User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hill didn't look too bad

Silly me. Just came in from one of those perfect rides. Set off for a 20-25 mile loop, no real destination, no real time schedule. Stopped to make friends with a 2-wk old colt, watched deer grazing on the hill above a small reservoir, spotted pelicans and tons of water fowl . . . and looked at a road from the dam to the top of Antelope Hill.

I've avoided this climb for years because it always looked long and steep and just not a lot of fun. But my neighbor came back last week bragging about climbing the hill and my macho gene kicked in. Suddenly that hill did not look too steep, and certainly not too long! The sun was out, I had the time . . . what the heck!

Much to my surprise, I plowed up that road without any problem. Did not set a speed record, but found my granny gear on the new bike was more than adequate for the challenge. And the view from the top was spectacular! Did the math when I got home -- it was a 13 percent grade for .7 miles. Not Tour de France kind of stuff, but challenging enough for me after 20+ miles.

Now I'm thinking of tackling a couple of other routes I've avoided because I've told myself I'm can't possibly do it.
    I'm sure nobody else has this same mental flaw
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspirational!
    Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

"Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know.... .7 mile of a 13% grade sounds pretty good to me, after 20 miles or no....
    A climb like that is my personal L'Alp D'Huez

Way to go!
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills are 'almost' never fun but it is always good to know that you have conquered one. ...peace

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The time before last when I went to the Texas Hill Country, I felt just like you. I got to some hills and I told myself, if I go that way I have to come back the same way. I didn't go because I talked myself out of it. I went again about a month ago, and made up my mind to hit anything that came along. I did and had a ball. On one climb that had to be about 5 miles long, I probably should call it a steep grade. I thought it was the wind or something and when I stopped and turned around to look, I couldn't believe it, what a climb ( to me) anyhow. I took off down hill going about 25 mph and never pedaled once. Now I can't wait to go back.
    George

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    ... made up my mind to hit anything that came along.
    Suddenly I'm nostalgic for my misspent youth.

But we're supposed to be talking about bicycles, aren't we?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills are our friends...........

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I think that phrase was first breathlessly uttered by someone who had just ridden up a nasty hill on a bicycle.

Way to go.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on conquering that hill!

Since I bought the new road bike I find myself climbing hills I never thought were possible for me. Last year the BF took me on a hill climbing ride in one of the local parks. It's a long uphill climb over a dam and the last leg of the hill is rather steep. He told me I probably wouldn't be able to climb it on my first try. Well, that's all it took I was in the granny gear when I reached the top but I made it He never mentioned I might not be able to climb a hill again
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Hills are our friends...........
    With friends like that, who needs enemies.......

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    I thought it was, What doesn't kill you just postpones the inevitable.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent a road bike out to my 29 year old son. He was a mt. bike only type. He wanted to get into shape and loose some weight(sound farmilar). Anyway he called me several weeks later and asked how do you get up hills on a road bike? I was almost on the floor laughing. I told him climbing hills on a road bike is an aquired skill that takes climbing many hills.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills are the great adversaries that make us better. I look forward to them and believe me, I suck on climbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, now you OWN that hill.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    Hey, now you OWN that hill.
    +1, from here on out, it shall be known as Penguin Pass.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come August I now know I can find a sweet treat at the top of the climb!

Penguin Pass to Antelope Hill . . . home of the best peach and cherry orchards in Delta County!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working on a 3 mile hill, and getting better all the time, soon, hopefully I will get up it without any stops, then I will try to get faster up it!?!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    +1, from here on out, it shall be known as Penguin Pass.
    It has to be called that- On our rides we have Barry's Bush, Mikes marker, (Upright post in the middle of a trail that Mike just rode into) Dougs ****-My own personal one and was a 2 ft deep Rut that I did a somersault into when it was full of water, and the best one is Martyns Seat. 110kg rider that struggled up a particular offroad hill for 3 years, then suddenly he was there and beat us all to the top. When we came across him- he was still trying to get his breath back lying down on the bench. And still was 5 minutes later. But he has never beaten us up the hill since.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! A hill or a mountain beaten into submission is a good thing, then there are the payoffs for the work, the view, and the ride down.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess someone must have known all along that I would finally acheive my most recent conquest - Brasstown BALD
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.