My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride without computer

My computer on my bike is not working.
    I'll use the one on my trainer when I buy some pull ties. I won't have it switched yet by tomarrow mornings ride.

How many of you ride often without a computer?
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely use a computer when I ride.

My Bikes
    The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride without a computer? Is that possible? Why?

Spoken as an anal-retentative mileage junkie, of course.
    Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never ride with a computer. Two main reasons. First I am so obsessive-compulsive that I would be competing with my self all the time, and second I do not see the damn numbers any more. Maybe I will get a Garmin Edge, it seems to have a nice large screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one on my "serious" bike, the one I use for what I laughingly call training and occasionally ride on centuries. None on the other roadie, the singlespeed, the folder or the mountain bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
    I don't have a computer on my bicycle. My internal one tells me all I need to know. Heart rate, oxygen levels, power output and attitude adjustment. It's very well calibrated. I love it.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 05-05-07 at 02:57 PM.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll use the one on my trainer when I buy some pull ties. I won't have it switched yet by tomarrow mornings ride.

Can't.
    Even on my commute, almost the same every day, I reset it each morning. I'm amazed how much difference the wind makes, and how I feel makes. I love hotting a new commute record.
    I must be a geek, but it maes me happy, so what the heck.

I imagined how they would work before they were available. I wanted to make my own. I bought the first computer I ever saw -- Cateye Solar. Still have it (don't use it, but have it.)
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No computer, no ride.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the MTB's I have a problem in that I keep Breaking the sensor or knocking the Computer off the bike and losing it. Still keep buying new ones to replace them but then something goes out of kilter on rides- or the batteries go flat or something interferes with the wireless ones- so as they break I have stopped replacing them. Don't miss them at all. I know when i have done enough miles for the day- or WOW- that was a fast hill or This is Steep and slow.

Then there is the Tandem that also has a cadence sensor on it and it looks as though there are wires all over the place. Just waiting for them to snag on something and break again. The road bike however has a wireless computer on it that does not give a problem. That is how I know that the new wheels and tyres work better than the OM's did and that I have done 3,300 miles on it so far in 11 months.

Other than that- a Computer is the best toy you can get for a bike- but not at $50 a throw every other week.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computer on the tandem, none on any of the other bikes.

Greg LeMond never used a computer, he claimed the time in saddle was the important part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Stewart Warner bike speedometer in 1956. Thing crapped out on me after a year. I've been sour on bike computers ever since. My time point-to-point is almost entirely a function of stoplight timing.

Paul

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    I have one on my "serious" bike, the one I use for what I laughingly call training and occasionally ride on centuries. None on the other roadie, the singlespeed, the folder or the mountain bike.
    Sums me up to a T. Except that I don't have a singlespeed.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine broke last year {road bike** and due to being lazy, I just never got around to replacing it.
    I found it was easier to have an easy ride without constantly trying to increase the average mph. or trying to set a fast time more frequently than I should.
    Leaving the heart rate monitor at home works quite well also.
    I did however miss the odometer part of the computer.

This year I purchased a Garmin w/heart rate monitor........its time to get back to being a bit more serious about my training.
    I'm not totally useless....I can be used as a BAD example.

Northern Minnesota
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Crosstown, 1984 Raleigh Racing USA Competition, 197? Fuji Cambridge III
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one on my Racing USA Comp, but when i ride it i only go on a route that i know the mileage of. Just have to keep track of my mileage. BTW, i use a Schwinn computer on my daily ride that i bought at WalMart a few years ago for 9.00. I usually have it on the scan function that rotates to display speed-max speed-avg speed- and ride time. I really can imagine riding without it. Also have a base unit on my Fuji Cambridge III (fenders for the rain) so i can move the computer from bike to bike in an instant.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't used a computer in over 10 years. I used to track mileage, avg speed, HR, cadence on every ride. Finally learned that the statistics got in the way, at times dictating how I rode; since I wasn't training for races I eventually said "Humbug". Never had an altimeter or a power meter.

My son & daughter have computers on road bikes so they sometimes give me mileage updates on favorite routes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that my town has gone wireless I will probably install a card and take the computer on rides..........................

not

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essential in paceline riding for speed and time; otherwise useful for training and HR monitoring. Never had one in the old days when growing up, but would miss my Garmin 301 now.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it legal to ride without a computer????

My Specialized Sirus, that I use as a sort of town bike/sort of easy riding bike, doesn't have a computer. Remarkable how much fun a ride can be when I'm not worrying about speed, pace, distance, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only ride without a computer when I want to go slow and take it easy, like when I was recovering from surgery. I find I ride at a more relaxed pace when I have no computer or HRM.

OTOH: You can figure out mileage and eleveation gain after the fact with gmaps pedometer, bikely or whatever.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traced my route on routeslip. I came up with about 30 miles. I didn't really miss it that much. I was wondering how fast i was going when I was hammering down a straight flat stretch. But it really is not that important.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only ride with a computer if I'm trying to follow a map on a route I've never ridden before, so that I can keep track of where I'm supposed to turn. Of course, it didn't help this weekend, and I ended up climbing 300ft that I didn't need to... grumble, grumble.

My Bikes
    Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The puter make YOU a slave... And it is a hard task master....No puter for me :>)
    I ride to coast !!!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a computer for each of 4 bikes, they are all base level (miles, trip, speed, time of day), except for one that also has elapsed time and average speed. I think being deprived of a speedometer in my youth has driven me to get one for all bikes. All I really bother with is mileage. Something to write in my log. Occasionally if I think I'm really moving I will glance at speed; although I'm usually so slow I rather not know. As to wireless models, guess I should search as to what affects them. Had about 2 months on my one wireless model and it suddenly dropped to zero. Then responded a bit later but at something less then half speed. I hope wireless computers aren't like digital cameras and just eat batteries.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride without a computer? Never, ever.

I have two on my main bike, in case one fails or gets reset somehow. One has heart rate, but both have ride time & speed.

I have only one on my beater bike, but I have an older model for a spare that fits the same mount as the one on it.

I am very OC about measuring the roll out to set the wheel size, too.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    +1. That sounds like me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast