Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone here just "ride"?

I see so much talk (see talk? Uhhh, OK) about training here. Intervals, spinning classes, etc.
    Does anyone just ride for riding's own sake? I mean, I ride and I ride hard. I push up the hills, I LOOK for the hills ('course my longest unboken climb to date, I think, is 1/2 mile. I'll take it, I guess), I work to get my cadence up smoothly, I like to push to see just how fast I can go all on my own but nothing planned out, nothing organized. Sure, I want to improve. But doesn't that just come with doing? I just love being in the saddle, period. Sometimes, I'll even just coast along so I can smell the roses, so to speak. Am I really doing myself that much of a disservice?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm to old to train anymore. I just like to ride. I guess the more I ride then the better I am trained. If not, then the Fun wins.

Is that a win/win?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to, before I bought bike shorts.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naah, everyone's bee essing on this site. I ride for grins. When I want to put up fancy stats, I hop in my car and turn on the Garmin. No one can tell the difference when I download to MotionBased.

I was test riding a bike with a 53/39 double. Not for me. It went too fast. That and it was a beeyotch to get up hills. So I ordered a triple.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you I work to see improvement but nothing organized. If it ever quits being fun I won't even bother getting the bikes out of the garage.

I enjoy the ride but I enjoy the time spent with my friends after the rides even more The park biking program runs April through October but the group still gets together for breakfast once a month during the winter months just to keep in touch.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I used to, before I bought bike shorts.
    Bibs! You bought bibs! That is way beyond "slippery slope". You will never have fun riding again.
    Come back home Terrierman, we miss you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "just riding" YES,to be found in THIS forum,50+ more than others. The larger questions are: training;I'm more the type to not organize and keep control-data on my riding,I push myself when I'm in the mood.In so far as talking about bikes just to talk..GUILTY as charged,I am that is. Cycling isn't so very different than other realms in that sense.I'm a musician,I've friends that are world famous ones,some compose and these individuals pay little attention to "havin' a sweet ax",they simply enjoy and pursue the music itself. One or two in particular are quite obcessed with "collecting" instuments for the sake of instruments.One man,a base guitar player,has the same base for years or decades at a time,others tune it for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My philosophy is get the best stuff you can possibly afford...then just ride.

Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I push myself sometimes, but I do not train.

I have NO desire to do intyercals, repeats, LT rides etc... I want to ride hard when I feel like riding hard, and ride slow when I feel like riding slow. If I ride with someone, they are likely to leave me in the dust, or we have a good conversation...

I thought of doing a TT at the senior games some time in the next couple of years, but if I do, it is unlikely to do very well, because I probably won't train.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Training here. Not enough time with Two jobs to do it the way people feel it should be done. So I make time to ride and just do that. I need to get back to the HellBent for Breakfast rides here. Nice pace Recumbent ride, out to the Dinner for Breakfast, and then back home. It's a neat ride and one that I enjoy very much!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride because:

You can eat more
    It's fun
    It's better than sitting on the couch
    It's fun
    It's outside
    It's fun
    The gloves and sunglasses thing is cool
    It's the only way I'll ever get a woman to look at my butt
    Did I mention it was fun
    I can belong to this forum
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ride. I like to take trips, but it's just riding. I am not concerned with speed, or anything else. I ride for enjoyment. If it ever becomes anything else, I'll probably stop.

seattle based cyclist merlinman's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do both. I "train" 2 days a week (intervals and hills). 1 day is a group ride - hills and distance - and totally fun. the other 3 days are "recovery rides" - 1 1/2 hours or so - and are great fun - relaxing - smell the roses. and one day off. It is a program - but it leaves plenty of time for fun riding. and it does not preclude going back out after either training or recovery rides for another spin on my fixie or rando bike. Like today for instance. Fabulous day in the great Northwest - sunny and mild. Did my program early this am - and going to have a really nice cruise this afternoon to check out the gardens in the area.
    Andiamo!!

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    Does anyone just ride for riding's own sake? I mean, I ride and I ride hard. I push up the hills, I LOOK for the hills
    You'd like our hills
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride for transportation, for recreation, and for mental, emotional and physical health. I have never been good enough to race, and I don't currently have time or inclination to agonize over optimizing my training schedule. When I am out on Coast Highway 101, I pass all the casual riders, and the hard-core triatheltes and bike racers pass me, and my only serious aspiration is to remain in my niche between the two groups.

