Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to sit back and relax.

Well, seven months after my surgery and I can only manage to ride 16 miles without having more pain than I think it's wise to ignore. Today I went to the local recumbent dealer and tried out a few of those rolling lawn chairs. I left after ordering a Rans F5 Enduro. Fortunately, I live in an area where the roads are flat and the traffic sparse so I might survive learning how to keep the thing upright. Do you think tomorrow is to soon to start calling the dealer to ask: "Is it here yet?"

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do whatever it takes (see pic)

So how much you want for the Schwinns?
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ridden long wheel base bents. Don't know how a short wheel base one rides at all. How did you do on your test ride?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I've only ridden long wheel base bents. Don't know how a short wheel base one rides at all. How did you do on your test ride?
    I felt like a passenger. I guess it's like starting over... without the training wheels.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Do whatever it takes (see pic)

So how much you want for the Schwinns?
    Nothing is for sale at the moment. In time, I will probably ride them more... just not for long distances.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will enjoy your 'lounge chair on wheels' ... May feel twitchy at first, or unstable, but give it a little time and you will be gliding down the road...
    l have a long wheel base Linear
    and a short wheel base Lightning P-38...and enjoy em both
    peace

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    I felt like a passenger. I guess it's like starting over... without the training wheels.
    Shouldn't take long to get used to the new bike. I had one very similar to this pass me on the river trail Monday evening like I was standing still. I checked and I was doing 14 mph at the time
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look like they'd be a blast to ride. Let us know how it works for you. They look fast even standing still.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing is for sale at the moment. In time, I will probably ride them more... just not for long distances.
    That's what I said at first. The first year, I rode the old road bike twice. The next year I rode it once. The third year I sold it to a co-worker who then complained it was possessed and made him ride too fast.

I hear that the F-5 Enduro can be ordered set up for road, for those who only ride on relatively OK roads. I understand RANS' strategy of letting the road market go in favor of being the only ones marketing a fat-tire highracer, but I'm disappointed that they didn't leave the roadie version in their catalog.

Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that no matter how hard I tried on my SWB bent, I was not comfortably balanced, especially uphill.

Then I discovered that the problem went away gradually over time. There is no substitute for just letting your brain re-learn how to balance subconsciously. Trying harder just made it frustrating, for me.

I relaxed, and it happened all by itself, eventually.
    No worries

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High racers are a bit extreme for a first recumbent. But if you stay with it, you'll probably like it. I love my Bacchetta Corsa.

More people start out with a CLWB recumbent. They are easier to ride if you have never been on a recumbent before. My wife's first recumbent was one, an EZ-1. After she went over the handlebars of her hybrid, and never seemed to get over her fear of it after that, I bought her the EZ-1. She soon loved it, and said she never wanted to ride anything else.

But I knew that many people find an LWB more comfortable and smoother riding, so after a year, I talked her into test riding my Rans Nimbus. The only way I got that Nimbus back from her was by buying her a Rans Stratus. Now, she loves it and swears she never wants to ride anything else. But who knows, maybe in a year or so, we'll be twinkies on side by side high racers.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    That's what I said at first. The first year, I rode the old road bike twice. The next year I rode it once. The third year I sold it to a co-worker who then complained it was possessed and made him ride too fast.
    Yep, recumbents are a slippery slope into oblivion. I waited 9 months after buying my first bent before putting my two Campy equipped road bikes, a Serotta and an Eisentraut, up for sale. Never looked back.
    Dennis T