhance any off-road ride.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 12:24 PM   #11
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big john
Beverly, consider the smallest frame you can fit on for a mountain bike. Like a road bike, the most important dimension is the reach, (top tube). You're probably going to want a more upright position than on a road bike, and the short top tube will help. You can get a 350mm seatpost, and more standover room is better. You can put riser bars on any bike, too. I also suggest going as lightweight as you can afford, as some cheaper mtb's go way over 30 lbs. Don't forget tires, some tires are over 2 lbs each, and light tires are around 1 pound, (knobbies). I use a semi-slick on the rear and run the front tire @ 35psi or so, for traction.
A hardtail should be fine for casual dirt use, but a suspension fork will enhance any off-road ride.
You've been riding my bike again- No wonder the tyres are wearing out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bianchi.jpg (41.3 KB, 10 views)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 02:43 PM   #12
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
You've been riding my bike again- No wonder the tyres are wearing out
Well, you know great minds think alike.