Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally Getting a Bit in Shape

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 02:15 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Due to the weather and some other personal and my wife's medical stuff, I have had a hard time "getting in shape" this year.

So, today, I finally got 33.6 miles in on a ride. My longest ride this year has been about 21 miles. Now, I know that jppe and Will and many others have many longer rides, but for me this is a nice achievement, given all the circumstances.

FYI, I rode on the trails that abut my home and follow our local creek. In the 33.6 miles out and back I crossed 4 small, little-used residential streets, each twice for a total of 8 crossings. Otherwise, it was smooth sailing. I coul have added another 15 miles on this same trail system, while crossing 2 more streets. Or, I could have taken the connector trail to 100's of miles more of riding, again with just a few street crossings. I saw lots of bicyclists, a number of walkers, no loose dogs, and lots of birds and trees. A beautiful day with the temp right now at 63F, although it was chillier this am.

That's it. I feel great!
Old 05-08-07, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have had a lot of problems getting in shape this year too. Last few weeks I am riding some, up to 50 miles. Its GREAT is it not!
Old 05-08-07, 02:22 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better late than never, DF.

Keep those cranks turnin' and the legs burnin', and you'll know you're still alive!
Old 05-08-07, 05:08 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good to hear the stars are finally aligning to where you can get back out and get in some miles. The amount is not important as you well know-just spending some time out on the trails and roads is what is important and of high value.
Old 05-08-07, 06:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 with jppe. Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity of riding-- getting your schedule to make space, getting into the rhythm....making it a natural part of your schedule again.
Old 05-08-07, 06:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
+1 with jppe. Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity of riding-- getting your schedule to make space, getting into the rhythm....making it a natural part of your schedule again.
Well, I have generally been riding about 100-120 miles per week in 20 mile rides the last few weeks. However, I do find that longer rides are essential to more fitness/endurance.
Old 05-08-07, 06:41 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Due to the weather and some other personal and my wife's medical stuff, I have had a hard time "getting in shape" this year.
Nice to hear things are settling down and you can get back in shape. I find it doesn't take too long once I get back into a regular ride routine.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-08-07, 06:54 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity.
That's exactly why I use Metamucil.