I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clipless recommendations?

Okay, this is half in jest. I shall do a search and read up on clipless now that it's a good possibility for me. My plan is to ride The New Diego (like that?) for a hunert miles or so, get the cables tightened, and pick out my new pedals.

I have a pair of mtb bike shoes, Shimano SPDs, which I like and would probably want to keep using.

I hope to go clipless sooner than it took me to choose this bike, by the way...

And then there's jerseys and shorts and all of that, too.

My wallet is doomed.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode SPDs for a couple of years, but got tired of clip in problems, particularly at short traffic lights. Switched to Look style, and while I still miss a few, they're way better than SPD. YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Shimano M-324s on my Kaitai and M-324 clones on my Reno.
    These are the SPD/Platform pedals. I love 'em. The Shimanos are a little heavy but I don't race.
    OTOH, the clones -which are MUCH lighter- are on the LeMond and it goes like the wind.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SPD A-520 sport road pedals with the extra multi-release angle cleats with SPD mountain shoes. They are roadie, you can walk in them and they are easy to learn with set to mild.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Shimano M-324s on my Kaitai and M-324 clones on my Reno.
    These are the SPD/Platform pedals. I love 'em. The Shimanos are a little heavy but I don't race.
    OTOH, the clones -which are MUCH lighter- are on the LeMond and it goes like the wind.
    That's what I put on my Cannondale. I am new to clipless too, and liked the platform on one side, SPD on the other. Haven't had one single problem with them, and have yet to have any sort of mishap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Crank Brothers two-sided titanium mtb on my bike. I like that they are easy to get into, they allow me a little flex with respect to my foot angle, and I can wear shoes that allow me to walk around (even enter someone's home) while wearing my bike shoes.

Caruso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had many clipless systems over the year, but by far my favorites are the Look Keo's. Solid clip in & easy clip out - the pedals are inpregnated with tethlon and are oh so smooth. Strictly a road pedal (hey, you got such a nice bike, you gotta ride with road pedals).

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spd

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Crank Bros. I use the Candys, they are reasonable and very easy. I even think they come in red. I've had mine for over a year and haven't fallen yet. Ops, I think I just doomed myself.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keos or Shimano SPD SL (the Look equivalent). However, considering your recent knee problem, you may want to consider Speedplay. They have the most float and click in on either side. These are all good pedals and expensive and yes, you will probably have to equip ALL your bikes. I recently did the same. Tandem and two road bikes. However, if you go Speedplay, for example, you could equip your new bike and buy new rode shoes and ride your other bikes as you do now.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look here-the old style.

A lot of it is just the style you get started and used to.

seattle based cyclist merlinman's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano Dura-ace - they lock down great (high efficiency) - have sufficient float. Speedplay Frogs wear out too fast and they get real sloppy
    Andiamo!!

no longer a newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced Keo Classics with PD-A520's on 4 of my bikes, as I switched to Sidi Dominator Mega's MTB's, the road shoes were just too much when it came time to walk, or should I say, slide, a few steps.

No issues with the in and out, just a matter of getting used to it.

Paid $45 per pair on e-bay.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look or SPD-SL. Road bike. Road shoes. Road pedals. You got the real thing. Don't dilute it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bebops will work with your shoes. Take a look but they are as hard as hens teeth to find these days.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dare to be different. Go with SPD sandals and get these clip-in cycling sandals. They are comfy, efficient, you can wear them like regular sandals all year round, and you'll get tan lines that will make Paris Hilton want to jump bail.

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1218
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Okay, this is half in jest. I shall do a search and read up on clipless now that it's a good possibility for me. My plan is to ride The New Diego (like that?) for a hunert miles or so, get the cables tightened, and pick out my new pedals.

I have a pair of mtb bike shoes, Shimano SPDs, which I like and would probably want to keep using.

I hope to go clipless sooner than it took me to choose this bike, by the way...

And then there's jerseys and shorts and all of that, too.

My wallet is doomed.
    I've used Shimano 324s, 424s, and Look Keo Classics. The 424 was the easiest to clip into (it's double-sided). The Keos are a little tricky to clip into until you get used to them, but the larger cleat, combined with the stiffer soles found on road shoes, make for less foot pain on long rides.

Speedplay pedals are 2-sided, which makes for easy clip-ins, but I'm not too sure about walking around on the "clip" mechanism.

DG, all our wallets were doomed when we got the bike bug. There are lots worse things we could be spending our money on.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'm thinking about going clipless on my 'cross. I don't race, but I do find myself (not to mention inner peace) on packed gravel and occasionally mud, but nothing too sloppy. I was thinking about Crank Bros. but also M324s because I do a fair amount (50%) of riding in city traffic (lots of stops) and there are times when a platform would be pretty reassuring for a clipless noob. Would the 324s be a reasonable pedal for an occasionally dirty ride, and how's clipping out in a hurry (assuming that they're adjusted optimally)?

Oh yeah- I should mention- I do a lot of roading too, so it's not just the messy stuff.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out with SPD 545. It's a double sided platform pedal with pop up clipless bindings on both sides. They seem to be the best at straddling the fence by having platforms if you want to ride with regular shoes plus they have the bindings on both sides, so there is no searching for the right side. I have 520's on the Coda. They both worked fine as long as I remembered to unclip when stopped. It's become second nature now. I like the comfortable Nike MTB shoes I already have. Travis's suggestion of the clipless sandals has merit. They look way comfortable to me.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride Look models on two bikes, clips and straps on another. The Looks have a nice, big pedal surface to push on and clip in is natural enough. Drawbacks: pretty meaty cleat to walk on though you get used to it well enough. Look cleats seem to wear out relatively sooner than some others. About $15 - $18 a pop to replace. I like the rotation of the red cleats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For road riding: Shimano SPD-SL pedals and cleats with good road shoes. Incredibly easy to clip in and out. Nice wide platform to spread the load. Unlike the tiny SPD cleats, they are easy on the clip in and unlike the double sided pedal (which always sits with the clip side down) the SPD-SL pedals sit upright with that big gaping hole just waiting for the cleat. This is for road riding, MBT is a different story, SPD or Crank Bros are great for that use.

Now if you want to walk a lot I suggest you get some sneakers, they are great for walking. I wear my sneakers all the time unless of course I am riding my bike, then I wear my bike shoes.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Dare to be different. Go with SPD sandals and get these clip-in cycling sandals. They are comfy, efficient, you can wear them like regular sandals all year round, and you'll get tan lines that will make Paris Hilton want to jump bail.

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1218

I have a pair of those sandals and love them

I have Shimano pedals on all my bikes. The mountain bike and the 1800C road bike have the 324's. I like them because they have a platform side and I often use the 1800C when doing park events with a lot of stop and go.

I use the M540's on the Madone. I tried the SPD-SL last summer but didn't like them. It's hard to do any walking off the bike with those cleats and I didn't like waddling like a duck. They're also slippery on floors, especially tiles. I also found them just a little harder to unclip in panic mode

If you decide to go SPD-SL be sure to PM me. I have two pair I'm willing to sell cheap. One pair is SPD-SL Ultegra 6610's and the other is SPD-R540.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have knock off versions of the Shimano M-324s, One made by Welgo and the other that are Nashbar and more than likely are Welgo's also. I have them on my Recumbent and these will be on my Clyde Bike that I am building for commuting. I perfer to have a walking style of shoe when I ride due to my MTB days. I also like the freindliness of the platforms for those Inner City trips when I need to get through the intersection and then snap into the cleat.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    However, considering your recent knee problem, you may want to consider Speedplay. They have the most float and click in on either side.
    +1 to this. Keep in mind, however, that if you go with Speedplay, you'll want to get the cleat covers that go over them when you're walking. Without the covers, these things will pick up all kinds of debris and make clipping in a bit more difficult. Because they have so much float (lateral movement) many people find that it takes some time to get used to them, especially for out of the saddle climbing. IMHO they are a treasure for anyone with knee problems. I truly believe they are what saved my knees and allow me to continue riding. Hence, this would be my very first concern given your knee history.... making sure your knees hold up and allowed you to ride. Or, if you feel like being dangerous you could go with duct tape.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, speedplay. They are the only ones with decent float. The best non speedplay is 5 degrees of float, speedplays have up to 15 degrees of float. Float is the amount of side to side movement without unclipping. You can set the float on some models. They are pricey, but not as pricey as a knee replacement. Cheapest is the frog model. You also have to lube them regularly. Ditto on getting a cover for walking.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast