I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a bike I rather fancy...

Stopped by a Performance LBS today, thinking I'd have a look-see at a Fuji, when I was steered toward this bike: Schwinn DBX. Took it for a spin and I really enjoyed the bike. It has eyelets for racks, can accommodate nearly any size tire, and has in-line brakes which I really liked. It comes with disc brakes, but I don't know whether that's an advantage or not. It also can be retrofitted with regular brakes. It was comfortable, no hand pain, and I liked how it handled.

The deal looks pretty good as well: it's a 2006, so it's marked down to $949.

Anyone familiar with this bike?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno about this one in particular, but we have a Performance shop in town, and they've got a number of nice-looking well-equipped Schwinns on the floor. Seems like the brand, after all sorts of ups, downs, and ownership changes has really gotten its act together.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like about the bike: it fits, it's comfortable, and its in the budget. It's versatile, so I can use it for lots of different kinds of riding, from every day fun, to commuting, to light touring. The components are decent. I even like the color, even though Bicycling Magazine says it's "not sexy." What do they know anyway? It appears to be pretty much exactly the bike I'd have designed for myself at this stage of my life and riding experience.

What i don't like: Not as comfortable with the Schwinn name, perhaps that would affect a resale value, but who knows, and I'm not as delighted with this LBS as my personal favorites. Then again, this particular LBS has really done nothing to put me off, I think I'm responding to some dim memories of being ignored in the showroom one day. And of course, they're a distance from me (but still under 10 miles).

Performance also has some kind of "club" you can join for $25 that gives you $100 in store credit (so net $75) which would pay for a computer and a couple of water cages, which is nice.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware the Performance Club. I'm a member, and find that with the coupons, discounts and store credit deals, there always seems to be a very good reason to pop in "for just a few seconds, dear."
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Beware the Performance Club. I'm a member, and find that with the coupons, discounts and store credit deals, there always seems to be a very good reason to pop in "for just a few seconds, dear."
    Got that right!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, only Brits fancy something. You might like it, groove on it, bond with it, get tite with it, be cool with it, and think it's saweeet, but that's the extent of it. Bl##dy w*nk+r.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I take a hankerin' to it?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hankerin' should be OK.... cotton to it would certainly be acceptable.
    Ahhhh Schwinn... the biking equivalent of comfort food. My boomer heart is a'beatin
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's more like it, nuthin like Merikin Redneck. Y'all were makin me as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockin chairs.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...back to the original questions...anyone with comments on the bike or the brand?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. I don't know a thing about it.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe there's an advantage with disk brakes on a road bike, that's what my son in law keeps telling me. While I finally agree with him, I wouldn't have bike retrofitted with calipers. Maybe if they had a model with same specs but caliper brakes for less... just saying. Other then that the bike appears to be like so many others. Aluminum frame from Taiwan, carbon fork with aluminum steerer, good. Shimano components. I do think price is high for a 2006 model. But then I'm not looking for a bike so I can wait.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    That's the truth! I'm just wondering how crazy I'm going to go when they open the new Performance shop in town
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus
    I don't believe there's an advantage with disk brakes on a road bike, that's what my son in law keeps telling me. While I finally agree with him, I wouldn't have bike retrofitted with calipers. Maybe if they had a model with same specs but caliper brakes for less... just saying. Other then that the bike appears to be like so many others. Aluminum frame from Taiwan, carbon fork with aluminum steerer, good. Shimano components. I do think price is high for a 2006 model. But then I'm not looking for a bike so I can wait.
    Disc brakes have the advantage of letting you ride on wheels whose rim sidewalls will look forever new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Although disk brakes are a fine idea in general, it's kind of overkill for a road bike.

It doesn't look like there is an option for a triple crank. For some riders this would be a minus.

It's probably a well made bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    Disc brakes have the advantage of letting you ride on wheels whose rim sidewalls will look forever new.
    Good point.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would go back and search my old threads when I was trying out road bikes, you'll find a post or two of where I tried out a 2006 Schwinn Super Sport DBX and liked it. It fit me very well. It's a nice slightly ruggedized road bike.

Bicycling Magazine gave it a very good review as an all-purpose road bike.

Some nice components on it ... 105 rear derailleur & BB7 disc brakes.

Schwinn isn't making it in 2007. As it is discontinued, some are heavily discounting it. There's one in my size at a nearby LBS for $850. That particular LBS has a good rep and they really liked the DBX.

If I had decided to buy a road bike, my final three would have been a Trek Pilot 1.2, Schwinn SS DBX and Giant OCR2. Can't say which I would have picked in the end.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wake me when DG actually signs the check.

Yet, it may be that a crossover roadbike like the DBX may be just the thing for your "first" roadie, DG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

FWIW, there is one review of a similar bike here...........

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...6_5668crx.aspx

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have added that the nearby LBS that likes the Schwinn DBX is a higher-end shop that carries Cannondale, Merck, Bianchi, and other pricey brands. Didn't want to leave the impression that it was a small little shop where Schwinn was their #1 line.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the specs, it looks similar to my Atlantis--as somebody else said, a "ruggedized road bike." I've had it almost four years, and even though I have other bikes, that's the one I get on at least 75 percent of the time. One of the best things about it is versatility. With no more than a tire swap, I can do fairly fast group rides or take it out on the fire trails behind my house.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swinn name used to be top rate in the MTB world but then they hit problems. Only two things I do not like about the bike. The disc brakes are going to be overkill and add weight- and no weight listed to the bike. If it is heavier than another similar priced model in the shop- then forget it. Couple of points about Disc brakes. The pads touch the disc on most so you get the feeling, or sense, that the brakes are dragging. I do not notice it on the Tandem but it might be a mental thing. The other point is that it saves Rim wear, but do any road riders have problems in wearing out Rims with conventional brakes? I do on the MTB's and have to replace them about every 2 years.

Thanks to the recent reputation of Swinn- I would be inclined to look very carefully before commiting. No-one seems to know the ridability of the bike or the components but that may change with a report by an owner. Then at the same time it does seem a good buy and the price drop puts it in line with the OCR2 that you enquired about the other day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unlike an automobile, disk pads on a bike have a spring to pull them back. They should absolutely not rub if properly adjusted.

Disk brakes hold other advantages not mentioned before. They have vastly superior braking in the rain and they concentrate the braking heat at the caliper/rotor far, far away from the tire and tube. Try touching your rims after stopping from a 40mph downhill run.

Discs will be more common on road bikes in the future. A few years of experience by the manufacturers has done wonders on the MTB side of the fence. The biggest obstical on the road bike side will be rider perception.

One last note, it would appear that cyclocross bikes will be going to discs in a big way (mud, mud and more mud). This will lead to newer better equipment being available for the 700c wheel crowd.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well howdie, ya,all, 'nother good ol Merican redneck chekin in her'', well I'll be dipped ...,,,,,,,@#$^&

I have a great LBS here, have dealt with him in the past. I went with the Fuji Newest 2.0 which I got yesterday YES !!!!!! Bike Flies compared to the Hybrid, but back to story. This LBS carries Schwinn too, no doubt nice looking bikes, I was looking at the new Le Tour, very nice bike. For a rec. rider I doubt there is much difference. A road bike is a frame and components, all pretty much the same at this price range. So if you like it, GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

T Bone

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    psst....over here.......Jamis Satelite!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast