Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Positive REI Experience

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Positive REI Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Positive REI Experience

I brought my Marin Hybrid down with me to Atlanta this week because the weather for the week looked so nice. Going from here to Colorado Springs so I was looking forward to some nice rides. Anyway, yesterday I broke a spoke while riding the Silver Comet Trail here in Atlanta (great path by the way). I rode about 20 miles wobbling everywhere. So, today I ran the wheel into one of the REI's here to see if I could get it fixed. The guy looked at it, and asked me I could wait for 20 minutes or so. SURE. Well, he fixed not one, but TWO broken spokes while I waited. No Charge! Yippee. I usually go to LBS's when possible, but I have to tell you, I have never had a bad experience with an REI store. Wheel is nice and true now. Tomorrow, back on the Silver Comet Trail! I love happy endings.
Old 05-01-07, 05:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've had very good luck with REI. They have a good bike shop as well as bikes.You can buy anything from them and if you don't like it, bring it back, no questions asked.
Old 05-01-07, 08:35 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The mechanics at my local REI have been very helpful with hard to find parts. They're not my ATF LBS, but I still buy a few things there and would use them for a repair.
Old 05-01-07, 08:43 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
No local REI shops around Indy but really wanted a Novara Big Buzz in 2003. So.....Fed EX (UPS?) brought me an internet bike from REI Seattle. But, 2-3 spokes broke on the rear wheel early on. Downside of internet bike-buying: Had to ship the wheel to Seattle for fix. Upside of this: The wrenches in Seattle hand-built me a new wheel that has stayed nice and true.
Old 05-01-07, 09:16 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on REI My son works at the distribution center in Sumner Wa. He will be pleased to hear a good REI experience. They are the bomb around here and are pretty customer oriented, not to say they are perfect but they are really good for the most part. If you want a real experience if you ever get to the Seattle area stop in at their flagship store its pretty cool. Its nice to hear a home town company get kudos from another part of the country
Old 05-01-07, 09:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Atlanta REI sends a crew to set up shop at each overnight stop on BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) every year. Always good, friendly and knowledgeable staff.

How long are you going to be in Atlanta and how much time do you have to ride? I know a few places.
Old 05-01-07, 10:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I live just over 2 miles from an REI outlet, and I am a member, but I just don't think of them as a bike shop surrogate, although I have bought some good cycling shorts there.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-02-07, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long are you going to be in Atlanta and how much time do you have to ride? I know a few places.
I am here until Friday morning. I leave then for Colorado Springs. Plan on going out again tonight on the Silver Comet Trail. I am staying out about where I-75 and I-285 intersect. There's a Hampton Inn and Suites there.
Old 05-02-07, 07:24 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Silver Comet is a great resource for Atlanta. I tend to get a little bored with the lack of climbing, but most people think I'm a lunatic for thinking that way.

There are some other good paths around Atlanta with curves and hills, but nothing nearly as long as the Silver Comet. Arabia Mountain trails near Lithonia is very fun, but on the opposite side of town from you. Besides you'll get plenty of hills in Colorado Springs (I'm jealous).

Enjoy your ride on the comet!
Old 05-02-07, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides you'll get plenty of hills in Colorado Springs (I'm jealous).
I am staying out by the Air Force Academy. There's a trail that runs out there and keeps on going up into the hills I believe, up by Monument Pass and beyond. I rode it the other way, along C. Springs last year.