Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ot Rant.....menu's

Tonight I configured my new Cat Eye Strada computer and it was even harder than my Topeak Panoram.

If I ever find the guy that thought up the 'Menu' system it will take me almost as much time to kill him as it does the 'Phone Tree' system creator.

I'm thinking about a month each.........

Maybe I wouldn't really kill them, but maiming sounds real good...........

For anyone considering a Cat Eye Strada, the display is the same width as a postage stamp and just a tad longer. Very small.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Maybe I wouldn't really kill them, but maiming sounds real good..........
    I've found that old, dull, cable cutters are good for that. As a bonus, after you finish, they can't reproduce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My complaint is that my polarized sunglasses affect the readout and it clouds over. Take 'em off and I can see clearly-- as long as I put my nose down next to the bars to overcome my unassisted vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe with older people riding, vendors will start making age appropriate products. Like products you can actually read..............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe with older people riding, vendors will start making age appropriate products. Like products you can actually read..............

Actually, those fat & soft handled kitchen implements (garlic press, lid twister, etc.) aren't too bad even though I don't have inflammed joints, etc. Not quite ready for a "I've fallen" alarm. Can't imagine what eating a power bar with dentures is like.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys should check out the Sigma computers display. I think you would really like the large numbers.
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is get the "Expert" in your neighbourhood to sort it out. Either that or any 8 year old off the street.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Menu. Push button 1 to change what you are looking at (the thing thats blinking). Push button 2 for 2 seconds to accept what you are looking at and move on to next item. Repeat untill done.

That's the translation from folded rice paper to english.

I actually thought that the Strada was one of the easy ones.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 05-04-07 at 05:40 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a cheap (19.00) Sigma for the Windsor. It's the only one I can read without my glasses and it took all of 5 minutes to set it up. It also is a tool free installation.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    My complaint is that my polarized sunglasses affect the readout and it clouds over. Take 'em off and I can see clearly-- as long as I put my nose down next to the bars to overcome my unassisted vision.
    Agreed. Depending upon the angle of the sun, I may not see my computer for half of a ride.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you angle the computer display away from you it is less likely that the glare will present a problem (the light source would have to be relatively low in front of you). I find that flat or slightly down at the front works for most. The worst angle seems to be tipped up so the display points toward you.

If you riding into the setting sun (or rising sun if you ride that early) you probably won't be able to see it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually love my Strada. Had no problem setting it up (I AM one of those rare individuals who can also set the clock on a VCR, though). I really like the one button clicking between functions and just hold it down to reset. My wife struggles to reset her Astral 8 every time we ride.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 70ElkySS
    .................................................................................................... .............My wife struggles to reset her Astral 8 every time we ride.
    Now here is a tough one. The manual is printed sooo small and multiple languages. It covers so many options and adjustments. It does act up in humidity, the contacts start not working.
    You really have to be a little talented to install and set this one up.
    The Strada "sounds" as if it is simpler but it is made by the same outfit. Did they get better technical writers?

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycle computers are no worst than digital watches. I finally gave up on the multi-tiered watch menus and bought an old fashioned watch with hands! Also I keep a manual for my Edge 305 on my computer so I can find the damn thing every time I get lost on how to work it.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I have learned that you can go to a company site, like Cat Eye, and find the particular model computer you have and then look for the instruction manual. Since it is often in PDF format you can then blow it up large enough to make it readable. I'm not saying you can understand it, but at least the font is readable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I have learned that you can go to a company site, like Cat Eye, and find the particular model computer you have and then look for the instruction manual. Since it is often in PDF format you can then blow it up large enough to make it readable. I'm not saying you can understand it, but at least the font is readable.
    Good tip! Plus you can crop it to only the language you need.