User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trekking bar adjustments

I put trekking bars on my bike and I think I have to extend the stem. I have a 90mm adjustable stem on it now and I was wondering if there was any way to tell what size I need, or is it just trial and error? Thanks for any replys, George
    George

My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put trekking bars on my Nishiki; it took a bit of experimentation with different stems before I found one which I liked. You might find that changing the tilt angle also helps. There were a number of threads about this a while ago; pictures as well, from what I remember.

- Wil
    "" - Marcel Marceau

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of your local shops do a Bike Fit? Just a few measurements and a few questions should be able to put you where you need to be. I have always just experimented with my bikes too, but this time I'll do the math have someone help me and get this nailed down so the only fine tuning I need will be minor.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of bars were already on your bike? If you went from typical drop bars to trekking bars, you may actually have to decrease your stem length. Try this site for some info.:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    What kind of bars were already on your bike? If you went from typical drop bars to trekking bars, you may actually have to decrease your stem length. Try this site for some info.:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html
    The bike had flatbars on it and I changed them out to trekking bars. I think I figured out the answer though. I think if I change the stem out from a 90mm to a 130mm that will put the brakes just about where they were before I changed the bars out. Thanks for the replys, George
    George

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, on my Cypress I have an adjustable two piece stem made by Delta which allows me to move the arm (the part holding the bar) up and down on the stem itself for greater or lesser height, without changing the distance the bars are from the saddle. In addition, my stem sits on several spacers to give it more height. I can make as much as about 1.25 inches in adjustment up and down if I want.
    2015 Sirrus Elite
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary, I wish you didn't buy that new bike, you got my wheels rolling again. Is that sick or what?
    George

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Thanks Gary, I wish you didn't buy that new bike, you got my wheels rolling again. Is that sick or what?
    Funny you say that, George. In my last reply I almost said "Don't get a higher stem, get a Specialized Roubaix!"
    2015 Sirrus Elite
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Funny you say that, George. In my last reply I almost said "Don't get a higher stem, get a Specialized Roubaix!"

I'm not raising them up, I'm trying to get them out farther from me, BUT I do like the way you think.
    George