I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fear my new bike may be an OCP petri dish

On a gorgeous morning here in San Diego, I was out on my new Roubaix and found my thoughts drifting like this:

* Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. Perhaps I should get a new WHITE road-bike helmet instead of this old black mountain bike helmet?

*Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. That means I can get nearly any jersey I want, and it will go with the bike. Why, I could have red one, or a blue one (I love blue!), or a green one, or a yellow one, or whatever!

* Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. My feet are getting warm in these black, heavy, mountain bike shoes. I wonder whether some of those new sandals I saw on BF or perhaps some kind of road-bike clipless shoe would be lighter and cooler in the summer months? Perhaps something in white to go with the possible new helmet as well as the bike?

I never thought I had any OCP genes in me. Now I have discovered they were simply latent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Digital Gee; 05-08-07 at 02:18 PM.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bwhahahahaha, it took awhile, but we've finally sucked you in to our web of bicycle slavery. Bow down before you two-wheeled master.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how was the ride?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    * Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. Perhaps I should get a new WHITE road-bike helmet instead of this old black mountain bike helmet?
    Yes, that is OCP. Match it all together with a red/white Toupe (if you don't have one already)

*Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. That means I can get nearly any jersey I want, and it will go with the bike. Why, I could have red one, or a blue one (I love blue!), or a green one, or a yellow one, or whatever!
    Not quite OCP. If you go with colors not on the bike, they must compliment, and match within your outfit. Make sense?

* Hmmm...the bike's almost all white with some great red accents, and a red water bottle cage. My feet are getting warm in these black, heavy, mountain bike shoes. I wonder whether some of those new sandals I saw on BF or perhaps some kind of road-bike clipless shoe would be lighter and cooler in the summer months? Perhaps something in white to go with the possible new helmet as well as the bike?
    Clipless sandals is NOT OCP. It's Fred. White road shoes, on the other hand, are QUITE OCP and dern sexay, if I do say so myself.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found this on line:

2012 Masi Evoluzione

staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no no, THIS:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't it Yoda who said that in order to be complete we must embrace the dark side? I know all my purchases have an eye to color.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fancy this:

Got one in yellow for my wife. Italian all the way.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    But how was the ride?
    It was simply sublime. 20 miles, and had I more time, I would have doubled that easily. Getting used to the saddle (Avatar Gel) and had a pretty good time of it.

At various points, I had one hand tingle, one foot tingle, and even "the boys" complain a bit -- but standing up, or shaking my hand, or wiggling my foot and all was well again. I'm not even sure whether I should tweak anything because these complaints were minor and disappeared quickly. I think maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the bike?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Wasn't it Yoda who said that in order to be complete we must embrace the dark side? I know all my purchases have an eye to color.....
    My Tandem is Blue but If I buy Blue accesories to go with it- They are not the same shade of blue so it looks odd. BUT If I buy red accessories- then they can be in any shade of red and they look right. Or I can say- I don't care about the Bl**dy colour- Does the damn thing work.

Found this with the "Anthracite" with red accented Road bike too. All the red extras are different shades and they all stand out.

But with a main colour of white- Then anything will go with it. White helmet and shoes go well and if you look in the Sale bins long enough- Then I feel certain that some of the lurid coloured 80's Lycra will turn up somewhere, and that will always go with white.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you truly want to embrace your OCPness (heh, I said Pness), do not get any helmet that comes with a visor. Superdex has the right idea.

Blue kit? Oh, lord no. Not with that bike. Black, white, and red. No red shorts. And no white shorts.

Black, red, or white water bottle cages.

Nice bike!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fancy this:

Got one in yellow for my wife. Italian all the way.

I have this one in yellow, too
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are a must for that bike.

Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I have this one in yellow, too
    I bet your average speed increased a couple of MPH once you strapped that baby on!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet your average speed increased a couple of MPH once you strapped that baby on!
    That remains to be seen - I've only had it a couple weeks.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to here your first ride on the bike was good. The hand, feet and boy do need to get used to the ride, but you did exactly the correct thing, chnage positions and such.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons why I put a yellow bottle cage on my red bike was to break the OCP aura and thus enable me to wear whatever colors I wished. I wear a silver helmet and tend to favor blue jerseys ($9 Champion C9 jerseys from Target).
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's got to be the best thread title yet.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    On a gorgeous morning here in San Diego, I was out on my new Roubaix and found my thoughts drifting like this:

I never thought I had any OCP genes in me. Now I have discovered they were simply latent.
    No green jersey - you'll resemble a Christmas tree

OCP happens to everyone once they get that shiny new road bike
    I've been hunting a light blue jersey to match the lettering on mine.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brushed stainless water bottle cages with black trim. Ultralight aluminium. TACX Taco cages. You can have them for free. Get your own titanium bolts roadie. Matches white very well in that brutally machinelike style. Silver or aluminium helmet White Jersey Black spandex Grey hair.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=HopedaleHills]These are a must for that bike.

What? MTB pedals on a road bike? Definitely not OCP. Try these:
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, If you really want to go OCP check out the Specialized Riders Club premium membership. For $49 bucks you get a red and white club jersey that's was designed to go with your bike! They also toss in a couple of magazine subscriptions and misc other trinkets.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Deegee, Grasshopper, do you not see that embracing the OCP while discarding your natural Fredness is like embracing only the yang, the aggressive and assertive while discarding the quieter and simpler joys of the yin?

Once you were simple and wise, an uncarved block of cycling Fredness. Now you are sophisticated, taking great actions to achieve uncertain OCP results.

The wise have ever said thus: Stay balanced. Wear both your old helmet and your fancy new silken jersey. Ride a fine bicyce but wear your comfy cycling sandals as you spin the great chain ring of life. Then, unbound by OCP road shoes, you will depart from your bike able to walk a free man, without clatter, without falling on your butt.

Keep the balance of yin and yang, lest you tip over, a victim of the road rash of ambition.

In other words, embrace, the eternal tao, my friend, but above all, leave the petri dish of OCP back in the laboratory of the ego, and simply have a kickass good time.

PS--I haven't dropped a single tab of acid all day.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 05-08-07 at 07:22 PM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Yeah, it seems you managed to hold onto all of them
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Ah, Deegee, Grasshopper, do you not see that embracing the OCP while discarding your natural Fredness is like embracing only the yang, the aggressive and assertive while discarding the quieter and simpler joys of the yin?

Once you were simple and wise, an uncarved block of cycling Fredness. Now you are sophisticated, taking great actions to achieve uncertain OCP results.

The wise have ever said thus: Stay balanced. Wear both your old helmet and your fancy new silken jersey. Ride a fine bicyce but wear your comfy cycling sandals as you spin the great chain ring of life. Then, unbound by OCP road shoes, you will depart from your bike able to walk a free man, without clatter, without falling on your butt.

Keep the balance of yin and yang, lest you tip over, a victim of the road rash of ambition.

In other words, embrace, the eternal tao, my friend, but above all, leave the petri dish of OCP back in the laboratory of the ego, and simply have a kickass good time.

That sounded more like peyote induced rambling to me anyway.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast