Thread: Yah hooooooo!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah hooooooo!

I should preface this by saying that I'm married to the bestest wife in the whole world.

We will be celebrating our 29th (year!) anniversary soon. I told her I wanted a new road bike. I've been studying and came to the conclusion that the LeMond Reno is a ton of bike for the money.

My wife spoke with The Turk, a hard core hammerhead that I don't always get along with. "Tell your husband he needs a really expensive bike. He has an inner roadie that needs to be released".

So we're driving down to the LBS. I tell her a Reno would suit my needs. She starts telling me I need a much more expensive bike. I tell her about the law of diminishing returns, that beyond a certain quality level that you're just getting bling.

I ride the Reno for about 45 minutes. I love it. It feels like a jet fighter compared to my Wahoo. It climbs like a scalded monkey and is stable at speed. It has a bit of roadbuzz. Not bad, though.

When I return to the LBS, awaiting me is a Lemond Buenos Aires.

"Just try it once", my wife says. The salesman winks.

So I go do the same course on the B.A. It handles about the same. Climbs even better because it's a bit lighter. But the huge difference is in the comfort. Minimal roadbuzz. Handled chip-and-fill crap with ease.

It also had a 53/39 chainring. Not for me. I can get up the hills but I need the comfort of some nice low sit and spin gears.

"Well, how did you like it?" asks the saleman, as if there's a chance I don't like it as much as the Reno. He has been brainwashing my wife the entire time I've been gone. She has her checkbook out (I can't afford full carbon, but if she's gonna pay for it......)

Within five minutes I going through the store looking for red cages, red gloves, red helmet, and red jerseys, to match the red paint of the Buenos Aires. If you're going over to the Dark Side, there's no use fighting it. Resistence is futile.

The bike gets in Monday (because I wanted a triple).

Did I say that I have the greatest wife in the universe?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your wife is the absolute greatest!! Congratulations and I hope you've planned a great anniversary celebration for her.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: The wife. You do, you surely do (next to my Lovey of course). Congratulations on knowing it for so long.

RE: The bike. And congratulations on a nice new bike.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post photo...

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100% -I HAVE to- that the Reno is a ton'o bike for the money, especially when you buy one on sale, as I did. I also have to agree that the Buenos Aires would be a few more pounds than a ton. My wife tolerated me buying a Reno, your wife bought a Buenos Aires for you. Oh man, maybe you DO have the greatest wife in the world (then, we've only been married for 24 years. Maybe in 5 more years... nah). Of course, my wife did buy the Kaitai for me and that's how this whole mess started. OK, I call it a draw. Wait! Did you cry when she pulled out the checkbook?

Anyway, seriously, good on ya for getting the new LeMond. If you love yours just half as much as I love mine... oh heck, you will... believe me.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! They BOTH are special! Congrats on getting a Great bike!

The ONE thing the wife cautiioned me on when I started a few weeks ago at the Bike Shop is that no NEW little two wheeled items would come home with me.... I wonder if that's why the Shop has extra Hooks in the Basement for Employee's bikes! LOL!

All the best to you and your wife! Happy Anniversary!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    IMy wife tolerated me buying a Reno, your wife bought a Buenos Aires for you. Oh man, maybe you DO have the greatest wife in the world (then, we've only been married for 24 years. Maybe in 5 more years... nah).
    Maybe there IS hope for me then! With that line of thinking my wife of 32 years in June should be buying me at least a Zurich! Who here is going to tell her what is expected of her! LMAO!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 50+ BF'er just bought a Buenos Aires (Grampster), here is his:

When you post your pictures, I better see a matching kit, cages, pedals, helmet, etc.

Congrats on an awesome bike!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great wife, great bike. Many happy miles of smiles. BTW, I know what you mean about the Wahoo, I love mine in the dirt but riding it on the road is painful.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Another 50+ BF'er just bought a Buenos Aires (Grampster),
    Yep, that's me with my new Buenos Aires and I can only tell you that you have made one of the best bicycling decisions of your life (or rather your wonderful wife seems to have made it for you). Are you ready to concede that The Turk was right? We'll agree that no one needs to drop 2 large on a bike, especially when you can get very, very nice bikes for half that. But you have been riding long enough to recognize that this bike represents something beyond just the intrinsic value of carbon fiber and 105's and Bontrager's...it truly makes you one with the bike and one with the road......and wait until you get to some hills, it climbs better than any bike I have ever ridden. Tell us more come Monday.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a wife. Mine did basically the same thing so I could buy/build up my Mercian. Its much nicer than I would have treated myself to. Here's to the wives who understand!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - congrats on the new bike!

- you're a lucky man (and i am too, as my wife encourages me to ride every day, and doesn't mind that i have a nice sampling of Ti, CF, and steel in the garage)...

- on the other hand, i work in the yard, wash windows, and around the house i cook, i clean, i wear pretty things!

:-)

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific story! You're going to love that bike in a number of different ways!!!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, even more new bikes!

My only reservation would be if your wife has a huge list of chores waiting to balance the equation.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    Another 50+ BF'er just bought a Buenos Aires (Grampster), here is his:

When you post your pictures, I better see a matching kit, cages, pedals, helmet, etc.

That's what I'm talking about. I get giddy looking at that picture.

I'm just nitpicking, but the jersey, water bottles, and helmet don't match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link

The coolest thing in that picture (OK, maybe the Buenos Aires is a tiny bit more so) is the Washington Nationals black baseball cap.

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just nitpicking, but the jersey, water bottles, and helmet don't match
    And this is how it starts, eh?
    Shoot me before I get to this point... although I REFUSE to put a silver bottle cage on my LeMond with the black one it has on it now. I will be putting two silver ones on it I guess... my LBS can't keep black in stock it seems
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Please post photo...

Of what- The wife or the bike? Or both.

Weak Link.

My worry would be that if the wife paid for it- It would come out of the joint account.

I have to admit that I am a mountain biker with a road bike. BUT that road bike is getting more use now that I have it dialled in and a couple of changes. I bought the economy version- The Giant OCR1 as this would be good enough for my type of riding. Only problem is that the LBS has a TCR in stock in my size and I keep looking at it.
    Glad to see that the wife has more sense than you. Even more glad that you have the patience to wait for a triple. With My legs- on my hills- I have no objection from getting a bit of assistance from my Granny. She gets me up hills that 30 year olds on normal road gearing are struggling up.

Pics are required- of the wife and the bike. I know what the bike looks like- But I want to know what a caring- sharing wife looks like.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Only problem is that the LBS has a TCR in stock in my size and I keep looking at it.
    TCR = Good

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    And this is how it starts, eh?
    Shoot me before I get to this point... although I REFUSE to put a silver bottle cage on my LeMond with the black one it has on it now. I will be putting two silver ones on it I guess... my LBS can't keep black in stock it seems
    Go for silver - stainless steel. Black marks all over a water bottle from aluminum bottle cages don't go well with any color bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my cool weather gear...I have to admit that I have a red set for when it warms up....but the black Washington Nationals cap stays.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Washington D.C. and was a big fan of the old Washington Senators. I was glad to see that the hat for the Nats looks a lot like the old Nats hat.

Also, I was really struggling with my mountain bike riding for a long time. One of the folks locally suggested that I'd be better on the trails if I did conditioning, especially LSD rides, on the road. He hit the proverbial nail with the third strike, right down the plate and through the uprights. Not only can I climb much better than I used to, but for some reason I'm clearing logs and such that I used to be terrified of. And my complection is also clearing up.

The downside of all of this is that I had a bunch of work I was supposed to do, but I can't concentrate on it right now. I think that's called Acute Carbon Intoxication.