Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Finally Getting a Bit in Shape (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/296074-finally-getting-bit-shape.html)

DnvrFox 05-08-07 02:15 PM

Finally Getting a Bit in Shape

Due to the weather and some other personal and my wife's medical stuff, I have had a hard time "getting in shape" this year.

So, today, I finally got 33.6 miles in on a ride. My longest ride this year has been about 21 miles. Now, I know that jppe and Will and many others have many longer rides, but for me this is a nice achievement, given all the circumstances.

FYI, I rode on the trails that abut my home and follow our local creek. In the 33.6 miles out and back I crossed 4 small, little-used residential streets, each twice for a total of 8 crossings. Otherwise, it was smooth sailing. I coul have added another 15 miles on this same trail system, while crossing 2 more streets. Or, I could have taken the connector trail to 100's of miles more of riding, again with just a few street crossings. I saw lots of bicyclists, a number of walkers, no loose dogs, and lots of birds and trees. A beautiful day with the temp right now at 63F, although it was chillier this am.

That's it. I feel great!

howsteepisit 05-08-07 02:19 PM

I have had a lot of problems getting in shape this year too. Last few weeks I am riding some, up to 50 miles. Its GREAT is it not!

SSP 05-08-07 02:22 PM

Better late than never, DF.

Keep those cranks turnin' and the legs burnin', and you'll know you're still alive!

jppe 05-08-07 05:08 PM

Good to hear the stars are finally aligning to where you can get back out and get in some miles. The amount is not important as you well know-just spending some time out on the trails and roads is what is important and of high value.

CrossChain 05-08-07 06:25 PM

+1 with jppe. Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity of riding-- getting your schedule to make space, getting into the rhythm....making it a natural part of your schedule again.

DnvrFox 05-08-07 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
+1 with jppe. Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity of riding-- getting your schedule to make space, getting into the rhythm....making it a natural part of your schedule again.

Well, I have generally been riding about 100-120 miles per week in 20 mile rides the last few weeks. However, I do find that longer rides are essential to more fitness/endurance.

Beverly 05-08-07 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Due to the weather and some other personal and my wife's medical stuff, I have had a hard time "getting in shape" this year.

Nice to hear things are settling down and you can get back in shape. I find it doesn't take too long once I get back into a regular ride routine.

The Weak Link 05-08-07 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Mileage isn't the bugaboo when getting back into it....it's regularity.

That's exactly why I use Metamucil.