Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's Ride w/PICs - Gulfport, FL - (56K Warning)

- as promised, here's a new series of pics from a local ride...

- however, i'll show pics from the destination to home instead of a ride loop in my last 'today's ride w/PICs' post... this ride is a 23-miler from home down to a little local waterfront community known as Gulfport... i ended up flatting about four miles from home (crappy Performance thorn-resistant tubes aren't worth @#$#@!), underneath an overpass in a spot known colloquially as 'Little Egypt'...

- a dead tree served well as a trail-side bike stand...

- on the waterfront, there's a bike stand (and two piers); looking south is St. Pete Beach:

- the longer pier (NO BIKES ALLOWED)... the water is exceptionally clear and approx 79F:

- the area sports a 30s-era gambling/dance hall; many pubs and restaurants face the water:

- after biking thru town on back roads (designated bike lanes w/no markings), you get back on the local trail; markers indicate where you are in the county:

- there are spots for shade along the trail:

- some intersections are confusing however; here's a confluence of NINE different traffic and trail lanes:

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - there are a number of artificial hills (overpasses); the only way to simulate climbing 'round these parts is a good strong headwind and fartleks back and forth over these bad boyz:

- ah! relief at the top of this one; note the fencing to prevent despondent bikers from throwing themselves down onto the traffic below:

- now back into St. Pete:

- Little Egypt, a fanciful collage underneath a local highway; favorite place for crack- and meth-heads, miscreant feral street urchins, joggers, and cyclists:

- another artistic effort overlaying an original artistic effort:

- and here is where i found refuge and a dead tree for a bike stand for a flat repair; when quizzical cyclists zoomed past, i rubbed dirt on my face, foamed at the mouth, shook all over, and screamed, "I'M BUILDING A CHRISTMAS TREE, OK?!!!"... funny how no one stopped to ask if i need help?:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Looks more like a Festivus tree.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder you put up a good average speed with those tyres. Why Can't I find a dead tree when I want one?

One good thing about those overpasses is good interval training so I hope you sprint them- but with the scenery like that I think I would be inclined to take it steady and take in the view.

Nice ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The signs indicating the town look familar, is this part of the Pinellas Trail?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    The signs indicating the town look familar, is this part of the Pinellas Trail?
    - yes, but i took my life in my hands by traversing 54th Ave. and Starkey Rd. for a mile or so... (thank heavens the Wally World and Target shoppers didn't smoosh me on the road)...

- coming home up 71st there was no shoulder whatsoever... no drunks on the road, so i survived!

:-)

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - and here is where i found refuge and a dead tree for a bike stand for a flat repair; when quizzical cyclists zoomed past, i rubbed dirt on my face, foamed at the mouth, shook all over, and screamed, "I'M BUILDING A CHRISTMAS TREE, OK?!!!"... funny how no one stopped to ask if i need help?:
    I never understand that. We all cycle, we all have bike problems from time to time. Why not stop and offer a hand?

When I ride my recumbent, my back pack has a few 700C tubes, 2 26 inch tubes and 2 20 inch tubes. The twenties are for my bike, the 26's I use on my MTB's. As cheap as they are I don't mind giving them away if someone needs it. A few years ago, I would slip a business card in the tube box from the shop I worked at. Sometimes it made a new customer and other times it probably became more trash on the trail.

Pay it back and pay it forward...

Quick question on the Trail Signs. Are those just decorative or do they have lights on them also? LOL, The almost look like Train Signals to me!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt
    Quick question on the Trail Signs. Are those just decorative or do they have lights on them also? LOL, The almost look like Train Signals to me!
    - the signs are supposedly 'sculpture'....

- no lights... in fact, no ped/cycle traffic is purportedly allowed after sunset...

- i'll post some more legs of the passage and other rides around the county as time and effort permit...

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Crap, there really are places without hills! Nice pics..
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride and pics. Sure looks like a scary place for a flat. I made the ride from the North end of the trail down to Seminole City Park (mile marker 10) last weekend. 50 miles for my soon to be 50th birthday. The trail isn't too bad, but too many cross streets, especially in Clearwater. Those bridges didn't seem too fun on the way back north, into the wind.

Hoping to make it out on the Suncoast Trail in the morning, before the heat.

Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MarkD
    Nice ride and pics. Sure looks like a scary place for a flat. I made the ride from the North end of the trail down to Seminole City Park (mile marker 10) last weekend. 50 miles for my soon to be 50th birthday. The trail isn't too bad, but too many cross streets, especially in Clearwater. Those bridges didn't seem too fun on the way back north, into the wind.

Hoping to make it out on the Suncoast Trail in the morning, before the heat.

Mark
    - that's my favorite ride, but i have to agree about getting through Scientology City (Clearwater)... it's too bad that little sandwich shop right on the trail up in Tarpon Springs has closed down - it did some great soups...

- i'm off this morning for a nice 25-miler recovery pace loop at Walshingham...

- mebbe i'll see you on the trail for my 52-miler birthday ride in late June?