I still do like hills.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    I pass all the casual riders, and the hard-core triatheltes and bike racers pass me, and my only serious aspiration is to remain in my niche between the two groups.
    Hey, that's my niche
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do a lot of just riding, I also have started to "train", by doing some intervals. As much as I swore it did not matter to me, I cannot stand being the slowest one on long rides.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ride. Why take the fun and enjoyment out of it.

It's a great way to sightsee.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Naah, everyone's bee essing on this site. I ride for grins. When I want to put up fancy stats, I hop in my car and turn on the Garmin. No one can tell the difference when I download to MotionBased.

I was test riding a bike with a 53/39 double. Not for me. It went too fast. That and it was a beeyotch to get up hills. So I ordered a triple.
    I predict that once you start riding your new Buenos Aires that before long you will forget all about that small front ring. It is nice to have for emergencies, but I bet you will rarely use it in real life......the bike is that good
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Just Riding" is all I do. Last night I put in 7 miles. It was on a ruler flat, limestone rail trail. I was out enjoying near perfect weather, looking at the flowers (trillium is in bloom), enjoying the breeze, exercising my legs, and ridiing at 10-12 mph. Ride took about 45 minutes and I spotted 8 rabbits along the way. Felt great afterward.

I don't do intervals, avoid hills like the plague, and couldn't care less if a 90 yr old man drops me.

I did find that I was able to cruise at one gear higher than I was doing 2 weeks ago, so that felt good. Perhaps I gained 0.5 mph.

My least used gear is my top gear (48:11). The only times I've ever been in that gear was when I was adjusting my derailleurs and I was testing to make sure it was shifting out to the "extremes." I've ridden about 45 miles in the past 6 days and I haven't been in either of my top two gears even one time. Last night I did the entire 7 miles all on the 2nd crank and the 3rd through 6th cogs (out of 8).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    before long you will forget all about that small front ring
    I'll second that. The only time mine sees any action on the LeMond is up a long (for me), stiff climb.

Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    You'd like our hills
    I don't know if it's a trick of the camera, or what, but that looks pretty brutal. Not super steep, but loooong. I'd do it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopeDaleHills
    It's the only way I'll ever get a woman to look at my butt
    One thing I forgot ro mention: the other night I went out and got two, count 'em, TWO, "Hey Baby"s
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 05-09-07 at 01:42 PM.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the second hill in a series of three rising from Georgian Bay, up the Niagara Escarpement (that's my wife catching up to me)...1100' vertical over 5km...part of a 75km loop that we do at least twice a month...when you get to the top, you fly down, then have to go back up again

My daughter's BF got a speeding ticket going down on his old Trek a few years ago...95km/hr in an 80km/hr zone

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not doing it this year but I normally do a big ride In June. This is hard. A 12 hour slog offroad for 100 miles with 10,000ft of climbing-That is hard. I start training for this ride just after christmas and it is a couple of sessions at the gym each week and the weekend rides get a lot of effort put into them. Then in April I start with a couple of extra rides in the week. A 20 mile road route that is flat but taken at speed and a 30 offroad that takes in 2,000ft of hard hills. When I get so that I can do the 30 miles at an average of 12mph then I am getting somewhere near fit. Then the ride day comes and you realise that most of the training has been for when it starts hurting so it was the mental training that pays off more.

Then I stop training- I don't care to be the first one up the hills- The midweek rides are for pleasure and do not have to be done at speed or take in the steep hills. I relax on the rides. Sometime between July and November I will get in a few Metrics and a couple of 100mile road rides but theses are taken at my leisure. A few offroad day trips are made for around 60 to 70 miles but even these are taken at a speed I am comfortable with. I stop training and just go out and ride.

This year I have been getting out on the road bike in the week and only a leisurely 30 to 40 miles at weekends. I am going to pay for this as I am going on holiday in a months time to France. The road bike is going with me as there is a hill I have been told about. The TDF does it occasionally so it is my goal for this year to climb it. I had better get my climbing frame of mind back as I reckon it will take a bit longer than 2 hours climbing for an untrained cyclist with a "NEWISH" bike to climb Mt. Ventoux.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    its the second hill in a series of three rising from Georgian Bay, up the Niagara Escarpement (that's my wife catching up to me)...1100' vertical over 5km...
    Which comes out to ~7%... wow, nice climb. In a couple of weeks, I'm gonna be tackling my 2 mile 7% climb (average... sometimes less, sometimes more) out of town. I've done it two or three times (heh. can't remember) on my Kaitai and I had to stop 5 or 6 times before the top. I did make it to the top, though, in the end (I posted about this way back when). I haven't tried it in months and certainly not since I got the new bike. I am itching

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast