Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Tried something out of curiosity last night (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/293858-tried-something-out-curiosity-last-night.html)

SaiKaiTai 05-02-07 09:43 AM

Tried something out of curiosity last night

As you know -ho hum- I picked up a LeMond Reno -my first road bike in 20 years- on Saturday

I did 26 miles on Saturday
I did 11.5 miles after work on Monday
And, breaking one of my cardinal rules, I just HAD to take it out for another short jaunt last night.
Did 7.5 miles and, though I planned to just cruise nice and easy, I ended up -as usual- spending 1/3rd of my ride going uphill. Especially now, as I'm learning how to pace myself on this little Ferrari in general and particular on climbs (I'll beat this yet). I'm sure infatuation plays more than a little part in all this. Gosh, this is a NICE bike. Really nice. After a year of nothing but my Kaitai, I've now spent my last three times out on the Reno.

So... as soon as I got home last night and cooled down a bit, I parked the Reno and immediately jumped onto the Kaitai and...well, it felt pretty strange. The saddle, which had felt so perfectly set up, now felt like it was going to pitch me off of the bike. My stroke felt entirely different and I found I had to raise the saddle by a good inch and a half (maybe not the thing to do on a hybrid?). Of course the Fisher was nowhere near as responsive or elegant in it's movements -man I just feel like I'm dancing with the LeMond- but it felt incredibly secure on turns and I still think disk brakes are Da Kine. Other interesting observations. When I started back on this road a year ago, I could maintain a cadence of 60-65 rpm. Over time, I got that to where I can spin along pretty well at 80,85 - 90,95. On the LeMond, holding it DOWN to 90-95 is a bit tricky.

Another thing that struck me was that the Kaitai is a really NICE bike, too. It's just different. Going back and forth is going to be kind of weird.

Anyway, I guess that's it.

The Weak Link 05-02-07 09:50 AM

I know exactly what you mean.

I have a tandem bike that I tootle around with. Once, after a ride, and feeling like I still had some leg left, I hopped on my mountain bike and it really felt weird, especially considering that I have a very cushy fork on the MTB. I thought I was going to go pitching over the handlebars at any moment.

I figured out that I can't ride two different bikes on the same day. Otherwise each bike feels pretty natural.

ang1sgt 05-02-07 09:55 AM

Being back with Bicycles for the first real time in 7 years, and now being more mature, I need to read stories like yours to help my motivation to stay riding. I've always thought of myself as a casual quick rider on a MTB, and very quick on my Recumbent. I've used all the excuses in the world not to get a Road Bike or to even try one again. Your stories of your LeMond are making me turn my eye towards one of these again, and I thank you for that.

Just what I need! Another Bike! I am just so darn glad that Part-time Bike shop job came along when it did!

Chris

BluesDawg 05-02-07 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ang1sgt
Just what I need! Another Bike! I am just so darn glad that Part-time Bike shop job came along when it did!

Do you qualify for an employee purchase?

SaiKaiTai 05-02-07 10:35 AM

Being back with Bicycles for the first real time in 7 years, and now being more mature, I need to read stories like yours to help my motivation to stay riding. I've always thought of myself as a casual quick rider on a MTB, and very quick on my Recumbent. I've used all the excuses in the world not to get a Road Bike or to even try one again. Your stories of your LeMond are making me turn my eye towards one of these again, and I thank you for that.

Chris

Oh, for sure... as late as two, three months ago I saw no need for a roadie. My LBS was having their "Big Annual MEGA sale !!!" and suddenly bikes of incredible quality have fallen into my price range. Even then, I wasn't sure I would like a road bike but I figured -no harm, no foul- I'd go test out a couple. Bad idea. Or good idea; take your pick. I just have two words for you: Do it :D

stapfam 05-02-07 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Oh, for sure... as late as two, three months ago I saw no need for a roadie. My LBS was having their "Big Annual MEGA sale !!!" and suddenly bikes of incredible quality have fallen into my price range. Even then, I wasn't sure I would like a road bike but I figured -no harm, no foul- I'd go test out a couple. Bad idea. Or good idea; take your pick. I just have two words for you: Do it :D

Just Like SKT- I was a mountain biker- Road ride- Flip the stem and put slicks on. Last June I got a Road bike just to see what they are like. I was not fully convinced as to the merits of one but in March made a few changes and now a 50mile road ride is just as interesting- demanding and as much fun as going out for a blast across the hills on the MTB.

ang1sgt 05-02-07 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Do you qualify for an employee purchase?

But of Course!

It's the one thing that my wife dreads about me being back in a Bicycle Shop! I think my "one piece at a time" MTB Frame is already driving her nuts. She sees me out in the garage once or twice a week hanging on a few new parts and she's not said a word. I think she likes hearing me whistling a tune again and the smile on my face, so for that she is very thankful.

The shop I work for has bikes that I lust after and some new nameplates that I've never seen before that have really turned my eye. SEVEN comes right to mind. What a wonderful frame these folks make. Even the head tube badge is a work of art.

But, I have always been a budget rider. So when I see the enjoyment that folks like SaiKaiTai are having with what I consider an affordable bike, I have hope to have one like it. The only hesitation that I have is that I like Steel over Aluminum frames. I keep hoping that a Carbon seat post and a Carbon Fork would make all the difference for me.

Chris

BluesDawg 05-02-07 12:49 PM

The only hesitation that I have is that I like Steel over Aluminum frames. I keep hoping that a Carbon seat post and a Carbon Fork would make all the difference for me. Chris

Carbon can make a bike ride smoother, but it can't make it ride like steel. What brands does your shop carry? No steel road bikes in any of the lines?

ang1sgt 05-02-07 01:45 PM

Bianchi, Trek, LeMond, Fisher, Seven and Bachetta. And yes, I have my favorites in each of the lines. It's funny though, I've always liked Fisher, and the LeMond's have turned my eye. The only Bianchi's that I like are their Single Speeds, and I'm not really wanting one of them.

I really need to take a good long look at the LeMond Reno. Since looking at SKT's pictures and his endorsement of this bike, I have to give one a try. I might look and see if we have one unbuilt and go from Box to Build to Purchase.

My problem is that I Love to build bikes and get as excited as a Kid at Christmas everytime I do a build. Could be a sidewalk bike for a child or a new Trek Tandem, it's the same excitement for me.

Chris

P.S. WAY too much encouragement in this group! LOL!

BluesDawg 05-02-07 01:58 PM

But for merely twice the price LeMond has the Sarthe with nice True Temper OX steel tubing. :lol:

ang1sgt 05-02-07 02:33 PM

Been reading my mind haven't you! I have True Temper tubes in my Old Trek and my Tandem also. I LOVE both of those bikes very much so the Sarthe has gotten a look from me. I don't think I have one to look at, but I'll see what we have in stock to build first!

tsl 05-02-07 05:28 PM

The shop I work for has bikes that I lust after and some new nameplates that I've never seen before that have really turned my eye. SEVEN comes right to mind. What a wonderful frame these folks make. Even the head tube badge is a work of art.

Ah yes. I lust after that Axiom SG you have hanging there every time I visit your shop.

I try to know everyone there by name, but I can't place you. When do you work?

tsl 05-02-07 05:57 PM

Back on topic...

Switching back and forth between my road bike (fun rides and fair-weather commuter) and my hybrid (foul-weather commuter and grocery-getter) feels weird for the first half-mile or so, then I'm okay. Mainly it's that the bars feel so wide on my hybrid. Or, it I'm going the other direction, the bars on my road bike feel too narrow. Either way, a half-mile or so and I'm over it.

Other than that, I find I adjust my riding style to the bike I'm on.

ang1sgt 05-02-07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by tsl
Ah yes. I lust after that Axiom SG you have hanging there every time I visit your shop.

I try to know everyone there by name, but I can't place you. When do you work?

I am the NEW Guy! The New OLD Guy! LOL! My first day was this past Saturday, that how new. Right now I work Saturdays and Wednesday Nights and that's it. I Love it there so far. Scott and myself go back a few years and he remembers my work from another shop. I stopped doing that about 7 years ago, so right now I am getting back into the swing of things. Just enough new stuff to keep it interesting and enough older stuff to make it worth my while and experience.

Chris

tsl 05-02-07 07:52 PM

I am the NEW Guy! The New OLD Guy! LOL! My first day was this past Saturday, that how new. Right now I work Saturdays and Wednesday Nights and that's it.

That explains it. I usually come by during weekday afternoons. I work Saturdays except for during summer. I'll have to swing by then. Do you do any of the shop's rides? After doing the TNUA ride all winter, I'm trying to catch the Monday Night Small Ring ride for the summer. Monday nights aren't quite as convenient as Tuesdays were. I'm too old and slow for the Thursday Night Big Ring rides.

ang1sgt 05-03-07 06:46 AM

I need to consider some of the rides. I usually ride by myself due to my odd collection of bikes which are neither fast nor as sleek as some feel they should. My quickest bike is the Rans Rocket, but that is built around comfort more than anything else. With a 20 inch front suspension fork and 20 x1.95 high pressure tires, what else would I be looking for on my Barcalounger on two wheels.

Last night after we closed the shop I was looking over what parts I want to Hang on my "CLYDE" Bike "One Piece at a Time". It's going to be a strange mix of parts that I hope work well together to create a bike that is quite different. It's been a bike I've been thinking of building for a few years and this year it is happening. I hope to have it finished by the time I need to go to Washington DC/ Arlington, VA. I would like to ride some of the Trails I used to ride in the late 80's down there.

Chris