Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pick this up when you make a Costco run...

next time you lay in supplies...throw one of these in the basket

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally a Cadillac that's almost in my price range.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    58cm for "5'10" and UP"? I'm "up," and it's at least 6cm too short for me. Plus the bikes I've seen at Costco look like they were assembled by grammar school kids with Crescent wrenches, the parts just loosely bolted on for convenience in shipping. Plus the gearing is far too high for new or casual riders to climb a significant hill. Stuff like this hurts cycling in the long run, I think. People who might enjoy it buy something like this, and it's not set up right and doesn't do what they need it to and starts coming apart, and they blame cycling in general and lean the bike against the garage wall for 15 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    Plus the bikes I've seen at Costco look like they were assembled by grammar school kids with Crescent wrenches, the parts just loosely bolted on for convenience in shipping.
    Looks like a pretty good price though for a 105-equipped 19lb. bike, though. Someone with decent mechanical skills could probably give it a thorough tune and have a pretty good bang-for-the-buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, on paper a nice bike for the price. However not enough blink - I want my Caddie to be completely pimped out.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Agreed, on paper a nice bike for the price. However not enough blink - I want my Caddie to be completely pimped out.
    Two words: Handlebar streamers.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I baffles me how these "high end" companys can brand a average to low end bicycle with thier name. I have seen Eddie Bauers, Jeep and so on and they are all low end bikes. Are the marketers so stupid they think that people will not figure out that is crap with a good name?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    I baffles me how these "high end" companys can brand a average to low end bicycle with thier name. I have seen Eddie Bauers, Jeep and so on and they are all low end bikes. Are the marketers so stupid they think that people will not figure out that is crap with a good name?
    While there certainly is some "crap" of this description on the market, I don't agree that the bike in question is "crap". It has a pretty good component load and weight for only $600. I paid $750 (clearance price) for my 105-equipped flat-bar with a couple of extra pounds.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    I have seen Eddie Bauers, Jeep and so on and they are all low end bikes. Are the marketers so stupid they think that people will not figure out that is crap with a good name?
    If you call that a low end bike then what do you call our Sora and Tiagra equipped Treks. Pure crap? Every component on that bike is the same or better than on my Trek 1200.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    If you call that a low end bike then what do you call our Sora and Tiagra equipped Treks. Pure crap? Every component on that bike is the same or better than on my Trek 1200.
    Precisely what I was thinking but If the thing doesn't ride right- It could be a "Cheap" mistake.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry folks I did notmean to insult. The E Bauer I was looking at last night was not different than a wallmart bike. THe Caddy may indded be better. Sorry Iwas wrong.

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense taken, was really just wondering whether you classify a 105 equipped bike as low-end.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    might be worth it to use as a rainy day beater at that price. My Bianchi is fully 105 equipped and it by no means is a low end bike.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    Two words: Handlebar streamers.
    Don't forget the baseball cards and clothespins!

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify - 105, Sora and I think all the current Shimono line is very very good. The frames, handlebars, stems and such on found on department store/marketing branded bikes are not generally (IMHO) very good. Sometimes they are though. Also, think of it this way. In the case of Cadillac, they pride themselves as being the best GM has to offer. Is 105 the best Shimano has to offer? Is a bike sold through Costco the best available? So how does this bike meet up to Cadillac's standards? Oh yeaas, I do believe that bikes sold and serviced through a bike shop are better quality than those with similar components sold through a mass outlet. Sorry if I offend, but those are my thoughts.

BTW, My custom road bike is set up with components similar to the 105 level (mostly) and I could not be happier with it. I do have utrgra hubs though.

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you can buy it in small, medium or large!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 19 pound bike with 105 for $600 is not a bad deal, unless the frame is poorly made and cracks after a few rides. Also, low spoke count wheels are not appropriate for a heavy rider who is likely to blindly purchase this bike.

Somehow, an automobile name on a bicycle just creeps me out.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn it, I am wrong even more on this one. Caddy has up to a full Dura Ace version. They really are trying on this one!

"Toes"

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike is not actually available at any Costco that I have heard of. It is only available online, and it is shipped directly from the distributor.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I checked the Costco link, there was only one frame size available, which is irrelevant for a 6'2" guy like me since their largest frame is only 58cm. If you're the right size, it's a pretty good deal though. As far as the Ultegra and DA models go, I think I'd probably buy something from Bikes Direct that's named after a bicycle--but I'm funny that way. Oh yeah, and the BD stuff is cheaper....

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think GM/Cadillac has anything to do with this bike. It's just an importer who has licensed the name from them.

It does look like a very good deal. Much in the way that BikesDirect bikes offer a lot for the money. What we are seeing is a price much closer to the actually parts cost. Not only 105 rear and front, but carbon fork & seat stays too. And FSA Gossamer crank, SRAM PG950 cassette, and Shimano 550 wheels. All of this is pretty standard stuff on $900-$1000 road bikes. I don't see any signs of skimping.

I agree that the wheels would be iffy for anyone 200+.

58cm is about right for someone around 5'10" to 6'0", if they have typical proportions. Someone around 5'8" who fits a 58cm would have to have very long legs for their height.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post