Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Medical Alert systems (way OT)

I know this is way, way off topic, but I'm looking for advice and hoping someone around here might know something.

My mother lives alone and has reached the age where we (and she) feels like she needs some kind of medical alarm type device... a device she can wear around her neck that has an alarm she can press to request help if she falls, passes out, or otherwise cannot reach a phone to request emergency help. There seem to be a number of companies out there, with a range of prices for services. Does anyone have advice regarding companies worth considering or avoiding, or alternatives to this type of device, etc.?

Thanks so much, and again, apologies for the off-topic post.

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radio Shack has a programmable dialer with a pendant. You program in contact numbers. It's not connected to a service.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucie
    It's not connected to a service.
    Didn't know that was an option. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do go to a non-"commercial" service make sure that one of the numbers is answerable twenty-four hours a day as us old types have a habit of getting up at O'dark thirty and doing silly things like falling and not being able to get up. Don't know how many times that if it wasn't for an alert device that someone would have laid on the floor for hours or days 'til somebody found them that I had contact with in my career who needed help in the middle of the night or day. Check with her local hospital as they usually have knowledge of what's available in Mom's area. I can't recommend this type of a device highly enough for somebody who lives alone and who maybe might need one even if they don't right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points, especially checking with the hospital. Thanks, medi!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently went through this with my mother, who had to use her service.

I suggest that you first check with the local or assigned EMT service or closest hospital for any thoughts or recommendations. Patient services can probably help.

I strongly recommend that you get a service, rather than just free lance and program numbers into a Radio Shack purchase. The service will ensure that she gets help and that someone knows the situation. Picture an emergency on a Saturday night when all the people connected to the "programmed numbers" are out on the town. A reputable one-call service will ensure that someone gets to her, even if the EMT/fire/police have to break the door down.

Minutes count.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are the best! Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got one for my mom (93 yo), after she did fall, broke her wrist, and couldn't get up. Fortunately my sister was also there, and was able to get an ambulance, etc. Otherwise, we don't know how long she would have been on the floor.

Ours is connected to a service.