Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife had a stroke

I was setting my bike up for some touring and getting ready to buy a BOB. Well it seems like my life aways has something going on, some bad, some good. My wife and I were riding around the neighborhood and she stopped and started falling to her left. I said what's wrong are you alright, she said I'm a little tired, and headed for the house. I said, I'm going to knock out a few more miles and I'll see you at home. I got home and took a shower and jumped on the forum. She came in and started to say somthing and I couldn't understand a word. Then it dawned on me, she's having a stroke. Two years ago she had a stint put in her brain and we have to watch that pretty close with her actions. Anyhow she's home again and she has to go through all kinds of therapy for a while and I have to stay near the house. The reason I didn't write anything sooner, I was hoping for the best, not to be. I take my hat off to you guys that can take off anytime you feel like it, and go touring. There're probably never be a perfect time to go, so just do it when you can get some spare time, before you look back and say, I wish I done that. I'm pretty happy with all the things we've done, and I know we'll be doing a lot more, but I don't think I'll be going very far for a while. I'm in a pretty nice area for riding and the doctor said, she should start off easy and everything will be fine. When we got outside, she said let's go home and go out for a short ride. I said, I think we'll wait until you quit falling over and get this thing healed up. So anyhow,I vented and I'm glad to be part of a forum so I can talk to someone. Have fun and ride safe, George
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to hear things like this, George. Give my best wishes for a speedy recovery to your wife.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, man. Hoping for the best!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there, George, and keep us up to date. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sorry to hear about the wife. She is very lucky to have someone so supportive as yourself.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and your wife are in my prayers George. Hope you are both out riding and enjoying life together real soon.

Mike

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vent any time, for as long as you want, George. When you post here, you're among friends and even more importantly, people who know (or have a good idea) of whatever stuff you have to go through. So keep venting, George. Our thoughts will be with you and your wife.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the get wells, but my wife and I were just talking about some of the things she was trying to say. She said that I should wait to get another bike and I said, that you said to get one, go figure. The sixth day and everything is working out pretty good, thanks again, George
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, that's not the kind of news we want to read around here.
    My sister is recovering from 2 strokes she had in March. It's not a lot of fun but she's no quitter.

Your wife is lucky to have you there.
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Keep fighting
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    '07 Trek 520, '10 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '92 Trek Multitrack 700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May your wife heal well, and soon.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, you are supporting your partner in a strong way - hang in there, brother, and keep us posted. While your touring plans have been a big part of your thoughts on all your rides around Katy, just hope for the best with your wife, know our prayers are with you and figure you'll get the opportunity when the time is right.

Besides, that B17 must not be broken in completely yet and every good tourer knows ya saddle gotta be right.

You da' man, George, you da' man...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good thing that you recognized it. Stay close to home & keep an eye on her.

Glad to hear that things are going well so far.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep posting, George.....Now that we know, we surly want to keep knowing. Our thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thoughts for your wife (and for you, George). You're now a cyclist even if your mileage will be down for a while. You can't escape that-- or us. You and your wife sound like a lovely couple. Stay with us.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God Bless your wife and you both George, you are a strong man. I hope she does well, do please keep us posted.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that news, George. As others have said, she is lucky to have you there with her. Have patience and listen to the doctors.

My Bikes
    CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT, Rodriguez , Bike Friday, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are lucky to have her. SHE suggested going for a short ride as you got home from the hospital? What a class act. When she heals back up it may be a tandem tour or maybe a three wheeler for her. I'll bet that she needs to know that she is not limiting you and to reaffirm that she too will be back. anyway my prayers are with you both. Tell her that it is not so different than when someone take a header, and you'll be there with her. We'll be here for you.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again everybody, I'm more worried than she is. She wants to go riding, and I'm saying just wait another week when you start the therapy. I guess it's good she feels that way, but it's worrying the hell out of me, if she falls, man!
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. I am afraid we will all have experiences like that unless we drop dead first.

I, of course, wish you the best and wish you strength.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your wife. But she seems to be a fighter (wanting to go back out for a ride) and thats great. Hope all is well soon and I'll be praying for you both.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there George. Best to you wife.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your wife sounds like a ****** George. I should know cause I married one too. Good thoughts going your way. Our prayers and thoughts to your and your wife. May she get well soon and be on the bike, safe and sound.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts are with you and your wife.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedy recovery to your wife.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh
    Your wife sounds like a ****** George. I should know cause I married one too. Good thoughts going your way. Our prayers and thoughts to your and your wife. May she get well soon and be on the bike, safe and sound.
    What he said x 2.

The ******

remember,this, too, shall pass...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast