Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did some bike shopping today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-05-07, 07:15 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My daughter and I went to the LBS today to shop for her Electra Townie. My only specification was it could not have coaster brakes - she's never used them. We ended up with a royal blue (color is important) 7 speed and she loves it.

While they were preparing her bike I was talking to the owner about a mountain bike for me. I tried a couple different sizes and brands but didn't see anything I really liked. The owner said he had one in the backroom he thought I would like. Well....it just took one look and a ride around the lot to know this was the one I came home with a Trek WSD 4300 in silver with light blue lettering. I had them install the Shimano M324 pedals so I can use platform or clip-in. Now I need to find someplace to ride this thing until they get the mountain bike park open this fall.

One of these days I'm going to buy a bike in something other than grey or black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4300wsd_platinumsilver.jpg (75.6 KB, 38 views)

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-05-07, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Way to go Beverly. Congratulations on the new bike.

There must be some existing dirt trails somewhere in your area. Maybe the LBS guys know of something.

Are you gonna go with the tattoos and piercings like some of the mountain bike chicks have?
Old 05-05-07, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the exact bike that I borrowed from son Kevin just about year ago that got me riding bicycles again. Same color and everything. I hope you have a great time with it. He seriously wrecked his by getting tree parts wound up in the drivetrain on a downhill and replaced it with a Rockhopper. It's going to be rebuilt though. They are pretty decent basic hardtail mountain bikes.
Old 05-05-07, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
My daughter and I went to the LBS today to shop for her Electra Townie. My only specification was it could not have coaster brakes - she's never used them. We ended up with a royal blue (color is important) 7 speed and she loves it.

While they were preparing her bike I was talking to the owner about a mountain bike for me. I tried a couple different sizes and brands but didn't see anything I really liked. The owner said he had one in the backroom he thought I would like. Well....it just took one look and a ride around the lot to know this was the one I came home with a Trek WSD 4300 in silver with light blue lettering. I had them install the Shimano M324 pedals so I can use platform or clip-in. Now I need to find someplace to ride this thing until they get the mountain bike park open this fall.

One of these days I'm going to buy a bike in something other than grey or black
There's always Moab.
Old 05-05-07, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beverly-I hope you can get you daughter hooked on biking? It almost seems as if my son is becoming OCB (Obsessive Compulsive Biker). He is off the cigarettes and is worrying about nutrition issues now.
Perhaps we should get them together?
No, that wont work. He is hooked on his significant other. But who knows?
Old 05-06-07, 12:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I can see problems coming here.You go to buy a bike for the daughter and come home with a mud plugger for yourself. And a Good one at that. The wsd form of bike works for the female gender so Make certain that it does not get swopped for the townie.

Good choice on bike and just one tip for when you ride it. Find a good muddy area for your first ride as it doesn't hurt so much when you fall off.
Don't mean that but you will find offroad addictive. It is harder than Road or gentle trail riding, but you also get plenty of rests at the top of the hills.- You have to look at the scenery now and then as it will open up new horizons for you. And watch out for those trees- They suddenly jump out in front of you and are hard to miss.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-06-07, 01:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet looking ride Beverly!
I have 324s on my Kaitai and I love 'em.
Old 05-06-07, 06:33 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats...enjoy every chance you get... ...Peace
Old 05-06-07, 06:47 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May your bikes bring you and your daughter much pleasure. No doubt they will.
Old 05-06-07, 06:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Who HASN'T bought a new bike lately besides me?

I am beginning to feel left out.

WOW!

Congratulations. I love my hardtail (and it also has a hard front)!

Go, Beverly.
Old 05-06-07, 06:56 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
Slap some Hutchinson Pythons on the Trek. They roll fairly well on the road and are OK on hardpack trails. Not much on loose trails (at least not in KY). I had to switch to Kenda Nevegals for trails, but the Pythons are OK for dual purpose and roll easy if you want to ride the road until the mtn.bike park opens.
Old 05-06-07, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on a nice bike. I have the same bike except not the womens. I put a set of Kenda Kross plus on mine and it rides great on the bike path and also does very well in the sandy soil where I live. I don't ride it much anymore since I switched to mostly road riding. We took it and my wifes bike to a soccer tournament last weekend and between games we went for a ride through a residetial area and went to a bunch of yard sales. I had a great time jumping curbs, cutting through sandy, grassy areas and just generally doing things I can't (or should'nt) do on my road bike. It was also good to have the rack on the back to carry the roller blades she bought. As I experiment with different bikes and upgrade or think I'm upgrading I don't see me getting rid of my 4300 for a long time.
Old 05-06-07, 12:33 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Who HASN'T bought a new bike lately besides me?

I am beginning to feel left out.
I haven't! Though I did buy a new saddle and gloves.
Old 05-06-07, 06:31 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Way to go Beverly. Congratulations on the new bike.

There must be some existing dirt trails somewhere in your area. Maybe the LBS guys know of something.

Are you gonna go with the tattoos and piercings like some of the mountain bike chicks have?
Do pierced ears count as piercings

There are mountain bike trails in some of the state parks but nothing close by. I think I'll take it on some of the paved trails just to get it adjusted. The mountain bike park is supposed to be open around Labor Day.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-06-07, 06:36 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I can see problems coming here.You go to buy a bike for the daughter and come home with a mud plugger for yourself. And a Good one at that. The wsd form of bike works for the female gender so Make certain that it does not get swopped for the townie.
I took the Townie for a spin around the neighborhood. It felt so strange and I had a hard time balancing on it. Don't think I'm ready to trade the road bike for the Townie yet I've always told my kids when I get old and wobbly I'm going to buy one of those 3 wheeled trikes to ride the local trails

-- Antonio Smith